Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2014, 15:19   #1

Suggestions on a beginner sailboat

Starting to look at sailboats to begin day sails. I am torn between a Hunter 22 and a Catalina 22. From things I have read here on this forum, the Catalina is a smoother sailing vessel whereas the Hunter is a little sluggish and noisy.
The boat must be trailable and would prefer a outboard motor.
Also, have read stories of people buying boats on sites like ebay and having really bad results. Has anyone had an experience here?
Any comments or thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
happyboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 15:25   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Suggestions on a beginner sailboat.

West Wight Potter 19

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 16:16   #3
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Suggestions on a beginner sailboat.

[QUOTE=happyboatguy;1467547 From things I have read here on this forum,

Thanks
[/QUOTE]

Come on how much difference are you expecting? Get the one YOU like!
Old 13-02-2014, 17:16   #4

Boat: Newport 28

I can't really speak for how well a lot of boats sail, as I haven't been on that many. However, my brother last year, found an O'day 23, in excellent condition from top to bottom with trailer, on Craigslist. I believe at the time, the kid was asking a little under 2k for it all, but ended up trading for a couple jetskis my brother had. He actually lived on it while working up on Ontario in a bay for a few months, took it out all the time, loves it. It's obviously not huge, but from when I went out one weekend, it was very stable, and easily able to hit shallows without any fuss too.

I guess the moral is, bargains can be had, sometimes it takes some looking to find them, and sometimes you get lucky. And the only thing I could add, was make sure you're honest with what you want when you purchase. If you want a beginner sailer and know for a fact you're going to upgrade next year, factor that in. Remember you likely won't get what you put in it, out of it. Might be better off starting where you want. And don't purchase a boat and expect the world, if that makes sense. My brother isn't going to be taking that O'Day around the Horn, for example. But he knows what it's for, which is a trailerable sailboat that he can enjoy on weekends, and that's all he wants. (should say wanted, until we started working on buying things for my Ex26... now he wants bigger, and honestly, I can't wait for a few years to upgrade too!)
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 18:17   #5

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21
Suggestions on a beginner sailboat.

I too, am new to sailing. Speaking of choices reminds me of the other changes affecting those choices. Do you have children? Are you expecting grandchildren? These are all pertinent to the question at hand as those little sailors enjoy being part of your big picture. Trust me as my, "Trainer," is too small.! 😉 ⛵️ I did by a WindRider 16' Trimaran, "Trainer." It was an EBay purchase that went well... Although, "Sure, the trailer lights worked the last time we pulled it.!" Salt water and all tends to ruin them. LED's and we were good again. Boat was used but functional. Small Aka repair with some West Marine supplies and I was off.!!! All in all, a good experience for a $1200 boat with trailer. I did purchase a spare tire with wheel/rim. 👍
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 18:24   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Suggestions on a beginner sailboat.

"It's not the size... its how you use it.." applies to boats as well..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 18:34   #7

A sailboat like those 22s would be pretty much the same. Really. They have limited waterline length which is the determining factor unless you find a dog like some older Balboas with low rigs.

Disclaimer: we had, and really liked, our Catalina 22. They only made about 10,000 of 'em, musta been tryin' to get it right.

Oh, the builder is still in business.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 19:25   #8

A lot of places have a large group of Catalina 22s that race and cruise with each other. You might check your local scene and see if this is the case. That would be a good reason to buy the Catalina 22 if so.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 20:23   #9
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyboatguy View Post
Starting to look at sailboats to begin day sails. I am torn between a Hunter 22 and a Catalina 22. From things I have read here on this forum, the Catalina is a smoother sailing vessel whereas the Hunter is a little sluggish and noisy.
The boat must be trailable and would prefer a outboard motor.
Also, have read stories of people buying boats on sites like ebay and having really bad results. Has anyone had an experience here?
Thanks
I would look at getting something like a J22. They are great to learn on, you can race them and when you decide to sell her you should make your money back if you take care of her. They are also fairly easy to maintain for beginners.

There is a young guy in my marina who is pretty new to sailing and has been working his tail off learning the ropes. I just helped him finish a tiller he made himself and I was pretty impressed.

You can find them for pretty good prices all over the place.

Buying a boat anywhere from anyone is risky. Ebay, Broker, Auction, Out of some guys yard... it is hit or miss. Find a experienced sailor where you are looking buy the boat and take them with you.
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 21:30   #10

Boat: Hunter 27

There are many factors to consider. Where you are going to sail it is one. How it sails, how much room you need.
There are deals one ebay and evangelist but you need to know what you are looking at. A free boat might cost a fortune.
I have a Cal 20 and sail the Great Lakes. I wanted to move it around so I have a trailer but I only used it for winter storage. For one trip a year I could have went bigger one the boat. I went smaller because it was not different than the small ones I learned one but after I sailed some 27s the were not either.
Where you are going to sail will determine what you need. Weather is also a factor. Keel type, draft, etc. A swing keel or shoal draft boat are easy to trailer but might be more tender. A full keel sails great but more involved in trailering. I can launch off my trailer but I use a lift. It is much quicker.
For what I do I could have went bigger for the same money. You should go down to your local area and go sailing with someone. Sailors are a great group. I am always taking people out.
I joined a couple of clubs and got a chance to sail on boats between 25 to 44 feet. My next one will be between 27 to 32.
I started sailing sunfish, lasers, and Chrysler on inland lakes. They were good practice but not very stable or forgiving. I got to practice my swimming on the laser many times.
The one I have know I trust. I have had it out in 20 knot winds gusting to 30 no problem. What I cannot get around now is comfort and room.
There are a ton of deals now but know what you are buying. In the lower price range I have not got a survey but did on one that was more. Most the main problems can be spotted if you know what you are looking for.
I was looking at swing keeps at first but most needed work on the cables etc. Fixable but it was a factor. I sail with a 25. I cannot get as close to shore but mine points better and is stiffer.
Good luck and do not be afraid to ask questions. Sailors love to talk. I am taking mine next month to the Bahamas and everyone out here have been a great help.
Let us know what you end up with.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 22:24   #11
cruiser

Boat: Cheoy Lee 66 M/Y & Cambria 44 S/V - Captain Lurssen 145

I suggest you join a sailing program before buying a boat. Half the questions you're asking show signs of someone who is not knowledgeable enough to make a educated decision on a purchase.
sealubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 22:55   #12

Boat: S/V Running Fish - Passport 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealubber View Post
I suggest you join a sailing program before buying a boat. Half the questions you're asking show signs of someone who is not knowledgeable enough to make a educated decision on a purchase.
Seriously Sealubber? Which half of his questions would that be? How "knowledgeable" do you need to be before buying a trailer sailor as a first boat to learn on? And what should he learn in a sailing program that will make him an educated boat buyer? And don't you think telling him he's not knowledgeable enough to buy a small sailboat might be a bit insulting?

To the OP - I think the individual boat and its condition, and how you like it, matters most. Go sailing! Owning any boat you choose, and sailing it every time you can, is the best way to start out.
RunningFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 23:36   #13
cruiser

Boat: Cheoy Lee 66 M/Y & Cambria 44 S/V - Captain Lurssen 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningFish View Post
Seriously Sealubber? Which half of his questions would that be? How "knowledgeable" do you need to be before buying a trailer sailor as a first boat to learn on? And what should he learn in a sailing program that will make him an educated boat buyer? And don't you think telling him he's not knowledgeable enough to buy a small sailboat might be a bit insulting?

To the OP - I think the individual boat and its condition, and how you like it, matters most. Go sailing! Owning any boat you choose, and sailing it every time you can, is the best way to start out.
So you think before buying a boat he should not first learn how to sail?

The OP is asking about buying boats off of ebay after hearing bad things about it?

I'm not being insulting I'm speaking truth. If the OP came and asked me this in person I'd say the same thing.

Go get training on first how to sail and maintain a boat then buy one. The title of this thread was "Suggestions for a Beginner" That is my suggestion.

How "knowledgeable" do you need to be before buying a trailer sailor? Maybe you should suggest to him to go buy a MacGregor 26

Statements like you made above are what deepens the pockets of 2nd and 3rd hand buyers. (Oh lets just buy a boat and we know nothing about boats but that's okay we'll complain we want more money on resell because we waxed it twice in 3 years and had our local car mechanic fix the engine. And we also added a watermaker because we like showers. Come on, people need to get educated before jumping into owning something that goes in the worlds harshest environment. Trailor sailor or 150 yacht.
sealubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 00:14   #14

Boat: S/V Running Fish - Passport 40

I see nothing wrong with buying a trailer sailor to learn about sailing and about ownership, even without knowing how to sail first. Of course I'd suggest the OP stick to safe learning locations, but he didn't say where he was planning on sailing.

"I'm not being insulting" - you can't say for sure how your comments were received, only that you intended no insult. I found the comments presumptuous and condescending, but that's just my opinion.

"I'm speaking truth" - incorrect - your comments were opinion, as is mine.
RunningFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 00:24   #15
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealubber View Post
So you think before buying a boat he should not first learn how to sail?

The OP is asking about buying boats off of ebay after hearing bad things about it?

I'm not being insulting I'm speaking truth. If the OP came and asked me this in person I'd say the same thing.

Go get training on first how to sail and maintain a boat then buy one. The title of this thread was "Suggestions for a Beginner" That is my suggestion.

How "knowledgeable" do you need to be before buying a trailer sailor? Maybe you should suggest to him to go buy a MacGregor 26

Statements like you made above are what deepens the pockets of 2nd and 3rd hand buyers. (Oh lets just buy a boat and we know nothing about boats but that's okay we'll complain we want more money on resell because we waxed it twice in 3 years and had our local car mechanic fix the engine. And we also added a watermaker because we like showers. Come on, people need to get educated before jumping into owning something that goes in the worlds harshest environment. Trailor sailor or 150 yacht.
I actually agree with sealubber on this. Even though that was a pretty abrasive way to lay out his opinion so I doubt it'll get much traction.
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat