Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2011, 00:21   #1

Boat: Islander 36
Strange Prop Location

I've been "lurking" on the site for a while now, but I finally have a question that I couldn't find answered already.
I'm looking at potentially buying a 1968 Islander 37, and everything seems within my range of comfortablity (price, condition, etc.) EXCEPT the prop shaft exits above the rudder instead of in front of it. The boat is on the hard now so I have no idea if that's a big deal or not. It would seem to me that slow speed maneuvering under motor would be awful. Without being able to send bursts of water past the rudder it seems like I'd be playing bumper boats in the marina and getting stressed out in the process. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance for the help!
D-Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 01:42   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Strange prop location

Simlar concept to the Abin Vega and acknowledged as something to be aware of and get used to.

Lack of control in reverse gear. The unusual situation of the propeller, aft of the rudder, seems to create difficulties with steering the Vega when she’s in reverse gear. She will need to be moving astern at a fairly rapid clip before the rudder takes effect, and while she’s building up speed there’s no knowing where she might go. Probably it will depend on the direction of the wind — it often happens (not only to Vegas) that a boat going astern will weathercock downwind, that is, pivot from the propeller and point her bow downwind; nothing you can do will prevent it. It’s just a question of experimenting and getting to know your boat. It’s not a serious flaw. Vegas don’t spend much of their lives in reverse gear.

Albin Vega Cruising Yacht Review

How about spending the day on board sailing her and checking to see how bad it is, get the owner to show you that with experience and practise it can be manouvered okay.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 04:18   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, D-Bo.
ISLANDER 37 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 05:17   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Strange Prop Location

Looks like a sweet boat. Never owned one with the prop in that position, but did have for many years, a C&C redwing 30. Small spade rudder, similar U/W profile. Had to use some power to get it steer in reverse.
In theory, boat should steer nicely astern, as thrust is then directly on the prop - shrug ?
I would not let this feature dissuade me, if the price is right.
Old 22-05-2011, 09:58   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

First thing I assumed.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 13:58   #6

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum D-Bo
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 12:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Simlar concept to the Abin Vega and acknowledged as something to be aware of and get used to.

Lack of control in reverse gear. The unusual situation of the propeller, aft of the rudder, seems to create difficulties with steering the Vega when she’s in reverse gear. She will need to be moving astern at a fairly rapid clip before the rudder takes effect, and while she’s building up speed there’s no knowing where she might go. Probably it will depend on the direction of the wind — it often happens (not only to Vegas) that a boat going astern will weathercock downwind, that is, pivot from the propeller and point her bow downwind; nothing you can do will prevent it. It’s just a question of experimenting and getting to know your boat. It’s not a serious flaw. Vegas don’t spend much of their lives in reverse gear.

Albin Vega Cruising Yacht Review

How about spending the day on board sailing her and checking to see how bad it is, get the owner to show you that with experience and practise it can be manouvered okay.

Pete
Thanks Pete. The boat is on the hard now, and has been for a couple years. The owner is up in years, and has a bad knee which is why it's available for sail. I'd have to put a deposit on the boat, and be willing to pay for it to be hauled back out if I didn't choose to buy it after testing it out in the water. It would really make the most sense to get a survey done while it's out of the water, then put it in for testing since that would save several hundred dollars and get a more complete survey done. I basically need to do enough research to where I feel confident in spending $1000 towards a purchase which I might not go through with. I'd prefer an Islander 36, but I can't seem to find the right one for the right deal.
Old 23-05-2011, 12:26   #8

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, and advice. Does anyone have a boat with a prop location like this that can comment on slow speed maneuverability?