Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 13:19   #1

Swedish Monohull Sailboats

Hello everybody !

I would like to focous this forum only on swedish monohulls sailing boats.

I have been searching for a wille NAJAD, Hallberg-Rassy, Mallo, Regina and more, on new and used markets.

On used markets i can see more second handed HR's than NAJAD's, but i have the impression that maybe NAJAD's are for those costumers that want to have their own boat for a long period, and HR's are also very good built quality, but seems that they are cheaper. Mallo look more classical boat.

I would like to have impression from swedish boats owners, around the world, I say again only swedish, that's my first target, about experiences and quality. Or even those that changed their minds , choosing another boats, after having one or vice-versa.

Looking foward to hear from you!

Boggie
boggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:16   #2

Boat: gozzard 44
The small Swedish boatbuilder Fantasi made an appearance at the Annapolis Boat Show a few years back. It was an impressive boat both in design and construction but as the dollar dropped it became expensive for the US market.
I haven't seen their presence here since that show.
Have you checked them out?

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 13:17   #3

Hi Ronbo,
Thanks for your help !
I will see their webpage: Fantasi Yachts - Nära havet men ändå skyddat

Boggie
Old 12-05-2010, 17:10   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
Swedish boats are amongst the best in the world. I would put them second only to Dutch, but some are a match. Talking cruising designs, not racers.

I have a Swedish boat and I have sailed various other Swedish boats. I found the older ones better built than the newer ones, and slower too.

I cannot see any quality difference between Najad and HR. Earlier Najads were slightly more racy than earlier HRs. Mallo is a great name too. New Mallos seem slightly better built than HRs an Najads.

HR, Najad and Mallo (i.a.) have a different pedigree than e.g. Bavaria (or Hanse, etc.) so their designs were and still, to some extent, are aimed at a different segment of the market. Built quality easily exceeds that of less expensive builders. Not to say they do not make silly mistakes at times, but they do tend to follow up and correct. After warranty service and support can be excellent. I have seen new dodgers (hard ones) given to HR owners of 12 y.o. boats by the boatyard on the basis of the fact that these dodgers were not properly designed in the original boat. bad to have a bad dodger, but nice to find a builder admitting the mistake and giving you a new, fault-free dodger 12 years down the road.

If you have more specific questions I will be happy to share my experience. You can post me a private msg or ask here on the forum. I will definitely try to follow this thread.

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 09:57   #5

I have been on board of a NAJAD 332 and 355 and i apreciated their furnishings and some interestings tips in the cockpit, that creates a nice confort impression that you don't find on other boats.
I only have the catalogs of some HR's.
Boggie
Old 15-05-2010, 15:25   #6

I believe the 332 and 355 will be the newer stuff. They do differ from the older stuff. I sailed the 332 (so I believe - it was a 2003-5 model) and found it (faster and) inferior build to the earlier models. But sure inside the impression from the woodwork and the finish was great. Still, a boat is far more than the interior. Should be. I mean to say the interior wood and cockpit details are all nice (they have always been in Swedish boats anyway) but there are more important things in a boat to look for.

b.
Old 16-05-2010, 01:15   #7

Living next to all theese builders my preference would be: 1.Fantasi, 2. Malö, 3. HR and 4. Najad. I belive the fantasi is in its own class with less diference between the other three. I have no experience of Regina.
Especially Najad and HR has changed their models towards more mainstreem designs.
Joshua1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 05:34   #8

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
we enjoyed a HR53 for two years, sailing in the Caribbean. IMHO they are high quality boats, sort of like sailing around in a Lexus or Mercedes. great systems and woodwork. on the minus side there is a lot of wood on deck to maintain and the hard dodger we had, while great at sea, can make the cockpit a bit warm at anchor. good luck boat shopping.
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 12:40   #9

hello everybody,

Thanks very much for all your coments.

At this moment it is important have opinions about quality.

My next stage is to consider the leasing costs and the valueble that i can have in return if I decide to sale it for the second hand market. For me it is important to know what is the best choice.

I will appreciate any comments from your own experiences !

Best Regards

Boggie
Old 16-05-2010, 15:02   #10

"Sweden Yachts" sound like to they are pretty good, well made and a bit more sporty than the others whist staying comfortable.

I see the Sweden Yachts just went bankrupt, so 2nd hand is the only option.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 16:44   #11

Quality - very high quality of workmanship in most Swedish boats. Definitely so in HR, Najad, Malo, Regina, Fantasi, SY. Components / systems - well as good as they get today, which means not always as good as in the good old times.

Resale - value high, be guided by marketing / salesmanship general rules and market trends. HR ranks very high as does Najad, other makes have also great re-sale value only that the demand may be limited by how well known the makes are outside Sweden. But they will still hold very good re-sale value in Sweden / Scandinavia.

As the discussion goes from boats to money issues I am signing off unless called by my name ;-)

Cheers,
barnie
Old 28-06-2011, 11:27   #12

Re: Swedish Monohull Sailboats

Sweden Yachts made excellent boats until they went bankrupt in 2009. Some of their unfinished hulls just went on sale on <yachtworld.com> so if you are a do-it-yourselfer, these would be real bargains.
davidwwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 12:14   #13

Latest news , seems that NAJAD is going on the same way that happen with SWEDEN Yachts yards years ago...
Old 24-08-2011, 12:34   #14

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Najad will come back in a new form,
Comfortina is also a good name.
Arcona same
These boats have more speed.
---
The hole boat industi will be in for a bad time, so we will se how is back, this winther will be hard.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 09:52   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by careka View Post
Najad will come back in a new form,
Comfortina is also a good name.
Arcona same
These boats have more speed.
---
The hole boat industi will be in for a bad time, so we will se how is back, this winther will be hard.
New form? Do you mean new investors?
I had an experience last mounth in Norwegian fiords, 1 week sailing and we crossed with a beatifull N355. Our boat had to tak several times to make closed haull, this N355 did beautifully, mantained it's course sailed faster than us even with one reef.

I allways be very confident on this brand, i wish they close their doors !

Good Luck for NAJAD !