Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-12-2015, 01:12   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Re: Tan sails

If you want something that appears authentic to the era of your boat, you might consider contacting the makers of Oceanus cloth, North Cloth. Call the main office and get the info directly from them.

It used to only be available for tallships in heavy weight but now Oceanus is available in lighter yacht weights appropriate for our boat as well as yours. It is not bright white--it is a more creamy color, it has more weave (heavy fiber) and less resin to it. Quite a nice cloth. I've seen it and like it alot. I was planning on doing a product review of the cloth--here is the price list of the cloth and I should have some additional reference links on the same page soon
"The only noble thing a man can do with money is to build a schooner." Robert Louis Stevenson

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 11:48   #17

Dacron sails being more expensive and deteriorating quicker doesn't fit my experience.
They're also easier on the eyes -reduced glare and prettier imho. They hark back to a day when tanning meant something, these days it's just an aesthetic choice and perhaps a sailor's statement "this is a serious cruising boat, not to be confused with those dizzy round the buoys boats". Ironically, there's a new charcoal sailcloth out now (I have it on good authority: they are made from thinly sliced graphite impregnated with diamond chips to reduce wind resistance) being used by racing yachts, yep, very sexy.:P

Folkboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 11:49   #18

Boat: 1980 Hunter 36

I really really like the look of tan sails, but I'm afraid they will look **** on my boat

S/V Gudgeon
alctel is offline   Reply With Quote

sail, sails

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: