Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 05:15   #31

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Taking the Plunge on Skookum 53

I cannot speak to that specific vessel. I do have some experience with Skookums, spent my youth sailing on a 47 and own a 53'. As far as I know they never had a cored hull, all hand laid up FRP. My vessel is circa 1977, and the one I sailed on was a 1974. Neither of them have a cored hull. Never had a problem with blisters, doesn't mean it can't happen. If the vessel has been on the hard for a few years, it would be a simple, easy, less expensive fix to apply a barrier coat now before she goes in the water. As far as the ones built in Port Townsend by Skookum marine, there is no other boat for me, they are sea worthy, sea kindly, stronger than anything they are putting out today, and they glide through the water effortlessly. I have not ridden a power only unit, I prefer to sail, so I couldn't tell you about how she rides. I believe Ed Monk Sr. was the designer for the hull, I know he did the 47s. I love them, but I am biased.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:40   #32

Hey Capt 58, Thanks for the input. I was told by a guy from the yard that takes care of the boat that when they drilled holes in the hull for the stabilizer installation water came out of the laminate caused by a crack at the cap rail. He said they infrared photographed the hull to find out where the water was coming from, found the crack and had it repaired by a fiberglass company then dried it all out. Me being an ex Vietnam combat soldier, I immediately ran for cover I pulled out of the deal yesterday.
jbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:43   #33
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbow View Post
Hey Capt 58, Thanks for the input. I was told by a guy from the yard that takes care of the boat that when they drilled holes in the hull for the stabilizer installation water came out of the laminate caused by a crack at the cap rail. He said they infrared photographed the hull to find out where the water was coming from, found the crack and had it repaired by a fiberglass company then dried it all out. Me being an ex Vietnam combat soldier, I immediately ran for cover I pulled out of the deal yesterday.

Yeah, bad move. I know the "Queen" quite well. In fact, I'm most likely the guy who performed the repair in question. That boat has been extremely well maintained, with an absolute fortune dropped on systems and upgrades. If that type of vessel appeals to you, and she is certainly quite different, you would be very hard pressed to find a better offer. I did the glass work on the stabilizer install, and built the fly bridge. Also did a full blister job on the bottom, and a long list of other work. If you like the boat, I wouldn't refuse her over any structural concerns. She's extremely solid.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:54   #34

Thanks much for the input about the boat. I was initially OK with what the yard fella told me but woke up in the middle of the night worrying about it. I'm sure it is fine but, I'm going to pass on it and keep looking. The entire control thing from the flybridge only felt odd to me too. I learned long ago - if it don't feel right - don't do it.
jbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 16:12   #35

Boat: Skookum Monk ketch 47

Hello Gordon,

We are nearing a complete rebuild of our Skookum 47 in Oriental, NC. I'd been aboard a Skookum 53 some years ago and thought it to be a "dream boat". Congratulations on being the owner and caretaker of a wonderful vessel.

Amongst all the projects that have been done on our boat was a complete rewiring. I calculated on 3% voltage drop for most of the circuits, labelled both ends of each wire, new circuit breakers, and new layout. Hundreds of pictures along the way as well as a file folder full of hand sketched circuit drawings. I've been searching for software that will enable the production of schematics like you have shown us. Bravo! Will you please message me with what you used?

Drakus is near receiving paint on spars and decks after having new decks made. We're hoping to be on the water in November 2014.
dsiddens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 16:46   #36
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Congratulations Gordon on choosing one of my favorite designs.
I spent a lot of time in Pt Townsend crawling thru the Skokums as it was my dream boat.
As you can see I ended up buying a dutch (Corten Steel) yacht of similar design.

