Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 15:55   #1

Boat: 1987 Hinterhoeller Niagara 35 Encore
Suggestions on a comfortable Bluewater boat

Any suggestions on a Bluewater/liveaboard boat in the 40' range for at or under 100K?

I am considering selling my current sailboat and buying a boat that would be comfortable to liveaboard and a good safe bluewater cruiser.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 19:07   #2

Thumbs up Boat Search

Iain,

What I've been doing is using the advanced search feature on Yachtworld.com. I've sliced and diced their database many different ways as to size/price ranges and age of boat. My latest search criteria was:

- Fiberglass
- Diesel
- Centercockpit
- Monohull
- 37 - 47 feet
- 60k - 130k
- USA

The search came back with many pages of what appear to be fine boats and some stinkers. I would look to the CF archive for past threads and suggestions about the right offshore cruiser. I found though, that the eye of the beholder seems to be the rule, when comes to cruiser types. There are some good questions in the CF archives, however that you'll find helpful in fleshing out the type of use/boat you want.

Anyway, play around using different searches on the Yachtworld.com site. When you find something in particular you might like to own, look here in the archives about the boat and Google the boat builder and search for reviews. If no joy, start a thread here about the boat. Chances are pretty good one of the CF users know something about it or about how to find out more.

Currently, I don't have the assets for a cruiser, so I sail a dingy. I'm using the time to find out about what is out there and about what would best suit me offshore. I used to own a Pacific Seacraft 27' Orion cutter rig. As it stands now, I'm looking for a center cockpit, staysaill ketch and a turnaround in real-estate. The boat requirement may change a few times before the market does
porttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 19:29   #3

Boat: Columbia 41
You can get a lot of boat for $100k if you don't mind one that is 15 to 20 years old. Especially in this economy. A Morgan 41 in good condition should cost you less than $50k. Those are cumfy roomy boats with a long cruising range. I own a Columbia 41 (1974) and paid $25k for it. It had a lengthly survey list but nothing that was a deal breaker and nothing that could not be done by me alone. If you have ready cash, cruise the boat yards in your area and see what is on the hardstand. Look for something over 40 feet. Get a good survey. Do the deal.

Older boats are less expensive generally because it is very hard to get financing to buy them. People have to pay cash. Sometimes the boat will have been on the hardstand for many years because the owner lives far away and has other family obligations. Sometimes there is a new wife applying pressure. You never know. But the one thing with GRP, it can hadle differred maintenance and come back with a little soap and water and buffing compound.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 21:22   #4

Check the Mahina bluewater boat list for some ideas. Not comprehensive but a good start.
Mahina Expedition - Offshore Cruising

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote