Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2019, 22:07   #1

Boat: Navigator 4800
Swinomish Channel from Anacortes to Seattle

Been cruising the PNW for a few years now, but I have never gone down the Swinomish channel. I’m going to be in Anacortes and looking at taking this route to avoid the outside trip. My Tartan 3700 draws 7.3 feet and I have not been able to find good/reliable data on the depth. Anyone have experience going this route with a similarly deep boat. Thanks for any assistance.
Yngvepau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 23:11   #2

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Swinomish Channel from Anacortes to Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yngvepau View Post
Been cruising the PNW for a few years now, but I have never gone down the Swinomish channel. I’m going to be in Anacortes and looking at taking this route to avoid the outside trip. My Tartan 3700 draws 7.3 feet and I have not been able to find good/reliable data on the depth. Anyone have experience going this route with a similarly deep boat. Thanks for any assistance.

We have been through the Swinomish Channel several times in the last couple of years (during and after the last major dredging) with a 6'4" draft. The section north of Laconner is in good shape. South of the bridge still has some shoaling but you can pick your way through it. The straight channel section on the southern entry is very shallow at low low monthly lunar tides, less than 6'0" at times. Stirs up mud, watch the strainers! The biggest impediment has been the Burlington Northern swing bridge has been in use the last few years delivering fracked oil unit trains to the refinery. Apparently there is a schedule posted somewhere but I can't find it. Twice on the northbound I have gone through Laconner and remarked at the number of vessels tied to the city/fuel docks only to arrive at a closed BN bridge. Luckily the wait was only an hour in one instance. For the first thirty years, I never saw it in use.

Still, on average you have less time invested than hitting slack times at Deception.
japarker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 01:49   #3

We went south a couple of years ago in a Tartan 30, but that only draws 5’.
Had some issues getting out of the inside dock at La Connor in a strong current, stick to the outside of the dock.
Locals said to stay close to the north wall of the channel after the 90 degree turn to starboard at the bottom end, it shoals rapidly.
We emerged unscathed, not sure if we would do it again, but it was certainly a learning opportunity...
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 07:44   #4

Boat: 55' Romsdal

We draw 7.5 feet, and never any problems until you are exiting the channel South of LaConner. I've high centered Delfin there and had to wait for the tide to lift me off. So time it so you get to that area near high tide.
Lots of current in the channel, BTW .
Old 20-08-2019, 07:54   #5

Boat: 2008 Nordic Tug 37

I only draw 4' so I can't speak to the depth issues, but:
1. Calculate to pass La Conner at high tide
2. Call Twin Bridges Marina to find out if the bridge it open or closed. (360) 466-1443
3. I don't think the bridge schedule is online anymore. It was there during repairs but I think it's gone now. Even when it was online, it wasn't accurate.
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 08:03   #6

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterford View Post
I only draw 4' so I can't speak to the depth issues, but:
1. Calculate to pass La Conner at high tide
2. Call Twin Bridges Marina to find out if the bridge it open or closed. (360) 466-1443
3. I don't think the bridge schedule is online anymore. It was there during repairs but I think it's gone now. Even when it was online, it wasn't accurate.
The bridge is open 99% of the time. It only opens for the oil trains and I don't think those arrive on a set schedule.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 08:55   #7

We have done this many times now with also a 7.4 draw. We watch for tides carefully and time ourselves to high tide. Really very easy if you just make sure the tides are with you.
jcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 09:12   #8

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

We have travelled the Swinomish Channel in our 8' draft vessel. We like to stop in La Conner for a nice meal. In fact this is one of our favorite trips.

We've had no problems however we watched the tide level and we stayed to the deep water (east) side passing Shelter Bay. The charts we have show the drying areas there. The marked channels to the north of the rail bridge and to the south of Hole in the Wall should be followed carefully, there are mud flats on either side. Exiting the channel on the south end make sure you go all the way well past the last red buoy, Skagit Bay has extensive shallows.

Minimum tidal range in the Swinomish Channel is about 7 feet. At times of spring tides the range can be over 12 feet. So if you plan your passage to coincide with high water you should see sufficient depths. The slack high water is a few hours after the Anacortes time of high water. (In other words the current continues to flow and the tide continues to rise for 2.5-4 hours after high tide. The same delay happens with the low tide.) This duration of this delay depends on the weather and the local (Skagit) river flows. I do not know exactly how to predict this.

Going southbound it does not work very well, if you enter on a rising tide the current will be against you.

If you are waiting for the rail bridge, watch out where the current takes you.

The following web sites are helpful: https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/no...48558&legacy=1

Navigating the Swinomish Channel - Port of Skagit

Slack water occurs 2.5-4 hours after high or low tide

Flood is northbound
The current flows north from 2.5-4 hours before high tide to 2.5-4 hours after high tide

Ebb is southbound
The current flows south from 2.5-4 hours before low tide to 2.5-4 hours after low tide

Inside of Whidbey the currentdirection is opposite of Admiralty Inlet and with careful timing it can be an advantage for you: Go southbound inside of Whidbey on an ebb timing it to be at Possession Point at slack low water, then catch the flood down to Seattle. This avoids the strong ebb currents in Admiralty Inlet.

But you won't avoid a strong southerly by going inside. the wind rips up the inside of Whidbey and beating south in Skagit Bay and Saratoga Passage involves a lot of tacks since the channel is narrow. At least the waves will be small.
Old 20-08-2019, 09:29   #9

Boat: Navigator 4800

Thanks everyone for great info. This is why I love this site..... I’ll just go outside, seems like less work and more time for a Scotch😜
Yngvepau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 09:31   #10

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 39

I agree with the previous comments regarding timing of tides and areas of caution. Currents do tend to be strong at times making docking an issue if you aren’t paying attention. With a draft of 6’2” we did touch bottom once south of the bridge at LaConner. I took my eyes off the plotter for a few seconds and drifted into that shoal. Watch your plotter like a hawk and you will be fine.
Mr O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 11:57   #11

Boat: American Marine, Mayflower, 40

I often travel this route. I draw 7'. By buoys #6 & #8 there is ~6' at "0". I usually time my trek through the Swinomish Channel for +1.5 on incoming tide. Stay in the channel as marked on your chart plotter! Also in Skagit Bay heading north stay well inside the red buoys. The current has a habit of driving you on to the shallows of the Skagit River Delta. Do not be fooled by five mile distance from the mainland shore to the east. Stay closer to Whidbey Island. Also don't cut the corner, don't turn east until you past #2!
Captain John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 12:03   #12

Boat: American Marine, Mayflower, 40

Sorry my post assumed you were going north. On rereading it you are going south. another hint: there are range markers in Dugualla Bay once you get through "the Hole in the Wall" just keep them lined up and you're golden!
Captain John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 12:03   #13

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Been through there quite a few times drawing 7 ft.. Pick the highest high you can. Enter slightly prior to high slack. Stay in the center. Go slowly. Always a bit of a nail biter.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 12:12   #14

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Pay attention to the tide table!
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 18:47   #15

Boat: Catalina 36

I only go when tides are +2’ and then I had several spots with 6” of water under the keel (6’). With your depth I’d wait until you have +4.
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seattle