Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2010, 13:17   #1

Tacking Genoa

So I have I believe a 120-130% Genoa. It is a furling setup.

I just purchased my boat and tried it briefly yesterday. When tacking the Genoa gets hooked up at times when coming across the bow.

Tell me i don't have to furl the Genoa in a bit before each tack? If I'm going up wind in a fairly narrow channel where I would only be on each tack for 5 min, that seems like a lot of work?
outdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 13:28   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
One tip is to minimize flapping....

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor View Post
So I have I believe a 120-130% Genoa. It is a furling setup.

I just purchased my boat and tried it briefly yesterday. When tacking the Genoa gets hooked up at times when coming across the bow.

Tell me i don't have to furl the Genoa in a bit before each tack? If I'm going up wind in a fairly narrow channel where I would only be on each tack for 5 min, that seems like a lot of work?
... through preparation and good timing.

* Get a single turn (perhaps 2 in higher winds) on the new working winch. Do not load the self tailer. Get a winch handle handy to that new working winch.
* Uncleat the old working sheet and hold it in your hand. The winch handle should be off.
* Start the tack. As soon as the jib lifts, begin hauling in on the new side. Don't just let the old sheet fly; keep a little tension on it. Just enough to damp the flapping.
* If you time it right, very little grinding should be needed on the new working side. You will have hauled it in by hand JUST as the breeze gets to it. Crank in the last bit.

Practice tacking over and over, looking at what you did. Have someone else do it, and just watch. Watch a race crew do it that is smooth. Extra hands help, but it is really sequence. Roll up a little and practice that way - it's easier - then gradually roll it out.
Old 19-04-2010, 13:34   #3

Thanks, I will try that. I did start with a few wraps around the new winch, but I was just letting the old sheet fly loose, perhaps that is it.
Old 19-04-2010, 13:35   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
If you're going to be short-tacking, simply furl the sail in until the clew is just forward of the mast and proceed apace. Done properly, you'll not even need a winch to trim the sail on the new tack. Better tho', unless you really need the headsail, simply furl the thing and sail with the main only as, tacking that often (5 minutes?) is going to create more drag and back winding, and slow you down more, than not using the sail at all. Moreover, a C&C 27 should sail pretty well under main only, no?

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 13:36   #5

I tried sailing close hauled with Main only and after a few minutes realized I was not moving anywhere. So unfurled the jib
Old 19-04-2010, 13:53   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Hummm... That's surprising as one of our neighbors has a C&C 27 and she sails her boat under main only very neatly in the lighest of zyphers. Be sure you've released the vang and perhaps eased the outhaul a bit. Other than that, and perhaps sailing a little freer, I'm out of ideas.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 13:55   #7

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
The first year I raced on another boat, My position was fordeck.. Id strap myself in at the forward side of the mast and it was my job to get the sail from one side to the other....If you've got an extra person, put them on the fordeck......
And if the waters you sail are the norm, you might want to add a belly-button ring in the sail.. The ring is about half way up the foot of the sail.. run a line from the ring to a block at the base of the forward sail and back to the cockpit.. We used to have a water ski handle on ours in the cockpit.. after you turn lose of the sheet, give the handle a pull, and it'll suck the sail up to the forestay, and then pull it back down the other side.......
It sounds complicated but once you've done it a few times, the whole process can be done in 4 to 5 seconds.. about what it takes to tack..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 14:16   #8

Saioling main only you will need to drop the traveler a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor View Post
I tried sailing close hauled with Main only and after a few minutes realized I was not moving anywhere. So unfurled the jib
Just enough to correct for the fact that there is no jib turning the air in front of it, and to help relieve weather helm. That should do it.

Just leave one loose turn on the old winch, but it depends on the wind. Experiment.

Also, it is sometimes possible to cover snag points with a bungee cord.
Old 19-04-2010, 17:21   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
We have a 150% genny. In light winds it does hang up on the baby stay.

Our experience is the opposite of thin water. We let the wind blow the genny through before tensioning on the new tack.

With any tension on the new sheet the problem is worse.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 18:44   #10

Which just goes to show, every boat is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
We have a 150% genny. In light winds it does hang up on the baby stay.

Our experience is the opposite of thin water. We let the wind blow the genny through before tensioning on the new tack.

With any tension on the new sheet the problem is worse.
I have no baby stay. My last boat did, in which case ex-calif is correct and hauling should be limit to taking up slack. In fact, I don't haul hard immediately; I let the wind carry it across to some extent.

Heavy wind and light winds are different. Strong winds call for quicker hauling to avoid hang-ups on mast winches, light winds the drifter method is better.

Try some different things and watch the sail and sheets as you try them.
Old 20-04-2010, 05:20   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Thanks Thinwater I agree 100% (or is that 130% like the genny?)

I do have to admit that a crewman tore our old genny by dragging the sail across the front of the mast and having it catch on the steaming light - Ouch ;-(
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Genoa