Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2008, 07:32   #1

Boat: Hunter Passage 45 "On On"
Send a message via Yahoo to Jennybug
Swing Keel

I just joined the site today and I have a burning question.

What are your thoughts regarding a swing keel? We are looking at a 1975 52' with a swing keel that goes from 5 1/2' - 11'

Comments, concerns, suggestions are welcome

Thanks!
Jennybug
Jennybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 08:06   #2

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
We have a swing keel on our Brewer 42 (5' - 9.5'). In moderate to heavy seas we love it. It allows us to keep more sails up and makes the boat feel like it's riding on rails, even in quartering seas. The swing keel also allows us to point higher. How your boat handles totally depends on the design.

On the down side: the attachment that secures the cable to the keel recently broke and I had to dive under to rig a second line to retract the keel. But the boat is 25 years old and it was the original attachment.

What boat are you considering?
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 08:24   #3

The boat

We are looking at a 1975 Morgan Out-island 51' cutter.
Old 15-05-2008, 12:48   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
There are some major pluses. Like as I understand it, 11' is not going to allow to sail much of the Carribean waters, so being able to lift it would be a major bonus.
But there are negatives. It adds a little more complexity to the boat, which equates to more maintenance and expense. So you have to weigh up what you want to do and where you want to go.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 13:01   #5

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
But there are negatives. It adds a little more complexity to the boat, which equates to more maintenance and expense. So you have to weigh up what you want to do and where you want to go.
I met a guy with a ... I think it was a Morgan last summer. He glassed in his keel so that it would always be up. He also said he didn't notice that much of a difference.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 13:01   #6

Keep 'em coming

Our major concern is leaking. We feel as though it would be a fragile part of the boat & Lord knows we don't want a leak.

The price has our full attention and if it were in Texas we would be on our way to inspect it now.

Thanks everyone!!
Jen
Old 15-05-2008, 13:12   #7

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennybug View Post
Our major concern is leaking. We feel as though it would be a fragile part of the boat & Lord knows we don't want a leak.
The only area that would be subject to leaking will be where the cable used to raise & lower penetrates the hull.

Alan mentioned maintenance. If you replace the cable and inspect the attachments (which I didn't) when you purchase it, you should have years of trouble free use.

The previous owner of our boat had the board secured so that it could not be lowered and I have heard of others who have done the same. IMHO, they are not utilizing a major feature of their boats. The sail performance is significantly better with the board down for us.

If everything else about the boat is what you are looking for, consider the swing keel as one more plus.
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 17:12   #8

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
This is my second swing keel vessel. The swing allows me to get into places that I couldn't reach with a deeper draft vessel. It lets me point higher to the wind and eases weather helm when it's down. I'd never seal it in. I've used it as an early warning system, in shoal waters..( if I feel the board bump I can hopefully stop the boat in time to prevent a grounding.)
I visually inspect the cable every year. It can be annoying in a seaway because it bumps around in its slot and can keep me awake on my offwatch....but I'm happy overall.
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 19:07   #9

Re: Swing Keel

I have a Hunter 26. The keel will come up when pulled on a trailer and will go down by itself when launched but I cannot get any response from the control line. I have just joined this group. Some people seem to have been able to lowere the keel but I cannot see how and would like more info before hoisting. Just cannot see how to get at the lines below the compression post. Do I have to demast and remove the compresion post?? Still cannot see how I would ever get to the swivel pin with all the plastic? casing around the base of the compression post. Can anybody direct me to a site of give a a step by step. Would much appreciate it?

Many thanks Richard Joint, Lake Yojoa, Honduras
richard joint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 19:21   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

This is quite an old thread.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 19:43   #11

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard joint View Post
I have a Hunter 26. The keel will come up when pulled on a trailer and will go down by itself when launched but I cannot get any response from the control line. I have just joined this group. Some people seem to have been able to lowere the keel but I cannot see how and would like more info before hoisting. Just cannot see how to get at the lines below the compression post. Do I have to demast and remove the compresion post?? Still cannot see how I would ever get to the swivel pin with all the plastic? casing around the base of the compression post. Can anybody direct me to a site of give a a step by step. Would much appreciate it?

Many thanks Richard Joint, Lake Yojoa, Honduras
Welcome Aboard Richard!

Many boats that have a swing keel also have a winch to pull it up and lower it down. Look around for a winch inside the boat with a cable going down into the keel trunk.

The swing keel pins are usually inside a seat or under round plast/rubber disks to hide them if in sight.

Hope that helps!
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 20:01   #12

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
Welcome Aboard Richard!

Many boats that have a swing keel also have a winch to pull it up and lower it down. Look around for a winch inside the boat with a cable going down into the keel trunk.

The swing keel pins are usually inside a seat or under round plast/rubber disks to hide them if in sight.

Hope that helps!
Ummm.. nevermind below is a link to what I think is your centerboard setup:

p051b.jpg

Note: There are more pages to this manual, you need to look at the top of the page for the controls.

Good Luck!
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel