Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2009, 05:08   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Nah, buxom mermaid slapping their tails on the hull, that kinda puts me to sleep with sweet dreams.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 07:28   #17

Boat: Just sold my Cal 2-46 looking for a 47 Vagabond
Roofing Nails vs Lions

This will catch me a world of cr-p, but Sea Lions will sink your boat...

I've got a friend, who puts short roofing nails on his swim platform.
It keeps bare foot thieves and Sea Lions off his platform.

He woke up one morning to find the stern of his boat almost underwater from the weight of the beasts on his platform!!!!

Folding aft decks are the way to go....

fred
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Teak Swim Platform.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	9538   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR54.jpg
Views:	1320
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	9539  

Old 23-08-2009, 10:49   #18

Boat: Passport 615. Renovatio.
Here is my stern swim platform/ladder (up position) and I will also have a side ladder. Best of both?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Renovatio.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	448.0 KB
ID:	9545  
michael201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 11:13   #19

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael201 View Post
Here is my stern swim platform/ladder (up position) and I will also have a side ladder. Best of both?
Agree

My earlier concern was specifically for those swim platforms bolted on the back of some boats as an afterthought.
Old 23-08-2009, 17:05   #20

Boat: Catalina 470
Sugar-scoop stern / Reverse-Transom / Integral Swim Platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by vldevin View Post
What we like to know is the pro and con of a integrated swim platform (ie: island packet type) on a boat for a long cruise.
vldevin,
I'm assuming you're referring to the "sugar scoop" stern / reverse-transom / integral swim platform (as my boat has), and not some "after thought" added by the factory to an already-designed hull / deck......

In this case, in my opinion, there are few (if any) "cons".....and all "pros"....
But, there are times when boarding / loading from the side and sidedeck is preferable.....

I've cruised / voyaged (including Altlantic crossings, gales, storms, and Caribbean island hoping) on both "traditional" transom designs and reverse-transom designs with integral swim platforms....
And, I can say without hesitation, I prefer the latter.....(especially the ease of solo scuba diving right from the boat, etc.....)

Although they're too large to post directly on this board, please have a look at photos of my current boat's transom / swim platform.....
Annie Laurie Translant
Scuba Tank Mounting

Quote:
In our eye
Pro
- easier access loading of jerrycan ect...
- MOB rescue
Con
- Wave taking over
-Easier access but to people you don't want in the first place.

So for the people who have been around let us know what you think.

You asked for the thoughts of those "who have been around"......and here are mine....

To be blunt.......
1) Anyone that's done MOB drills with some sea running, as I have, will easily agree here....
MOB rescue is almost always going to be done from the sidedeck, near the center of motion of the vessel.....
Unless it is calm, and the MOB is uninjured, trying a recovery from the stern is most likely to seroiusly injury (or kill) the MOB, and I'd not recommend it......

2) While some might assume that jerry cans are a necessity, and while I do own a few myself....they are not necessary, and if I were you I'd not base my boat choice on "which one allows me to load jerry cans easier", not the least of which is the fact that most find loading them to/from the sidedeck much easier.....as well as the fact that they're just not that big of a deal.....

3) "Wave over-taking"
NOT a problem....not at all.....

4) "Easier boarding for those who you don't wish on board"
Maybe, but if someone is motivated / eager to commit a crime, and are agile enough to swim / row to your boat, whether you have a swim-platform transom, or not, isn't going to make much of a difference.....

Secure your ladder, pushpit, cockpit access, etc....(and cabin access as well) if you're anchored in a high crime area, and feel the need.....

5) Some of the other comments about too much weight in the stern, loss of reserve bouyancy, etc. seem way off-base.....and are possibly opinions from those assuming that this would be some sort of "after-thought" on part of the factory.......but, that's not what you discussing....

I can't speak for everyone, just my opinions here, but a reverse-transom / swim-platform transom is a great thing.....

Fair winds.

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 16:10   #21

Boat: Endeavour37A & Hunter23
Re: Swim Platform - Pro & Con

I love this banter. Who here leaves the boarding ladder deployed while sailing? on purpose?

My 37 endeavour was designed traditionally before the swim platform became a "thing". So my primary concern is going overboard without a single chance in Davy's locker to climb back onboard. Even clipped in, there's a chance of hanging over the side to die at the bitter end of a lifeline. The swim platform and 100' of trailing line offer a good chance of redemption. I calculate a 6kt sailboat travels about 60' in 6 seconds. The trailing line gives about 10 seconds to collect your wits and grab ahold. On my boat there is no chance of scaling the hull unless you are a SAG certified stunt pirate. A swim platform and attached fold-down ladder make the difference between life and shark bait.
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:48   #22

Boat: Jeanneau Attalia
Re: Swim Platform - Pro & Con

I designed and installed a swim/boarding platform for my Attalia. Very happy with it - toe dipping, big enough, not ugly, folds, unbolts with two bolts and weighs about 25 pounds - aluminum and UV plastic.
Attalia Boarding Platform - Jeanneau Owners Network
Phonse is offline   Reply With Quote