Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2007, 05:46   #1

Swim Platforms

Has anyone tried mounting one of those teak swim platforms on the transom of a monohull? We dive and the tiny ladder we have is a no go. I platform just above the water line would with a removable ladder would seem to be perfect.

Comments?
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 05:58   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Friend of mine installed one on his Whitby 42. Works quite well. It should be higher than just above the waterline so that it's not in the water when motoring. Check how much your boat squats and make sure the platform is well above that.
Old 30-08-2007, 09:05   #3

swim platforms

I am in the process of designing one now. I am trying to design platform that will swing up when not in use. Also considering hatch boards in transom to make platform more accessible. My Border Collie loves to swim, he is too heavy to carry up a ladder, I also think it will be easier to unload water fuel, etc. I will wait until I have platform complete to decide on ladder or Hatchboards. This will also require split backstay.---one thing leads to another, to------. I think it will also make fishing easier.
Mr. Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 09:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fixit View Post
I am in the process of designing one now. I am trying to design platform that will swing up when not in use. Also considering hatch boards in transom to make platform more accessible. My Border Collie loves to swim, he is too heavy to carry up a ladder, I also think it will be easier to unload water fuel, etc. I will wait until I have platform complete to decide on ladder or Hatchboards. This will also require split backstay.---one thing leads to another, to------. I think it will also make fishing easier.
You're going down the exact path I'm planning. I already have a split backstay and the pushpit has a gate. I'd also like the platform the fold up against the platform for the following seas case.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with. Strong enough hinges would appear to be the hardest part...
Old 30-08-2007, 09:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Friend of mine installed one on his Whitby 42. Works quite well. It should be higher than just above the waterline so that it's not in the water when motoring. Check how much your boat squats and make sure the platform is well above that.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 30-08-2007, 16:40   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41
I have a Sceptre 41 and it ame with a swim platform and walk thru transom. do a google on Sceptre 41 and you might see some pictures. I don't have any of the swim platform.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 01:50   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Sceptre 41 Pics, Goto:
Sceptre 41 Pilothouse 1986 Boat For Sale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCEPTRE41.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1788  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:02   #8

swim platforms,hinge

I intend to "make a hinge" using a bracket made from flat stock welded to form an"L" (fastened to stern) and a 1/2' bolt thru bracket and 2x2 angle on platform.
Mr. Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote