Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 17:57   #16
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Cool. I don't know why the 14th hull is number 114, but there you have it.

It was a very productive day. I'm pretty sure I got the overheating issues squared away. I did find a new low with WM employees. The bigger store I visit has two guys who are absolutely top notch, and I've never been there when at least one of them wasn't there. They were both gone today, and the three guys there had no idea what Westerbeke was. Like I was speaking Mandarin or something. Ended up using my phone to google the part number I wanted...

I snagged a new impeller and a spare. What a PITA it was to replace. Found out I have a "speed seal" cover, which is good. Found out that six years of no impeller change froze the thing on to the shaft, which was bad.

I thought I must be doing something wrong, so I got out the spare water pump">raw water pump and worked on my impeller extraction technique before trying again in the engine room. Turns out I just needed to sacrifice two knuckles and the side of my face to the "sharp things on the aft bulkhead" gods. After sufficient bloodletting I was able to get the old impeller out. Only took the skin off one additional knuckle to get the new one in.

A quick flush of the heat exchanger and a ream of the hose and we were good to go. Ran the engine pretty hard and it stayed at 185F.

Now just the batteries, head, and windlass brake and I think I'll be set to head out for a few days at the islands. Can't wait!

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 22:56   #17

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail
Re: Survey Complete

I have one of those speed seals and they are great. Saves me a lot of aggrevation in replacing the impeller. I make replacing the impeller an every year maintainence replace every spring when i unwinterize the boat. It may be overkill, but it beats trying to fish out parts from the engine/ heat exchanger. Dont buy to many in advance as the rubber tends to harden/ brittle.

Dave
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey