Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2016, 07:51   #1

STICKY ROLLER FURLER

Hello everyone, I need some advice.
I have a 1970 22 Alberg with a roller furling jib. The furler is attached at the top with a sheet. Lately, the sheet rolls around the fuller and will not open properly. Does that upper roller need to be greased? If so, how do I do it? Does the sheet at the top of the furler need to be really tight? When would you loosen the the furler sheet, light winds?
Thank you in advance!! This is all new to me.
dtuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:02   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: STICKY ROLLER FURLER

The line at the top (?) you may mean the halyard?

If the halyard wraps, you will get into trouble.

First thing make the halyard tight when it is NOT WRAPPED.

Then make sure the halyard does not run parallel to the foil but rather at an angle.

Avoid wraps. They can destroy the top part of the furler/sail and or forestay.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:09   #3

Thank you for such a quick response b.. Is it called a jib halyard? The sheet rolls on the top of the furler, like the roller on top of the furler isn't rolling smoothly. Not sure if my vernacular is correct, still learning. As I roll the furler out the rope wraps around the upper portion of the furler. Should that jib halyard be really tight?? It runs to a winch on the mast.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:14   #4

The line at the top is the Halyard. It should not wrap around when you furl. There is a bearing device that attaches to the top of the sail, if the bearings are bad or froze up it will wrap like that. many furlers have a device that keeps the bearing assembly from wrapping (even when the bearings are good).
I suggest you get the sail and that bearing down and inspect it. This will help you figure out how it works also.
Loosen the halyard and pull the sail down on deck. That bearing assembly should come down with it.
Here's a typical headsail furler, yours may not be this complicated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	216.png
Views:	1143
Size:	353.7 KB
ID:	125325  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:21   #5

Thank you cheechako.
So, I loosen the jib halyard with the sail rolled up and physically pull the entire sail to the deck to take a look?? Do I need to loosen anything at the base roller?
Thank you so much, this is fantastic information!!
Old 01-06-2016, 08:24   #6

Boat: Vagabond 14

Halyard... From "Haul Yard"... hauls sails up the yardarm (from old square riggers)
Now used for lines (ropes) used to pull a sail up the mast.

Sheet... The lines used to control a sail derives from Old English "scéata" meaning the lower corner of a sail.

If you think about the origin of the names they actually make sense.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:25   #7

unfurl the sail with the sheet attached, but keep it loose. (don't do this when windy at the dock)
Then loosen the halyard and pull it down on deck.. On small boats like yours there are often some very simple furlers that don't work as well as the more complicated ones. That in itself could be your problem. It's hard to say. But pull it down and get a look at it and inspect things anyway!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:27   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep.

I believe we are talking about a halyard. Halyards are the lines used to hoist the sails.

Sending you another image that may help you sort out the desired solution to avoid wraps.

The halyard must be tight, not slack.

A bad halyard wrap may put your furler out of service. Avoid.

Cheers,
b.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	halyard wrap.jpg
Views:	1423
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	125326  
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:34   #9

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

I would suggest lowering the jib and furling gear. Check the upper gear, the halyard fitting should allow the bottom portion to rotate freely. This causes the sail to roll around itself to the furled position. I don't know what lube would be appropriate if any, you don't want something that can hold dust or dirt, or, damage the gear. Take it down and post some pictures.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:41   #10

Boat: Able 50

You can't lower the sail when it is furled up. You have to fully unfurl it and then lower. Probably best to wait for a time when there is no wind. Early morning maybe?

Another cause of the problem (apart from a frozen bearing) is a jib luff that is too short. Frozen top bearings are pretty rare. Before you pull the sail down have a look up the mast and see how far the top of the jib is from the mast. It should be about 1 foot. If it is any more than that the halyard will wrap around the forestay and jam up the whole system.

The solution is to make up a pennant which is just a piece of rope. It should cover the gap between the top of the sail and the upper swivel. You tie it to the top of the sail and then to the swivel. The idea is to hoist the jib then have the swivel finish up around 9-12" from the mast when the sail is fully hoisted. Chances are this rope will be around 2-4 feet long. A little experimentation might be necessary to get the length right.

Once you settle the right length ask a rigger to splice up a permanent pennant. The rigger might also help you to test the system and get the length right.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:06   #11

Boat: Vagabond 14

Well... might be stuck with either climbing up.... or unstepping the mast to get the problem positioned to where you can actually work on it.

Unless you can somehow slide the whole roller furler off the forestay. (maybe using mainsail halyard as temp forestay)
Its an idea...
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:04   #12

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

On such an old boat, you may have one of the early roller furlers. Any photos of it? Knowing the make and model can help.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 13:45   #13

Man, you guys are great. Thank you, so much, for the help. I am so new at this, I thought that the entire furler should come down not loosening the headsail and dropping just the sail. Learn something new every day. It is a very simple, inexpensive system. I will post pics next Monday after I get out to the boat this weekend. There is probably 12' or so of headsail space between it an the mast. It definitely runs parallel to the foil, straight up the furler and is not very long, about 4-6" of halyard is showing when tight. I didn't realize that the bearing device is actually attached to the headsail vs. attached to the furler. It rolled great for the last 6 months and now has started to bind up a bit. I think if I use some dry lube on the bearing it will free it up.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:03   #14

Boat: Able 50

Sounds like the top swivel needs cleaning. It might be clogged with salt.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, roller furler