Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 00:51   #1

Boat: Alan Pape. Ebbtide 33'
Suggestions Wanted: Fly There, then Buy a Boat

My wife and I live in NZ
We would like to have a holiday; sailing the Great Barrier Reef along Queenslands' Coral Coast.

Problem is, the Tasman Sea is between us.
We thought, "Why not fly the Tasman: then buy a boat". That way the vessel would only need to be capable of cruising the more shelter waters of the Coral Coast.
We have 3 X months off work from July this year & We would sell the vessel at the end.

Our question? "How to best go about finding such a yacht?"

The experience of fellow forum users is welcomed.

Multi-hulls appeal, but there are so many more mono's available 2nd hand on such sites as Yachts & Boats for Sale - Boat Sales - New & Used Boats Online | Yacht & Boat and Boats for Sale - Yachts for Sale - Used & New Boats @ Yacht Hub Australia & New Zealand

our budget would be up to $30,000 Australian
From reading this forum I understand that 'cost' would be:

initial cost.....
plus $$$ spent
less selling cost

(Thus, a higher intial cost, with lower $$$ spent is potentially less expensive)

My experience?
One winter I sailed a trimaran alone the 600nm between Hobart and Sydney
Scare_Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 17:42   #2

Boat: 26 Caribbean
You Could try searching boats on Used Boats - New Boats - Search New & Used Boats For Sale - BoatPoint Australia and Boats for Sale Australia | Boat Ads & Boat Buying – Boats Online or try local sites like Sydney Boating | Marine Directory & Boat Classifieds - Boat Sales These sites have a huge following.

I'm a qualified master skipper/owner and I know you have to search every site to find your bargin. i Know of this 31ft sea ray, mint condition that was found on the sydneyboating website for about 70k. It was an absolute bargin.

So it pays to research, also when it comes down to securing that boat, make sure you have the proper checks done on the vessel.

Ie... out of water survey, revs check, test drive and make a checklist yourself or all the parts on the boat for sale for example...

1) Boat Engine
2) Bilge Area
3) Engine Steering / Controls
4) Electrics
5) Propellers
6) Floors and Decking
7) Fuel tank setup
8) Batteries
9) Rigging and Sails (If you have a sailboat)
10) Hull condition, including shaft or sterndrive assembly
11) General interior cleanliness

Hope this helps.
Waterman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 19:34   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
From reading this forum I understand that 'cost' would be:

initial cost.....
plus $$$ spent
less selling cost

(Thus, a higher intial cost, with lower $$$ spent is potentially less expensive)
From a very high level you are correct but only because you ignore details that cost a lot of money. The problems are that initial costs inclcude all the money to just find the boat and then the survey and time and effort to reach a contract price then the taking posession and figuring out all the things reqjuired to m ake theboat work for your use then cost more money. You then need to arrange berthing and other on going expences. Then there is the long distance cost of you are not at the boat all the time yet the boat still requires care and feeding. There is the cost of berthing the boat and insurance and other costs of it just sitting in the water. Bottom paint wears while you sleep.

The having a boat far from your primary residence is difficult to pin down because little things become big things that don't get tended to when you are not there to see problems and hire work done or take care of it.

Next you use the boat and in the process find things you didn't know when you first bought it. Things break because you couldn't know, You make repairs becasue it is the nature of boats that use requires repairs even if well tended. Lastly, you decide to sell the boat when use vs. expences reach a pain threshold. You need to do all the things a buyer would want and it takes time to find the buyer and ultimately pay the brokerage fees and the cost of keeping a boat going no place still lives on. A cheaper boat in OK condition is probably the cheaper overall deal. If you buy one you will get a good deal and a cheap boat will still be a cheap boat pretty much no matter the in between.

Making the money work is still the number one goal. Figuring in all the costs is very hard. I can tell you that you can't be told the cost of a boat sight unseen in a place not been to.

In the end the total purchase price is not the hard problem. It is all the costs in between where the surprises and serious money jumps into the game. Long distance risks can be quite costly. It can also mean that should your use of the boat fail to live up to current expectations then the costs still go up and you use the boat far less. It's not hard to make the balance sheet on such an arrangment a poor deal for you .So long as you always maximize your use on the water you can best judge the costs.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 20:27   #4

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
We did something like that, flew from NZ to LA, bought a boat, sailed to Baja, stayed a year, sold the boat for $3k less than we paid for it. Did zero maintenance, if something broke I threw it overboard, in fact I even sold off some surplus equipment that was on the boat when in La Paz.
Cheapest years sailing I've ever had.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote