Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2018, 11:20   #1

Boat: columbia 26
tank sizes on 34 foot 1964 saugeen witch

Hi, I'm trying to find out what the fuel, water and holding tank size would be on the steel hull 1964 gaff schooner saugeen witch.. Thank you!!
carolina55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 19:35   #2

Re: tank sizes on 34 foot 1964 saugeen witch

Since many, if not all of those were home built , the builder may have put any tankage they thought they needed. Often times more than a practical sailor would want but people feel huge tanks give security. You might look it up under BOAT DATA.COM and get an idea what the designer intended but I suspect that many will be more or less than intended. Sorry that I cant give you a number, but homebuilts vary a lot. Good Luck. Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 20:27   #3

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

As Grant mentioned, tank size and placement will likely vary from boat to boat.

Even ours (hull built by a professional yard, one of a series), may be unique as the builder would customize per customer request.

That said, Panope has what I believe to be 'standard' tanks (2) under the saloon settees. They are welded into the aluminum hull (hull skin is part of tanks) and are spec'd at 50 gallons each but I seem to get only about 45 gallons of USABLE capacity (90 total). I use these tanks for water.

When she was schooner rigged and set up for tropical offshore cruising, fuel was in a single tank of 30 gallons mounted in the lazarette. Currently, the boat is more of a motor sailer and set up for the inside passage/Alaska and can carry 90 gallons of fuel in two tanks under the pilot house settees.

Using a section of the keel box for a fuel tank has been done on some hulls. Size will vary depending on the amount and placement of ballast. I have fantasized about adding this to my boat and rough calculations indicate that about 50 gallons are possible in the (empty) aft end of the keel.

We have never had a holding tank.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:01   #4

Boat: columbia 26

Hi Steve, Thank you for your reply. I'm selling the boat for the owner who has a brain injury so he can't tell me either. The tank under the port settee looks new and could be 50 gal. and I know it's water. The fuel appears to be port side cockpit/laz area, I'm going in with the flashlight shortly. With only a 2 cylinder albin ,30 Gal.diesel sounds like adequate. I wouldn't think they were concerned with a holding tank in '64 on this boat either. I saw some pics of your boat...beautiful work. Thank you again....Martin
carolina55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size