Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2014, 19:07   #1

Stevens 40

Looking at a S&S Stevens 40 1984 nice boat. I can find little info. Anyone with enough knowledge to point out problem areas to look out for. Well equipped and maintained boat with A layout newer engine and much new equipment. Looks like she's ready to sail. Want more data before I decide to look at her and possibly order a survey. Thanks.

Big brother is the 47 and that is now the Hylas 47 basically same boat and the newer 49. Seaworthy boat that points well with a nice sea motion and an advanced hull for the day made of quality materials and workmanship. Lots of new updates. Decent tankage.

What do you think? Thanks. For SE and Caribbean sailing for now.
jobberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 00:41   #2

Boat: stevens 40, sparkman and stephens design
Re: Stevens 40

We have a Stevens 40. Absolutely love it. Fits all 5 of us. Sails comfortably (up and down the coast of California so far) and points fairly high. Hope it works out for you!
afamilyafloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:26   #3

Thanks for he input. It's still for sale. We've both had a bit of minor health stuff so we put off buying for now. I keep going back to cats but this is probably a better fit for us at this point in our sailing lives. Thanks again.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:31   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

I have sailed an extended version of Stevens 50 and she was one of two most comfortable monohull boats I have ever been on. I absolutely loved how she moved. She was easy to drive and kept good speed thru somewhat turbulent conditions of that day.

The hull and rigging were all fine quality materials (boat built, I believe, in Taiwan). She was a bit demanding on maintenance though - teak deck and plenty of varnished trim above deck.

If S40 is from the same stable, I would definitely go for a test ride followed by a survey.

Good luck, tell us how it went!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I have sailed an extended version of Stevens 50 and she was one of two most comfortable monohull boats I have ever been on. I absolutely loved how she moved. She was easy to drive and kept good speed thru somewhat turbulent conditions of that day.

The hull and rigging were all fine quality materials (boat built, I believe, in Taiwan). She was a bit demanding on maintenance though - teak deck and plenty of varnished trim above deck.

If S40 is from the same stable, I would definitely go for a test ride followed by a survey.

Good luck, tell us how it went!

Cheers,
b.
Thanks. Can the 50 be sailed by two?
Old 08-08-2014, 12:57   #6

I've heard the 47 is real sweet boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 14:24   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobberone View Post
Thanks. Can the 50 be sailed by two?
It depends on who the two are and on how she is laid out. I sailed her with her captain.

When owners were onboard, she was sailed by her captain and one deckhand. She had all sails on motorised furlers and many controls led to the cockpit.

If you get one (they are deck salon styled when they are 50') the weak point is the cabin roof support. It was rebuilt on the one I sailed.

One like this:
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=5694

Ours was extended.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote