Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2016, 21:41   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Swarbrick S111

Hi Cruisers,

A friend just dropped a note in my letterbox with the printout of a Swarbrick S111 for sale, I assume he is interested in it. Either that or he just likes putting things in my letterbox. (Weird!)

Nice enough looking boat, and I respect the Swarbrick brand, but I don't really know what this boat is trying to be.

I was pretty sure my friend was in the market for a small cruising boat, and there's a bit of overheated puffery on the web suggesting that this was the intention of the S111 design.

But looking through the pictures I am thinking day racer, not cruiser. Hard to put my finger on it, but the wheel right at the stern there is not exactly where I'd want to stand watch, stupid big thing, getting around it to get to the front of the boat would be taking your life in your hands. The layout inside is very open, no handholds, open galley, nothing to hold on to while cooking. Quarter berths are kinda practical for a long passage I suppose. Cockpit appears huge, and open, and low sided, no back support (not even against the cabin trunk) and a rotten cross cockpit traveller to stop you stretching out.

A bit of googling revealed not much at all, and the only owner comments I could find were pretty neutral, if not a little unflattering about the boat. One photo of them in action had them on their ear with people hanging their feet over the rail.

So before I tell him I don't get it, can anyone point out what I am missing? It seems a nice enough boat, but it does not feel like any kind of a cruiser to me.

Matt
Old 14-12-2016, 22:09   #2

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.
Re: Swarbrick S111

Got heaps NOT going for it even as only a serious weekender.
Like having to convert the dinette to make a couples bed.
2 metre draught a bit restricting for some.
Terrible cockpit would hold about 3 tons of water.
Its a racer.
Thats why the cockpit has a booze locker in the floor.
All depends on intended use. And how many gorillas you can find to sit on the rail.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 22:27   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I had never heard of it, but looking it up I see it is clearly more racer than cruiser. But maybe that is what the wants? If he doesn't plan on racing, I don't see it either, unless he's doing short coastal cruises I guess.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 22:30   #4

Swarbrick S111

I'll catch up with him soon and find out more I suppose.

I am glad you guys get the same sort of reaction, I really thought I was missing something. Of course I do accept that practically any boat can be a cruising boat, it is, after all, a matter of perspective, but it does seem this has nothing obvious going for it as a cruiser aside from the brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-12-2016, 00:48   #5

Not so hasty.

Whitsunday rent-a-yacht used to have a few when I worked there, so got to sail them a bit. I like em.

If your "friend" wants a boat that is more responsive and rewarding to sail with a nice turn of speed than the typical "sedate", double ended, heavy style cruiser, then its a good choice. Just because your "friend" wants a cruising boat it doesn't mean your "friend" is off around the "Horn ".

Reminds me a little of the slightly bigger Northshore 38. Theres one of those in the marina here with a chappy that is off around the Horn or has been ( I'm not sure of the full story). I'm sure that will raise a few CF eyebrows.

S111's have been around for what seem like donkeys years, the navy had a fleet of them for training.

From memory all the rent-a-wreck S111's names ended in "time"
ie Idle Time, Play Time etc.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 02:55   #6

Err... right. So what does all that actually mean?

It is a good racing boat? Would it make an ok cruiser? Regardless of speed does it work as a cruising boat?

And why all the little emoticons next to friend? What have I missed?

Old 15-12-2016, 07:53   #7

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Unhappy Re: Swarbrick S111

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Err... right. So what does all that actually mean?

It is a good racing boat? Would it make an ok cruiser? Regardless of speed does it work as a cruising boat?

And why all the little emoticons next to friend? What have I missed?

I also am curious about the blue faces.
Wish to God I weren't so slow.
Old 15-12-2016, 11:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
I also am curious about the blue faces.
Wish to God I weren't so slow.
It used to mean the friend was more than just a friend. If that is the case someone is going to have to tell his wife about us.

Not a very helpful post really.
Old 15-12-2016, 12:08   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Matt,

I don't know this, but I would think that if the navy were using them for sail training that they would be decent boats. Yes, on the racing side (what pleases young men), but for local cruising, as opposed to crossing oceans, why not? Our first Insatiable had the wheel aft -- some people prefer that-- and she had the traveler running through the cockpit, as well. End of boom sheeting has some advantages. We made cockpit cushions thick enough to keep us off the traveler, and it was adequate for sleeping in the cockpit when it was too hot for below. You can buy cushions for more back support. It seems to me, that whether it would be a suitable boat for him would depend on his intended use. I do know someone who has sailed on one, so if you like, I'll ask, but I'd want to know what your friend wants to do with the boat, maybe he plans to use the family as rail meat?

The comment about the Northshore 38 above is interesting; it shows that people will take lightly built boats to some pretty exotic places, boats that I would not consider, personally (like the Hunter in Chile). Taking lightly built boats to far off exotic locations is about what kinds of risk one will accept -- or not. Not something to be decided by internet consensus, which is pretty conservative, but by individuals.

Ann
Old 15-12-2016, 12:26   #10

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
It used to mean the friend was more than just a friend. If that is the case someone is going to have to tell his wife about us.

Not a very helpful post really.
I think it was suggesting that the 'friend' was actually yourself.... as in 'Hello Doctor, a friend of mine has this rather nasty rash....' or 'Hello peoples, a friend of mine is thinking of buying this really dumb boat'

Back on topic .. They look like a handy little dayboat.... but not for me.

I have a Swarbrick anchor.......
Old 15-12-2016, 13:29   #11

Thank you for the translation EP. Clearly I have not picked that connotation, though why on earth a Swanson 42 sailor would consider a boat like this has me beat. If I want to go fast I pull out the windsurfer. (There, now I really am showing my age)

Ann, I do not actually know much about his intended use. I did not even know he was considering a boat until very recently. I am assuming, based on his age (late 40s early 50 s) and life interests (camper trailer and real 4WD) that he is planning on cruising. He and his wife are empty nesters so no kids to hang on the rail. Complicating things are bit is that his wife has knee problems. That rules out a few boats, including ours with the 7 foot descent to the cabin sole.

Regarding the wheel at the stern, I am not against them on principle or anything, but in this particular boat the wheel is very large and cumbersome in relation to the cockpit and the only way forward seems fraught with difficulty and danger.

I am hoping we will catch up on the weekend and I will find out more.

Thanks for the replies and the translation.

Matt

Old 15-12-2016, 13:33   #12

Ann, something you just wrote might be a clue. My friend was a lieutenant colonel in the army, so maybe he ran into the boats as part of his job. That would mean he has some kind of history with them.

Really curious now, he must be pretty serious to have printed out the brochure.

I will report back when I find out.

Matt

Old 15-12-2016, 13:47   #13

These boats use the front of the boat as storage. If you want to sleep with your partner then the dinette has to be made up.
Good boat for cockpit parties.
Old 15-12-2016, 14:08   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
These boats use the front of the boat as storage. If you want to sleep with your partner then the dinette has to be made up.
Good boat for cockpit parties.
Yes, the photos in the brochure show a very full bow. My wife was most unimpressed with the way this intruded into bathroom facilities.

Mind you, our setup is only a bit better really.
Old 15-12-2016, 14:48   #15

Quote:
Yes, the photos in the brochure show a very full bow. My wife was most unimpressed with the way this intruded into bathroom facilities.

Mind you, our setup is only a bit better really.
Yes, even if there was length for a mattress......no privacy. A racing oriented boat.