May you be as happy as we are, after 10 years of ownership!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1407800805615.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	86439  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 19:47   #37

Boat: Skookum 53 ketch

Hi Gordon,
We are now back in AZ. Our modifications to the port water tank and forward port fuel tank are mostly finished. I have 8 pages of write-up on the details that I will posting on my Skookum John thread, on what we did (with materials and processes / engineering slant) and what we found. On Skookum John, those are the only tanks that are easily accessible.
I had a lot of help from wife on this. About 6 weeks ago I pinched a nerve in my shoulder. It has not fixed itself and I have only limited use of my right arm, plus a lot of continuous pain. I was fortunate to have all her help in finishing that project. Along those lines: although my re-build has been stretched out, and I do love to work on the boat, one of the biggest rewards for buying the boat has been the development of teamwork between my wife and I as we work the different projects. I think that may be pretty common for owners of cruising boats, but not near as common for couples that do not own boats.
Bill
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:39   #38

Boat: Skookum 53

My goodness it has been a long time since I have logged in. I lot has happened that has kept me away. 1) Retired from engineering 2014, 2) remodel townhouse and sold it 2014 3) started small business 2015 and remodeled two houses, 4) went to work part time for West Marine in Port Townsend WA where I am there electronics and tech expert and then replaced roof on my own house in 2016.

The Phoenix Rising has also been undergoing changes. Last June 2015 we had coupler go out and damage prop shaft and transmission. Needed new tranny, stuffing box and shaft. Found adding this to my Ford Lehman 2711E engine did not make since. The engine is 1965 and is getting to hard to find part for.

So I am in process for repowering in March. I will be going with Betamarine 105 and PRM 500 gear box.

I will try to keep things updated.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:26   #39

Hi Gordan,
Same here, as far as being absent. This website was giving me a lot of trouble with its obnoxious advertising, so it kind of got to be un-attractive. I retired (systems reliability engr, but an EE) in 2013, but still do consulting on a government project, and still run a weekly national teleconference on failure mechanisms. Like you, I spent a lot of time on my house roof in Arizona in 2016. and I continue to work on the boat (still on the hard). My wife is now trying to partially retire, so we should have more time available to be at the boatyard in La Connor.
I need to add a post to my Skookum thread on the many pages I wrote about adding access ports to the forward fiberglass water and fuel tanks. And also document some very interesting repairs we did last year. And I need to catch up with Brad's posts, and others.
Engines: my engine is a Gardner 6LXB. It is not as powerful as a 471, but is physically larger. Gardner went out of business many years ago, but there is a bit of an "after-market" activity since they last so long. Cruising speed with the 6LXB is about 1000 rpm. Last summer, I spent a week on a restored 58 foot wood "mission boat" that operates sea kayak cruises out of Port McNeil. That had a Gardner 8L3, which is massive compared to the 6LXB. Cruising speed for that boat was 467 rpm. Incredible.
Bill
Old 02-02-2017, 12:31   #40

Boat: Skookum 53'

Hi Guys, just checking in, I took "Rose" from Homer area to the WA area last fall. The refit was as done as I could do there, and I tried my hand at jigging for rockfish and cod, but the regulations and biomass were against me. We motored from Homer to Sitka and spent a week there visiting with friends and then headed south to try and salvage the season, alas we arrived too late in OR to catch enough Albacore to make it worth our while. However the boat performed well and we never had cause for worry, we did ride out a couple of big blows offshore and she acquitted herself well. From my calculations we burned and average 1.875 gallons per hour with the genset and main running the whole time. The only fly in the ointment was developing a leak in the reduction gear control box, that pushed about a gallon of oil out for every 24 hours of operation. Rose is on the hard in Port Angeles until spring and then we'll get the reduction gear repaired and start the fish fight all over again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	107.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	457.7 KB
ID:	140552   Click image for larger version

Name:	081.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	140553  

Name:	115.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	140554   Click image for larger version

Name:	067.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	140555  

Old 04-08-2020, 16:25   #41

Just trying to get back into the communication loop with the Skookum 53 crowd, particularly Gordon in Pleasant Harbor, and Brad / Captain 58 (wherever he is). We had to move the Skookum John to Anacortes last summer, because the boatyard in La Connor was being sold off in pieces. So everybody had to move out, with most of us ending up in Anacortes. There was a Skookum 50 sloop in that boatyard in La Connor.