Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 09:33   #1

Boat: Hunter 701 23ft - Panache
Stopcocks on Launching

Hi there, the previous owner of my boat has just contacted me to say that I should close the head stopcock on launching my boat this weekend. Is there any reason you can think why he would advise this?
pinnache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:09   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
If you have never had the boat in the water since you bought it, it might be a good idea to close all but the engine stopcocks before launch, but otherwise its probably not necessary. You might ask the PO why he advised closing the head stopcock--does he know of a problem with the head which might better be fixed before launch??
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:16   #3

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
You profile does not say what type / size of boat you have bought.
But if launching at speed from a trailer, then an open seacock could see a fountain effect down below!
If a regular launch from a crane / lifter, then I can't seriously think why he's worried. But if he is, perhaps worth following his advice.
JOHN
Old 03-11-2010, 12:21   #4

Boat: PETERSON 44
I usually have the lift operator leave the slings below the boat while I check the bilges. A leftover habit from the days of wood. Last launch I had a bit of water come in from the stuffing box and they waited until I had it set proper. seems prudent to close the sea cocks though.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:22   #5

Specifically stopcocks on head

Hi there was speaking to my seller from Protugal today and he said that nothing wrong with head, just some friendly advice re stopcocks on heads in general manner. He simply said that it was good advice to generally turn off the stopcocks for the head unless it was actually being used and that there was nothing wrong with the head.

He suggested that a stopcock may siphon water into the head if left open when the boat is in the water.

What do you think?
Old 03-11-2010, 15:35   #6

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
You profile does not say what type / size of boat you have bought.
JOHN
I have a hunter 701 23ft fin keel GRP hull Lead keel on a converted yard cradle now with wheels, will attempt a trailer launch at the local slipway this Saturday with a tractor...If this doesn't work out ( we have alot of sand and littel depth and I draw 4ft) I will pull out and reposition for a crane drop next week

CJ
Old 04-11-2010, 07:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnache View Post
He suggested that a stopcock may siphon water into the head if left open when the boat is in the water. What do you think?
If the head is properly installed, with an anti-siphon loop and vent, then this should not be a problem. Sounds like you need to take a look at how the head is plumbed.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:45   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I'd suggest you close every single stop cock on the boat... then while its still in the slings go round turning them on one by one... there have been occasions in the past when a stop cock has not actually been attatched to anything....
Saves a panic dash round trying to figure out where the waters coming from... hell the price they're charging for the launch more than justifies the extra 15 minutes while you check your water tightness

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:57   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'd suggest you close every single stop cock on the boat... then while its still in the slings go round turning them on one by one... there have been occasions in the past when a stop cock has not actually been attatched to anything....
Saves a panic dash round trying to figure out where the waters coming from... hell the price they're charging for the launch more than justifies the extra 15 minutes while you check your water tightness
Yup, my yard always requests this, and they will always do that if the owner is not present. They always perform a bilge check. Just smart practice.

Also, leaving valves open is an excelent way to grow barnacles in the hoses. Best to shut them when not in use.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
If the head is properly installed, with an anti-siphon loop and vent, then this should not be a problem. Sounds like you need to take a look at how the head is plumbed.
Anti-siphoning loops are a "fairly" recent development.

That being said, close all the seacocks with the exception of the raw water intake. You may need to start the engine quickly after the boat is in the water.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:53   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Anti-siphoning loops are a "fairly" recent development.

That being said, close all the seacocks with the exception of the raw water intake. You may need to start the engine quickly after the boat is in the water.
funny you should say this about anti siphoning loop vents, as all my boats always had them-- from 1965 on forward to this date-- how recent are you discussing here for the introduction of these recent developments?/ is 40 yrs recent?? just wondering, as i cant figger out how many years is recent...means a different thing to each and every reader, seems.....

and, yes, is a good thing to make sure they are closed before introducing water to hull.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:56   #12

Zeehag

I used to sail a 1984 C&C 35 that did not have anti-siphoning loops in the head intake. A friend discovered this when he forgot to close the flush lever.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:00   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Zeehag

I used to sail a 1984 C&C 35 that did not have anti-siphoning loops in the head intake. A friend discovered this when he forgot to close the flush lever.
wow--didnt know that recently there werent any -- so , being out of the loop isnt always a good thing...blug.. yipes....
my formosa didnt have one until i placed one just 2 yrs ago--i thought the restorer forgot to replace them......but my 1965 derelict olympian had them..... so i didnt realize there was a time when, in recent past....there really werent any planned into the design...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 15:53   #14

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
In some cases, the actual bowl is below the level of the waterline and, unless a raised loop (above the w/l) and vacuum breaker is fitted on the water inlet, water can siphon in.

But, as has been pointed out, closing all seackocks when re-launching, is prident anyway. Open them 1 at a time, and check each is watertight prior to opening the next one.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote