Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2016, 14:55   #61
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Talk Me Out of an Amel

One of the things I've always wondered about the Amels is why they don't seem to hold their value in the used boat market. Worth considering unless you are sure you are going to be keeping one a long time.
Old 11-02-2016, 14:59   #62

When looking for a boat, the best method is to bypass the boats that are in nice condition that meet your needs and are close to you, and to instead fall in love with a specific model of boat that's in some distant port and will require additional effort just to obtain.

Even better if the electronics don't match your home country.

You did say talk you out of it, right? There are plenty of fish in the sea. Or in this case, boats.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 15:55   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
One of the things I've always wondered about the Amels is why they don't seem to hold their value in the used boat market. Worth considering unless you are sure you are going to be keeping one a long time.
That's not my impression; but even assuming that your observation is accurate, is it relevant in the OP's case?

He was clear that "We are buying used by the way". Any unusual drop in value should already be reflected in the price he pays. E.g.:

(1) Tom pays $500,000 for a ten-year-old boat with a good reputation for holding its value (new cost to seller was $600,000). Five years later, he sells it for $450,000.

(2) Tom pays $300,000 for a ten-year-old boat with a poor reputation for holding its value (new cost to the seller was $600,000). Five years later, he sells it for $250,000.

While the original purchaser of boat #2 has clearly taken a bath, the further depreciation - $50,000 - suffered by Tom is the same as for boat #1.

Obviously my illustration assumes a lot of factors; but in principle, the 'value-holding' of a particular brand is largely a problem for original purchasers rather than secondhand buyers.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 16:04   #64

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
I would suggest they have held their value better than most. Prices have come down in recent times but that is across the board for most yachts.
And regarding another poster comparing the speed of his Tpi cat to an Amel ? Apples and oranges.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 16:06   #65
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svanen View Post
That's not my impression; but even assuming that your observation is accurate, is it relevant in the OP's case?
Of course it is!! A boats history in retaining value/price should be considered when getting a boat. Even my lowly Hunter that I got 5 years ago, which for my model just seem to still be listed at about the same price I paid.
Old 11-02-2016, 16:12   #66

Boat: Passport 40

My suggestion...crawl around a few boats and make up your own mind!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 16:23   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Just for the record - I love Amels and I love France.

Yeah, a few people missed the obvious response to the thread title, including the OP. I couldn't believe the extent of the humour bypass some have had.

eta: Must admit though, a Nation that can come up with such genius as the 2CV, misses the point of it completely with something like a cAmel, and then, STOPS MAKING THE 2CV?

Mind boggling!

Oh the huge manatee.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 16:29   #68

Boat: Valiant 50

Quote:
Boats have a value on the used boat market?.. Coulda fooled me.

My experience with the SM53 is quite the opposite - when we were looking to buy one, their resale asking prices did not reflect what you say. The sellers were very firm in maintaining their asking price and all the boats sold within a few months. These were all well maintained, low mileage boats which sold easily.

Truth is, any boat is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it on any given day. It could be "worth" $50K more the day after you sell it because another person has come along and is prepared to pay that much more for it.
Old 11-02-2016, 16:46   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I would suggest they have held their value better than most. Prices have come down in recent times but that is across the board for most yachts.
FWIW, that is my impression too. Of course, different perceptions of value may apply in different localities … although the Internet has now limited major pricing variations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
My experience with the SM53 is quite the opposite - when we were looking to buy one, their resale asking prices did not reflect what you say. The sellers were very firm in maintaining their asking price and all the boats sold within a few months.
+1 (see above).

Quote:
Of course it is!! A boats history in retaining value/price should be considered when getting a boat.
I can only suggest that you read the rest of my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
Truth is, any boat is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it on any given day. It could be "worth" $50K more the day after you sell it because another person has come along and is prepared to pay that much more for it.
So true! Sellers and their brokers are free to ask whatever prices they want, but the purchaser determines the true value.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 17:33   #70

Boat: Nauticat 32

I have no interest to talk you out of an Amel. They are excellent boats for safe and comfortable cruising (i.e. for you). Buy one.

But if you are still not convinced, some other similar manufacturers that you might consider are Hallberg-Rassy, Najad and Nauticat (my favourite of course ). Visit one of each, and you'll know which brand and style is best for you.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 21:37   #71

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: French bashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svanen View Post
Why do people feel the need to post such offensive nonsense?

Hunters are certainly not my choice but - as I said with Bavarias - they are built to a price point, which is fine … not everyone can or wants to pay big bucks for a toy. They are a relatively inexpensive way to get out on the water; not highest quality but not "junk" either.

Oh sure. Renault has become one of the world's largest auto manufacturers because no one buys its products. Peugeot's and Citroën's proud histories and growing market shares internationally (especially in developing countries) are inventions of some Eurotrash media conspiracy. And no one in his right mind would be caught dead in a Bugatti.

(1) Les Glénans is one of the best, and oldest, yachting schools in the world.

(2) Besides Amels, the French make other excellent boats: e.g., Pogo, Aulubat (Ovni), Garcia. And of course Beneteau and Jeanneau rule the charter market. This has not happened in a vacuum, exclusively serving a foreign customers.

(3) If/when you do any actual ocean cruising, you will encounter plenty of French boats. Many are small boats crewed by families, making impressive voyages. While unfortunately I cannot say that French cruisers have an unblemished reputation, they are certainly 'out there' and in force.

These sort of disgraceful comments have no place on a civilized forum.
Thank you very much, Svanen, for your polite rebuttal. Maybe the poster didn't read the "be nice" rule....

Ann
Old 11-02-2016, 22:24   #72

Boat: I am working on find out

Amel's resale value is based on Euro. You may feel they are not holding their value when the $ is strong, but the truth is that it is the time to buy...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
banyuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 00:19   #73

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

You want Amel !?

I guess you are mid-ageed, family oriented, over judicious, reasonably affluent, safety-conscious and over-protective guy... :-) (driving a Volvo SW or a Navigator!?)

There is nothing wrong with it, of course!

But, your list of pros (furlers, ketch, cockpit frame....) are, though not ordinary, quite normal to find, and unimpressive to me. More.. any boat of 50'+ is interesting... one way or another.

Watch and compare to any Oysters, Moody, or Baltic/Swans from the 90s... and tell me what you don't find on Amel (performance, beauty, elegance, details, brand allure, renowned design, resellability w-w).

You want to be more odd!? Hans Christian, HR, old Najad, any custom design of an intl. designer.

You want to buy a cheaper Amel !? Go for the Vagabond, or any nice (Italian/dutch) motorsailer from the 80's.

PS I love French women (not their cuisine) and great cars (Peugeot rivals Audi at the 24h LeMans..., a Citroen DS is an all-time beauty...).

I would buy a French boat IF I could consider an IMOCA-derived cruiser, or a solo-trimaran..

The French have little class at sea (though being great sailors on average...) . E.g.:
My boat p.o. was French, .. I used their dishes and salad bowls for my dog, and the mugs for engine cleaning :-)
My workers disgusted their wines, which I used to flush heads

Yes , anyone has odd cousins :-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:28   #74

On a serious note, there are two reasons I wouldn't buy an Amel:

1) I can't afford one;

2) If I could afford an Amel, I'd buy a new Rival.

Then the only problem I would have, would be deciding whether to buy a new Rival 32 (always, always, always, wanted one), or, to follow my friend's advice to "Just buy the 36!" (he told me this while owning a 36, and having had a 32 prior), I did like his Rival 36 very much, and he may have a point.

But personally, I just don't get this infatuation with big boats, in what is in fact, a very tiny percentage of boating people. Aren't 99% of yachts under 40 ft in length or something?

Let's face it, a 40 ft yacht is a pretty big yacht, and no matter how much I am worth in the end (I could buy something quite a bit bigger in another couple of years), I STILL wouldn't want even a 40 ft yacht.

I'm really not interested in anything over 35ft, and even that with serious reservations.

A 32 ft yacht, everybody, male or female, large or small, unless disabled (and only then needing minor modifications to change the situation) can handle them without power this or power that, and if those on board can sleep and travel in absolute comfort and safety (and they CAN), just what is the point?

Is it making a statement? If so, who to? Yourselves?

Because perhaps all it is really saying to the 99% of boaters, is what a bunch of idiots?

Maybe all they want to do, is spend $1,000,000 on a boat, and then spend all their time on YouTube, begging for handouts?
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:50   #75

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
Let's face it, a 40 ft yacht is a pretty big yacht, and no matter how much I am worth in the end (I could buy something quite a bit bigger in another couple of years), I STILL wouldn't want even a 40 ft yacht.
Is it? Have you ever tried loading a boat less than 40ft with 6-9 months worth of stores, plus clothing, plus other bits and pieces for more than a couple? If you have, you'll know anything under 40ft makes life quite difficult.

Quote:
Maybe all they want to do, is spend $1,000,000 on a boat, and then spend all their time on YouTube, begging for handouts?
Wow, this smacks of jealousy. If it's a reference to Delos (which I really hope it isn't, as that thread's been done to death), they produce good quality videos for the public's viewing pleasure and if you feel like donating, you donate. It's not like they're sitting around on a yacht in the tropics, begging for welfare...

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote