Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2010, 15:23   #16

as a profesional cook thers nothing I cant do on a 2 burner origo (alchol)
its safe and easy maintenance and you can find fuel anywhere the world over.
love mine
gas, propan too dangerous
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 16:51   #17

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
I prefer methylated spirit (denatured alcohol) stoves to propane as they are much safer and you do not have the hassle of disconnecting a propane tank from it's mounting and lugging it around to get refilled. So if you are contemplating replacing your propane stove this is the way I would go.

Methylated spirits is also very cheap and very easy to obtain fuel virtually anywhere in convenient plastic bottles and it is also multi purpose as you can use it for heaps of other uses as shown below which is a big advantage over propane.

Here are some uses for methylated spirits.

- It's great as a glass cleaner! If you're going to use it in hot conditions, dilute it with water.

- Methylated spirits can be used to remove ink stains from upholstery or clothes

- Remove permanent marker from pvc plastics.

- As a solvent for thinning paint

- For cleaning paint brushes as an alternative to fossil fuel based solvents

- As a general metal cleaner

- For removing stickers and sticker residue from car windscreens

- To clean bike disc brakes

- Cleaning electronics

- Cleaning CD/DVD laser lenses (use a cotton bud/q- tip)
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 18:29   #18

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post

gas, propan too dangerous
This explains why all but one cruising boats I have been on have propane/butane stoves.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 14:41   #19

Boat: Hunter 701 23ft - Panache
well I have load to think about...I will on all your advice discount the coleman and think either about the propane/butane option or the origo....The boat is already plumbed for gas with a line from the aft locker to the cooker area...I would replace the regulator and probably the stove if I go propane and make a wooden box on the shelf in the aft locker for the gas bottle...How big a hole would I drill in the transom to vent the gas box overboard....are origo really all they are talked up about....my problem is living in the UK where the authorities are too stupid to realise that with cheap alcho pops the kids would much rather drink WKD than industrial ethanol and therefore have strict regulation on all ethanol other than Meths the smell might be bad in the cabin area.... any ideas?//
pinnache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:04   #20

I'll take the "hassle" of disconnecting two lines and spinning a nut off once every two months (propane, with two people and a baby living aboard) to hauling stinky fuel onboard and pouring it through a funnel into a tank under the galley (kerosene / alcohol). And let's not forget priming. Wait until you tell your wife/girlfriend "sorry honey, first you'll need to prime this stove which requires arsonist level skill and considerable more time, every time, you want to use the stove."

My wife (and I) love propane onboard. Look around at the amount of boats blowing up (compared to the amounts that are not and using propane safely). Vent the tank, don't try to make your own fittings, and inspect the hose length every now and again. Nothing special.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:22   #21

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
I am waiting on delivery of a stove identical to this "Little Cod" except that mine is blue enamel. I can hardly wait for Christmas eve sitting with my wife in front of a warm fire. The dollar price is high, but romance is priceless.

I also purchased two drop in alcohol burners which allows me to cook with passive alcohol like my current stove but with more style.
Nice

for the 23' boat why don't he just do like us and get one of then cheap butane burners from the dollar shop Get them now under $20 and cartridges 4 for $5 good safetey switch no lpg leaks
SurferShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:05   #22

Boat: Ohlson 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxHead View Post
Nice

for the 23' boat why don't he just do like us and get one of then cheap butane burners from the dollar shop Get them now under $20 and cartridges 4 for $5 good safetey switch no lpg leaks
The main reason I purchased a Little Cod wood stove was because it's just too beautiful not to put in my boat. If I wanted ugly but practical I would by a stainless stove from west marine. Many of my choices for my boat lean heavily in favor of aesthetics and romanticism over practicality. Just as my choice to live aboard requires similar compromises.

I would offer that going without all that propane etc would be a better decision.
I also am removing water pumps from the galley and head and replacing with gravity feed water system similar to the pardey's and installing a composting toilet. But hey, I might find that I can't live without propane and pumps and switch it all back.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:15   #23

cartridge stove option

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxHead View Post
Nice

The thought had occured to me...however I really want / need a double burner and so didn't think cartridges were an option until I saw this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0039O2BG0?ie=UTF8&tag=shopwiki-uk-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738

I don't know though...still think I like the idea of the Origo burners...(are they fed from a tank on the unit or a remote tank??)

Back to the propane option , how big a hole do I vent, through the transom, from the bottom of the gas box in the aft locker.

Thanks for all your help
Old 04-10-2010, 11:57   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnache View Post
... didn't think cartridges were an option until I saw this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0039O2BG0?ie=UTF8&tag=shopwiki-uk-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738
I don't know though...
The Amazon ad for the Double Hob Camping Stove Cooker Dual Burner with 4 Gas specifies for outdoor use only.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:38   #25

does anyone know if the origo alcohol burners are built in or remote tank?
Old 05-10-2010, 12:48   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The alcohol reservoirs (Fuel Canister) are separate parts, not built in.

See ➥ Origo Stove Parts, Accessories and Owners Manuals

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:49   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I'll take the "hassle" of disconnecting two lines and spinning a nut off once every two months (propane, with two people and a baby living aboard) to hauling stinky fuel onboard and pouring it through a funnel into a tank under the galley (kerosene / alcohol). And let's not forget priming. Wait until you tell your wife/girlfriend "sorry honey, first you'll need to prime this stove which requires arsonist level skill and considerable more time, every time, you want to use the stove."

My wife (and I) love propane onboard. Look around at the amount of boats blowing up (compared to the amounts that are not and using propane safely). Vent the tank, don't try to make your own fittings, and inspect the hose length every now and again. Nothing special.
+1

I've had something like 71 sea days in the last 12 months and many non-sea days aboard, so probably 4 months living aboard? I have yet to buy any propane. We have a separate gas locker, vented overboard for safety, which holds two (large) gas bottles, both full when I bought the boat more than a year ago. Only last month did I empty the first bottle and swap it out for the spare. We have a solenoid gas valve with the switch next to the stove so the gas is turned off at the gas locker every time the stove is turned off. Flip a switch, light it up, and cook. That's it.

How many systems do you have on board which are so completely trouble free? Don't you have enough systems that demand constant fiddling, filling up this or that stinky liquid, trying to avoid smoke, cleaning carbon deposits, etc.? I don't know about you, but I sure do!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 13:02   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
as a temp stove, as long as you keep your boat wide open, as do i, then coleman type camp stoves are great--i use a propane coleman with a hose rather than a metal connector-- more flexing i found breaks the connection under the body of the stove-- is caused by frequent changes of cannister.
(in winter, if i remain in so cal, i place tarps over boat to keep out rain, and i can watch weather an stay dry at one time!)for permanent stove, i choose propane over anything else--i have eaten abalone cooked on alcohol stove by a pro cook--yukk--rubber, propane-- not rubber. so .....
nor have i ever had a problem with propane. the explosions that the media hype so well occur so rarely and by those who forgot to turn off system prior to changing tanks. place a solenoid and keep the propane outside. enjoy. use system wisely and is alll good. oh yeah--dont forget to turn off propane everywhere before changing tanks!!! doesnt take much and is simple.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 13:07   #29

Boat: Custom Cutter 38
I found this cute little thing AFTER I bought my Plastimo 3000 for A LOT more money.

Camp Chef Propane Camp Oven and Stove
sailingmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 16:54   #30
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Methylated spirits is also very cheap and very easy to obtain fuel virtually anywhere in convenient plastic bottles and it is also multi purpose as you can use it for heaps of other uses as shown below which is a big advantage over propane.
Nope its not, its alomost impossoble to find in the Med thats for sure.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote