Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2011, 05:55   #1

Boat: Morgan West Indies 36
Taller sailors?

Maybe I am on the wrong forum..rather new to this...OR there are no sailors over 6 feet tall...anyway, I am spending way too much time and money flying to SW Florida looking at sailboats in the 33 to 40 foot range that "fits" a tall (6'4") person. I am looking for something under 70K..preferably a lot under that...In a shallower keel as I like cruising around in the SW Florida area.

I have seen Tayanas...nice berths, but the draft is to large, and a 37 Tartan that my friend in Naples at 6 feet tall could barely fit in the largest berth.

What considerations should I be looking for?

Ron (not yet Captain Ron)
Sunyata197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 06:45   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Taller sailors?

We've had some past posts on this subject...this is just one http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tall-9298.html

If you go to the search tool and then search for "boats for tall sailors in the Google box you'll find more.
Good luck with it.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 07:36   #3

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum and enjoy the site..

Our boat is larger than you are looking for, but meets your other criteria, 6'4" to 6'8" headroom, main berth 6'4"...
'
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 08:22   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunyata197 View Post
Maybe I am on the wrong forum..rather new to this...OR there are no sailors over 6 feet tall...anyway, I am spending way too much time and money flying to SW Florida looking at sailboats in the 33 to 40 foot range that "fits" a tall (6'4") person. I am looking for something under 70K..preferably a lot under that...In a shallower keel as I like cruising around in the SW Florida area.

I have seen Tayanas...nice berths, but the draft is to large, and a 37 Tartan that my friend in Naples at 6 feet tall could barely fit in the largest berth.

What considerations should I be looking for?

Ron (not yet Captain Ron)
I am having the same problems (I am 6'4"). It APPEARS that the only ones I can trace down to being size appropriate are Endeavors, Gulfstars (both 40-42 range) and maybe the Morgan 416's.

If *anyone* has any other leads, I sure would appreciate it. Price range would be similar to OP, plus or minus.
Old 13-06-2011, 08:25   #5

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

Well I'm 6'3 and find that I rarely stand indoors so what's the problem. At sea it's just too much hard work to stand anywhere for long, and at the pontoon there's not much point.
Old 13-06-2011, 08:43   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

About the COLUMBIA 34 Mk II CB sailboat as well as other dinghies, and sailing yachts on sailboatdata.com
About the COLUMBIA 34 Mk II sailboat as well as other dinghies, and sailing yachts on sailboatdata.com
About the COLUMBIA 39-1 sailboat as well as other dinghies, and sailing yachts on sailboatdata.com

There were 352 34's built of all varieties and 43 39's. I don't know about berth length, but the standing headroom under the bubble is 7'ish. If you can live with the 5.5' draft the standard 34 will do you just nicely.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 08:48   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
There were 352 34's built of all varieties and 43 39's. I don't know about berth length, but the standing headroom under the bubble is 7'ish. If you can live with the 5.5' draft the standard 34 will do you just nicely.
Thanks for the info. I actually didn't see headroom as a dimension in your links. I was aware of that site, but headroom is usually not indicated
Old 13-06-2011, 09:02   #8

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

Last fall we bought a Hardin 45 for $73000. It has more than sufficient headroom and space. We've had 10 people out on her for a daysail and not felt cramped. Draft is 5'6". I'm only 6'2" but quite comfortable in berth and standing. The one thing I had to get used to are the many different floor levels and the shipboard style compartment doors, but I don 't even notice them now.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 09:07   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Thanks for the info. I actually didn't see headroom as a dimension in your links. I was aware of that site, but headroom is usually not indicated
I know about the headroom from having been aboard a 34. Also from reading sales brochures.

You can scale the headroom from lines drawings too if the drawing show floor, ceiling and some other dimension that you know like LOA. Just open the drawing in MicroSoft Paint and read off the x,y coordinates for the dimension you know, apply a little math to find out the multiplier then apply the multiplier to the difference between the floor and ceiling coordinates. Easier said than done, but a spreadsheet really speeds things up.

Columbia 34 Specifications
Columbia 39 Specifications
Columbia Yacht Corp
34 columbia 433
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 09:50   #10

Boat: Hunter 23.5, AMF Sunbird & 36' Prairie Trawler

Some friends of mine have a mid '90s Beneteau 32' that I'm comfortable in. I'm 6'4" and fit in the berths just fine. Head room is fine too, at least in the saloon.

Kevin
Tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 10:12   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

many columbias donot sail as well as my garden design formosa 41--you will want to sail everything you find just to see if you like it well enough to actually spend the money on buying it.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 10:22   #12

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Do like we did : find yourself a taller than you yacht broker, Our broker used to be a pro football lineman at 6' 8" and about 300 lb if he fits you will fit. He lives in Seattle though