Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2014, 14:39   #31

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Swanson 28 Double ender

Our previous Insatiable with fine ends for and aft, did hobbyhorse. A PITA. The present Insatiable II carries a lot of beam all the way aft, and doesn't. I believe hull shape and also boat length contribute to stability against hobbyhorsing. I bet the little Swanson would hobbyhorse worse than the 42. Just my 2 cents.

Ann
Old 05-05-2014, 01:29   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph1966 View Post
Good Morning
I am new to this forum and this this my first post. Hopefully I am able to receive a few helpful replies.
I am currently considering buying a Swanson 28 double ender (mid 80's). I do not know a great deal about these yachts, apart from the fact they seem to be a large volume and fairly popular boat. My main interest is knowing if these vessels are suitable for most sailing conditions, in shore, off shore, extended sailing, or are they primarily a coastal cruiser.
My initial plan was a steel Boden 36, for the obvious reasons it was a well fitted out live aboard with extensive long distance sailing Hx.
I have become interested in the Swanson because of its very up to date interior and large volume (and reasonable price), for extended sailing it would require a few updates in electronics etc: hence the boat as she lies is a basic but very nice layout and condition.
Any comments on this particular type of vessel would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Hi,
This post is a bit late and you may have already committed, but anyway, a few thoughts follow.

I have a S42. Have never sailed on a S28, and cannot provide first hand comments on the boat. However, as another poster has said, the Swanson family of canoe stern cruising boats have very similar hull design, and are all of the same ilk, all with a very positive reputation.

There is a Swanson Yahoo Group, but it is dead as the moderators have disappeared. So you cannot join and access the archives. For your info, I have done a quick search of the archives, and the following emerges. One member's S28 has definitely circumnavigated, there are stories of others circumnavigating. Members have done long trips in their S28's...South Pacific, PNG , SE Asia and many trips on east coast of aus. A couple of members have done repeated trips across Bass Strait.

Members have commented on the sea kindliness and comfort of the S28. Weather helm can be an issue with new owners, but consensus is that it can be addressed by experience with sail trim. Otherwise, most praise the comfort and load carrying capacity.

For possible further info, there is a fledgling new Swanson group at Swanson Sailor • Index page

There are a couple of S28 owners there, so come along and ask questions.

Lee
Banjo
S42
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:48   #33

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 39

Thank you for your response.
I had the Swanson double ender 28 high on my list. Tho one and only negative for me personally is, as a live aboard I would like something slightly bigger. Although I do feel for one person it is adequate.
I have resisted posting further updates as I don't wish to be belittled lmao :P
I am shortly viewing and most likely going to purchase a "Choe Lee Offshore 39" I fully expect to spend a further 10-15k on getting her to an acceptable standard for extended sailing, however these yachts seem purpose built for live aboard and all condition sailing. My personal opinion is these are a beautiful yacht. So hopefully in the next 48 hours I shall own one.
CheoyLee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:36   #34

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Quote:
I have resisted posting further updates as I don't wish to be belittled lmao :P
I am shortly viewing and most likely going to purchase a "Choe Lee Offshore 39" I fully expect to spend a further 10-15k on getting her to an acceptable standard for extended sailing, however these yachts seem purpose built for live aboard and all condition sailing. My personal opinion is these are a beautiful yacht. So hopefully in the next 48 hours I shall own one.
Well, that is a fair size upgrade

I guess the the boat you are talking about and it sounds worth a look. Keep us posted with updates please, all experiences are valuable IMO
Old 05-05-2014, 07:53   #35

Yes, LOL, It is

I actually was also very interested in a steel Boden Germaine 36 that was very well priced and did look to be in very good condition indeed. But it sold several weeks ago, yet the advertiser failed to remove it for at least 4 weeks.

I the only recently found the Choe Lee Offshore 39, I understand few and far between here in Australia, I absolutely love the duel cockpits, the massive internal layout, and inventory of upgrades etc: I will be the first to admit that this particular Choe Lee needs a little further work, however this is not an issue, as I am not in a rush to sail around the globe.

Similar completely refurbished Choe Lee's are selling at twice the price, admitedly they are in top notch condition. But at the flexible asking price, I have no hesitation in accepting that it may be another 10-15k over the next 12 months to get her up to scratch.

But as mentioned already, these look to be beautiful purpose built yachts.

End result, hopefully one happy yacht owner, very much poorer, but happy lol

Will let you know
Old 06-05-2014, 00:08   #36

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Something to check is whether the cockpit lockers can drain into the interior, also check the ability to remove & replace iron fuel tanks, and enquire about the water tanks. Accessibility to tanks is one problem with Taiwan built boats. These are bargaining points, if nothing else.

Ann
Old 08-05-2014, 18:29   #37

Thank you for that advice, I have pretty much used all the bargaining points I knew of, those were not two of them LOL

But after much deliberation, a seller who was motivated, who suggested I should sell cars for a living instead of working in the medical field, told me I was killing him, LOL etc, etc.

I purchased a Choe Lee Offshore for $20,000,00, $15.000.00 below asking price.

I have seen several yachts that have a single male live aboard, I am not sure what it is about these chaps LOL But many seem to live on lovely boats that have just ended up being neglected, the interiors look like a bomb has gone off, the deck's are strewn with ("Stuff"). Maintenance seems to have gone to the dogs.

Having lived on a yacht in North QLD, I am fully aware of how important it is to keep a hull maintained (Growth) A forest will grow on the hull in no time. If you don't maintain the interior (basically) then very soon you have timber paneling that looks worse than second hand.

All of this is essentially elbow grease work. The Choe Lee has a lovely interior, and deserves to look and be at it's best. Thankfully I am fairly handy, so basic carpentry and yacht maintenance are not out of my capabilities.

But essentially, even with my limited knowledge, I very strongly pointed out that that this yacht is a nice yacht, 'But', it is at least a $20-$25k medium term investment into getting this yacht up to a reasonable standard (for insurance purposes). I can accept this, but not at 35k.
This 39ft potentiality beautiful yacht is worth no more than 20k as she sits, this I felt a fair price, and in the end I feel the owner regretfully conceded I was possibly correct. Had this yacht been in better condition, I would have happily parted with 30k, but sadly it isn't.

So for 20k I now own a 39ft Choe Lee Offshore, that requires some immediate and long term commitment and investment.

Hopefully there are a few yatchies on this forum who are up in Cairns, who have knowledge of wiring electronics, fitting auto pilots, and a few other technical aspects that I have no idea about.

Cheers
Old 08-05-2014, 18:43   #38

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:

So for 20k I now own a 39ft Choe Lee Offshore, that requires some immediate and long term commitment and investment.
Ralph1966, congratulations on your purchase, may she give you many years of happiness and safe cruising.

But now that you own one, you probably should start spelling it right... I think that is is spelled Cheoy Lee, unless there is a similarly named brand I am not aware of.

Matt
Old 08-05-2014, 19:07   #39

Ha LOL

You are correct 'GILow'

I am sure there will be plenty of fun ahead, and also an empty wallet

Cheers
Old 09-05-2014, 03:16   #40

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Ha LOL

... and also an empty wallet

Cheers
I wouldn't know, I own a Swanson!

Everything I read about the Cheoy Lee makes me think it should suit your purpose nicely. I love that circular dining area too.

Matt
Old 09-05-2014, 04:11   #41

Cheers 'GILow'

LOL on the Swanson, they are a good yacht, the Swanson 28ft double ender ended up selling, I'm not surprised, that was a nice little yacht, with an absolutely beautiful interior. At 19k it was a bargain, and the guy was keen because I spoke to him, he would have accepted less.

But yes, you are right, the 'Cheoy Lee' is absolutely what I was after in a live aboard, and those circular dining areas in the saloon are a great selling point, they really are very spacious an appealing. A slight loss of space due to the twin cockpits, but the available area is utilized very well.

I am a little disappointed that the current owner slightly neglected the yacht, I was not bargaining on having to haul her straight out for a scrub and anti foul. Also, internally it requires some TLC, headlining, paneling etc, ect. Also electronics have not been wired up IE: Solar panels, GPS etc. But ultimately, an ideal live aboard and ongoing medium term project.

Considering its a lot of boat for 20k, bargained down from 35k, I feel fairly comfortable with that price. Knowing I do need to spend a bit of $, and put in plenty of elbow grease. It will keep me out of trouble and occupied.

Cheers
Old 10-05-2014, 03:35   #42

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Nice mate

It sounded like it had $20k worth of new bits with it, some installed. Thx for the update and good luck with the refurb, hopefully there aren't too many surprises under the water line.

You need a new thread now on how you deal with your giant refit puzzle

Cheers
Shane
Old 10-05-2014, 03:52   #43

Thanks 'sparau'

Yes, it has several new bits, some installed, and some IE; auto- helm (to be installed), Solar panels and gps etc that need wiring. Self furler is new, new teak hatches. lots of bit's and pieces.

Ummmm...yes, the underside, I am expecting a little work in that area But praying for nothing nasty. Unfortunately the yacht wasn't given routine maintenance and upkeep, it just looks a bit sad to be honest. Hence why I would not pay any more than 20k, hopefully offset some of the surprises instal

I will be adding a few new threads in the coming weeks once I get back up to Cairns. Am hoping one ore two knowledgeable boaties are located up that way, and possibly like to play around with yachts.

Cheers
Old 15-12-2021, 14:58   #44

Boat: Swanson 28

Hi all,

I’ve started a Swanson owners forum on FB.
Any Swanny owners, come check it out. There’s 7 of us on there now. 38’s, 32’s and 28’s.

I’m a Swanny 28 owner, (Anka, the plug for all the subsequent 28’s).

Couldn’t be happier with her. Not fast, but rock solid. ����
JarvW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 00:04   #45

Boat: no boat any more

A Swanson 28 with a young Aussie couple circumnavigated in the 80s, lived in Cairns afterwards, have sadly forgotten the name of them. Had a good time with them in 86 in Cococs Keeling. They certainly made it all the way around as we met them in Cairns on our next trip. The guy used to be a tugboat/harbourlaunch-drive, IIRK