Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2014, 13:54   #1

swing keel stuck in trunk

I'm working on pulling a very shy swing keel down from the trunk (for function, not for overall removal) where it has been happily living for probably 7 or 8 years. The boat is a sweet little 1968 Morgan 25. The swing keel pennant and block and tackle arrangement seem all to be fine and there are no obvious obstructions that can be seen in the trunk, but the sucker will not drop. The boat is on stands for the next month. Any ideas from you swing keel guys out there? Thanks!!
Perdiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 16:25   #2

Boat: Clipper Mk II , 17 ft fractional rigged sloop
Re: swing keel stuck in trunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdiddle View Post
I'm working on pulling a very shy swing keel down from the trunk (for function, not for overall removal) where it has been happily living for probably 7 or 8 years. The boat is a sweet little 1968 Morgan 25. The swing keel pennant and block and tackle arrangement seem all to be fine and there are no obvious obstructions that can be seen in the trunk, but the sucker will not drop. The boat is on stands for the next month. Any ideas from you swing keel guys out there? Thanks!!
I had the same problem with my 17ft Clipper II . it had jammed in side ways ,or should I say it had twisted itself in a clockwise rotation in the up position . I ended up taking the boat off the trailer , rolling it half over , than hitting it with a sledge hammer . this jarred it out of the trunk. it has worked properly ever since .

good luck

jimmy
HVYJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 16:37   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Those were iron centerboards and they rust such that they swell against the sides of the trunk. They can be very difficult to get down when they do this. It certainly won't drop by itself. You will need to get some type of grip on it and pull it down - most likely with help of levers or hydraulics. If you can't get a grip, see if you can drill a hole in the edge and tap it to take a bolt. Bolt a loop of chain onto the board and use a lever to pull down on it. Use a hydraulic jack to push down on it if necessary.

When it is out, you will need to grind the rust sheets off of it and decide if it is salvageable or necessary to make a new one.

BTW, that is a sweet little boat.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 16:52   #4

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

If rust is the trouble, I wonder if pouring some phosphoric or muriatic acid on it would help bust off the worst of it. Maybe multiple treatments over several days. Or just spray a few cans of PB Blaster in there. . . ?
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 17:01   #5

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

Someone who has the same boat as me was able to knock it down from the top-as said rig up a lever system with a long arm going towards the stern out the hatch. Get some movement winching up and levering down. Some lube should help.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 17:57   #6

However you choose to free it - chock it so it can't fall more than an inch or two at a time
bornyesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 10:53   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Also, if the boat has been on a trailer or on stands a long time the hull might be deformed just enough to squeeze the centerboard trunk and hold the centerboard in place. Sometimes just putting the boat in the water for awhile will relax the hull so that it'll work again.
Old 23-05-2014, 11:19   #8

Can you access the top of the trunk? a big rod and heavy hammer come to mind......

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 12:37   #9

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Not sure if this helps but I had a 17 foot daysailor with a swing keel and I drilled a hole through the aft part of the trunk, used a metal rod to push the centerboard down when it became incrusted with growth
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 14:58   #10

Thanks to all who responded to my request re: lowering a stuck swing keel in a Morgan 25. I've got some work to do, but the combination of generously contributed wisdom has that obstinate keel shaking in its boots.
Perdiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 16:38   #11

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Let us know how it goes. We all love a good project -- especially one done by someone else. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 18:43   #12

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdiddle View Post
I've got some work to do, but the combination of generously contributed wisdom has that obstinate keel shaking in its boots.
That alone may be enough to free it.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, morgan