Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2012, 03:37   #1

Boat: Just Sold and looking again
Send a message via Skype™ to Just Cruisin
Swim platform / Transom Irwin 44

Hello happy sailing types and fair winds to you all (and the not so happy ones of course !!), does anyone have interesting things to say about the lowering transom / swim platform on the Irwin 44 (43.4ft), I wonder why something that appears to be a great idea for loading supplies and people onto your yacht has not been taken up by other yacht companies with high free board (well ones that I know anyway).
We are in the market for a new floating home and have seen one of these yachts and being a little older with some aches and pains the thought of easy access to the yacht certainly appeals to us. Any thoughts from you knowledgeable saltly sea dogs on the pros and cons would help us decide to go for a yacht with this unusual bit of kit or not ?.
Also any comments on the suitability of the Irwin 44 centre cockpit (mid 80's build) as a live aboard for Caribbean waters cruising would also be gratefully received
Just Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 14:52   #2

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II
Re: Swim platform / Transom Irwin 44

Folding platforms like this are, IMHO, a clever idea for some applications, rather troublesome for others.

They're more complex (ie. expensive) to build, which I think is one reason why they're rare. They also make it hard to install a wind vane, davits get complicated, etc. and such a gate would be a real liability if it came loose in a big sea.

But they do look awfully convenient for when you're at anchor, particularly if you have a lot of guests aboard or like to bring a lot of water toys.
Old 15-11-2012, 00:14   #3

Boat: Just Sold and looking again
Send a message via Skype™ to Just Cruisin
Re: Swim platform / Transom Irwin 44

Hi Matt, thank you for your post, I was beginning to think it was only me who had seen this lowering transom on the Irwin 44. Yes, I believe you are correct about the expense side of things when it comes to moulding the hull and the additional equipment, hinges, electric's and fittings to make it work against having a boarding ladder. A good call on your part. On much larger yachts (motor & sailing) they use the opening transom for the toys to be loaded into and out of the yacht, this is just a smaller version of that idea.
Just Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Irwin