Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2014, 10:36   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Posts: 255
Re: talk to me about the C&C landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
Hi: I almost bought one 1980 C&C Landfall sailboat for sale in North Carolina but gave it up after surveying it: The engine had a major leak at the heat exchanger, & in case of bigger engine problems, looking at its size, I couldn't see how to get it out without dismantling the kitchen partition Also the deck was not in such a good shape... In the end, I downsized my appetite & bought a 1987 Ericson 34' ($35,000) which I just sailed single-handed from Beaufort NC to Sint Maarten Dutch West Indies 11 days & nights

https://plus.google.com/photos/10591...64541288899041
Great photos! Looks like you had a fun time. I was also considering an Ericson 34, in Washington, but the shallow anchor chain pan was a bit of a dealbreaker for my cruising plans. Did you find any ways to improve upon the anchor platform situation?
__________________

__________________
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 10:45   #17
Senior Cruiser
 
CLady's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seattle
Boat: C&C40T 1980
Posts: 180
Re: talk to me about the C&C landfall 38

Do a full survey in/out of the water. Balsa core can be an issue. Keel attachment--check for any 'smile'--some of the C&C's had some smile. Mine had a small gap on the leading edge of the keel to keel stub attachment area--10 years ago, fully fixed it and not even a hairline shows up since then.

Also, check the smaller chainplate bulkhead through-deck attachment areas for leakage. Mine was kept well sealed and I have done the same for 15 years.

My C&C40T is my first boat and we are still ''best friends' after 15 years and much hard offshore sailing even with her tall rig--C&Cs are quite nimble so do a lot of reefing when it blows. They handle well out there.
__________________

__________________
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 11:15   #18
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,342
Re: talk to me about the C&C landfall 38

Balsa Core hull. Bolt on Keel, spade rudder; I would look at all those items very closely.
The only other thing is the stern looks pretty narrow, not sure if that's an IOR Rule leftover or not... but just thought I would mention it.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 11:47   #19
Senior Cruiser
 
CLady's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seattle
Boat: C&C40T 1980
Posts: 180
Re: talk to me about the C&C landfall 38

Yes--spade rudder, narrow stern, (yes, an old IOR rule beater design), et al--with proper sail plan setup, these are not such an issue. Too much sail loft downwind in following quartering seas, the narrow swept up stern can be squirrelly. The C&Cs are hearty, they don't surf, but they handle well in heavy weather. A good all-around boat.
__________________
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 12:20   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Massachussetts
Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Posts: 700
Re: talk to me about the C&C landfall 38

I've answered C&C questions in prior threads from my experience with the boats I've owned, worked on and sailed but would be happy to add a few comments.
the coring on older C&C's was to the waterline, below the waterline was solid, the original layups were of good quality. I owned a 38 racer/cruiser (not the Landfall) for 12 years while also owning other makes during that time. I've seen a couple of blisters on a couple C&C's but not like it was a common issue.
The hull coring was not an issue, I never had any issues with that aspect of the boat.
Deck cores, like any other manufacturer of fiberglass boats is a function of the original build quality and the owners maintenance, or lack thereof. Mine had some minor water intrusion when I bought it, mostly in small areas around some of the deck mounted hardware, just like every other used boat I've had, surprisingly not as bad as average. Mine was easily fixed by reaming out the core at the through bolt areas, pouring in rubbing alcohol to help dry it out, then filling the small void with thickened epoxy and re-drilling the mounting hole. My boat had received good care by it's previous owner so the water was confined to a small area around those holes.
Don't let the cored hull naysayers put you off. Just about every boat built has cored decks, where most of the problems with cores lye, unless the boat was of poor build quality, decks are where most boats have core issue, no matter what make.
They sail well, perform well and have great feel under sail. The Landfalls were some of the earlier "performance cruisers" during that period and carry a fair amount of sail area for their displacement compared to other cruising boats of that era, just reef a little earlier and she'll do just fine.
Electrical systems of that era were usually not done with tinned wiring and will usually need some attention if they haven't already, most builders in that period, and many today didn't use tinned wire in their production boats, I found it easier to re-wire the boat rather than waste time trying to repair the original. It took about 2-1/2 weekends to pull new wire, mount a replacement breaker panel and do all the reconnections, that included re-wiring the mast. Not a huge task but very rewarding since every time you flipped a switch the device worked, nice to know when your far from shore at night.
It basically comes down to the condition of the particular boat your looking at and how well it was cared for by the previous owner, as with any used boat. Layout and appointments are personal matters, whatever floats your boat.
The rod rigging is fine but of course it's a matter of personal preference there, make sure to get it inspected. As I've mentioned in previous comments, the rod rig is secured to the mast by toggles which screw on to the the mast by machined through bolts made of aluminum, these have caused several rig failures when the halyards were run incorrectly and eventually sawed through the toggle bolts allowing the shrouds to pop off.
I pulled the mast on my 38 the first year I had it and found this to be the case, fortunately I had the ability to make a set on my lathe and replace them, otherwise it's about $70.00 a piece to get someone to make them.
I suggest pulling the mast on any used boat you purchase and inspecting it, not matter what make, within the first year of ownership. Inspecting a rig that is standing is only half the job, there are many other possible failure points that cant be properly inspected until the mast is down and pulled apart.
I was very pleased with the performance, comfort, sea keeping ability and overall build quality of mine, I would buy another but my family has expanded and our cruising goals have also, so the C&C was put up for sale and a larger vessel has taken it's place, but I still miss the sweet sailing characteristics of that hull.
__________________
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 18:31   #21
Registered User
 
frozenhawaiian's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Portland, Maine
Boat: 1970 hinckley 38
Posts: 150
Re: talk to me about the C&C landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
I've answered C&C questions in prior threads from my experience with the boats I've owned, worked on and sailed but would be happy to add a few comments.
the coring on older C&C's was to the waterline, below the waterline was solid, the original layups were of good quality. I owned a 38 racer/cruiser (not the Landfall) for 12 years while also owning other makes during that time. I've seen a couple of blisters on a couple C&C's but not like it was a common issue.
The hull coring was not an issue, I never had any issues with that aspect of the boat.
Deck cores, like any other manufacturer of fiberglass boats is a function of the original build quality and the owners maintenance, or lack thereof. Mine had some minor water intrusion when I bought it, mostly in small areas around some of the deck mounted hardware, just like every other used boat I've had, surprisingly not as bad as average. Mine was easily fixed by reaming out the core at the through bolt areas, pouring in rubbing alcohol to help dry it out, then filling the small void with thickened epoxy and re-drilling the mounting hole. My boat had received good care by it's previous owner so the water was confined to a small area around those holes.
Don't let the cored hull naysayers put you off. Just about every boat built has cored decks, where most of the problems with cores lye, unless the boat was of poor build quality, decks are where most boats have core issue, no matter what make.
They sail well, perform well and have great feel under sail. The Landfalls were some of the earlier "performance cruisers" during that period and carry a fair amount of sail area for their displacement compared to other cruising boats of that era, just reef a little earlier and she'll do just fine.
Electrical systems of that era were usually not done with tinned wiring and will usually need some attention if they haven't already, most builders in that period, and many today didn't use tinned wire in their production boats, I found it easier to re-wire the boat rather than waste time trying to repair the original. It took about 2-1/2 weekends to pull new wire, mount a replacement breaker panel and do all the reconnections, that included re-wiring the mast. Not a huge task but very rewarding since every time you flipped a switch the device worked, nice to know when your far from shore at night.
It basically comes down to the condition of the particular boat your looking at and how well it was cared for by the previous owner, as with any used boat. Layout and appointments are personal matters, whatever floats your boat.
The rod rigging is fine but of course it's a matter of personal preference there, make sure to get it inspected. As I've mentioned in previous comments, the rod rig is secured to the mast by toggles which screw on to the the mast by machined through bolts made of aluminum, these have caused several rig failures when the halyards were run incorrectly and eventually sawed through the toggle bolts allowing the shrouds to pop off.
I pulled the mast on my 38 the first year I had it and found this to be the case, fortunately I had the ability to make a set on my lathe and replace them, otherwise it's about $70.00 a piece to get someone to make them.
I suggest pulling the mast on any used boat you purchase and inspecting it, not matter what make, within the first year of ownership. Inspecting a rig that is standing is only half the job, there are many other possible failure points that cant be properly inspected until the mast is down and pulled apart.
I was very pleased with the performance, comfort, sea keeping ability and overall build quality of mine, I would buy another but my family has expanded and our cruising goals have also, so the C&C was put up for sale and a larger vessel has taken it's place, but I still miss the sweet sailing characteristics of that hull.

thanks very much for the info, I'm going to have a look at the boat first hand once I get back from my christmas travel
__________________
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 02:08   #22
Sponsoring Vendor
 
LTDsailing's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Grenada, West Indies
Posts: 248
Re: talk to me about the C&C landfall 38

Great boats! Definitely a solid blue water cruising design.
__________________
Chris Rundlett
LTD Sailing - Living the Dream!
www.ltdsailing.com

LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 05:45   #23
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: St-Barthelemy Island, French West Indies
Boat: Ericson 34
Posts: 325
Images: 1
Re: talk to me about the C&C landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessellate View Post
Great photos! Looks like you had a fun time. I was also considering an Ericson 34, in Washington, but the shallow anchor chain pan was a bit of a dealbreaker for my cruising plans. Did you find any ways to improve upon the anchor platform situation?
I agree with you, but I'll modify the anchor locker using it only for the anchor; I'll installed a MANUAL windlass (On a 6 metric ton sailboat that's plenty enough) on deck with chain/line going under the anchor locker via a pipe. I waterproof the pipe when going sailing. I could also replace the present locker by a deeper one with the windlass inside... What do you think ? Remember also that new ROCNA anchors are better than my current CQR & don't need to be as heavy ! I'll have 10 meters of chain + line... Most of the time I won't use the windlass, but it's nice to have it when needed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ManualWindlass.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	94160  
__________________
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 13:05   #24
Registered User
 
westsail374's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Durham, NC
Boat: Looking...
Posts: 318
Re: talk to me about the C&C landfall 38

Language lesson:

Balsa core means RUN AWAY!
__________________
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 13:53   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,924
Re: talk to me about the C&C landfall 38

Now, now lets not get silly about balsa core. Almost all the boats use balsa cored decks plus the C&C cores the hull only to the waterline. That company knew what they were doing with cored hulls and decks but any cored hull/deck should be carefully inspected. Older boats with coring below the water line should be really well inspected but I know of several designs that are built that way and are still in excellent condition. Keep in mind in those days C&C was one of the largest boat builders in the world with a very solid reputation to go with it.
__________________
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 14:26   #26
Marine Service Provider
 
boatpoker's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario or Bahamas
Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Posts: 2,593
Re: talk to me about the C&C landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Now, now lets not get silly about balsa core. Almost all the boats use balsa cored decks plus the C&C cores the hull only to the waterline.
Quite simply .... NOT true ! The vast majority of C&C boats 32' and up were balsa cored to within 18" of the center line. I have surveyed hundreds of C&C's and have never seen one (over 32') cored to only the waterline (although George Cuthbertson told me they built a few "specials" in their Bruckmann custom shop with solid glass hulls and balsa to the waterline but these were few and far between custom builds)

It is very simple to prove the balsa goes to within 18" of the keel by getting into the bilge area and looking for the transition or simply read C&C's own literature, it is all on line or better yet call George, he'll tell you.
__________________
That hysterical laughter you hear as you sail a way in your "new" boat ..... is the seller.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 14:36   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,029
Re: talk to me about the C&C landfall 38

Not to say C&C wasn't a good boat...but any vintage C&C owner knows the phrase "C&C smile" referring to the way the keel stem usually opens up a bit as the boat ages. Boat, sold, and sailed by mortals.
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 14:37   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,924
Re: talk to me about the C&C landfall 38

Well I can always stand corrected. I owned 3 C&C over the years..a 24/27/36 I had no idea at the time they were cored to the centreline.
__________________
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 17:38   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1
Re: talk to me about the C&C landfall 38

I own a 1980 C&C Landfall 38. LOVE the boat! It's heavy enough to handle seas, sails ridiculously fast, and can handle gusts effortlessly. I wouldn't change much except maybe to have a bigger v-berth. My boat has crossed the Atlantic twice (previous owner) and cruised the Caribbeans. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. sailboatparbleu@gmail.com. Cheers. Nick.
__________________
Parbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 17:52   #30
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: St-Barthelemy Island, French West Indies
Boat: Ericson 34
Posts: 325
Images: 1
Re: talk to me about the C&C landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsail374 View Post
Language lesson:

Balsa core means RUN AWAY!
The problem is not balsa core or not: Most problems occur when owners add hardware to deck or hull without knowing what they're doing: I really like an O'Day 34 but turned it down after walking on the roof where previous owner(s) had added hardware. I felt the roof sinking under my weight (not much!)...
When it's done by the shipyard, usually they replace balsa core by solid hard wood core where a piece of hardware will be bolted... I remember seeing a wheel steering column that had been replaced on a C&N 39 with disastrous results: You could push the column sideway port & starboard & see the cockpit floor moving up & down wavelike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BalsaCore.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	94212  
__________________

__________________
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello from "new" C&C Landfall 43 owners sdcornwell Meets & Greets 4 20-04-2012 12:37
C & C Landfall 38 rod iiii Construction, Maintenance & Refit 7 06-08-2008 15:45
Just Daydreaming - Any Civilised First Landfall in New Jersey ? David_Old_Jersey Atlantic & the Caribbean 22 16-05-2007 10:36
C&C Landfall 38--where do you sleep? zippy Monohull Sailboats 1 26-09-2006 10:28
Landfall Yacht's???? kcrompton Monohull Sailboats 4 13-11-2005 09:56



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:29.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.