Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 21:41   #31
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
omg she's coming this way.... ;-)

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 22:01   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
will be spring before i get to carib but this summer i will be bothering everyone on the east coast lol....in a friend's boat...:cubalibre...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 00:55   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Windward sailing, cruising and bum-shape

FWIW,

Gosh, this thread has drifted a long way from a discussion of the effects of stern configuration upon sailing characteristics, but there was yet another quotation of the old saw "Gentlemen never sail to windward". Well, I suppose that may be true, and perhaps it should be amended to add " they hire delivery crews to get their boats to windward destinations". Life and one's cruising desires sometimes puts you to leeward of a place you want or need to reach.

Ann and I have no interest in hiring crew, nor could we afford to do so. Consequently I've been damn glad that when the dread windward passage has hove up, we've been in yachts that do really well on the wind. What ones come to mind? Well BC (before cruising) we often sailed from San Francisco down to the Channel Islands for a holiday cruise. The return bash up the California coast is all to windward, and not very nice at times. Then we did a quick trip to Hawaii... nice downwind slide, but the trip back (to return to w#%k) has large windward legs, and they had to be done. And then we finally got away to cruise endlessly... but we ran out of money in French Polynesia and had to get back to earn some freedom chips. 6000+ miles to windward, mate!
Now we're long term cruisers, and we usually spend the cyclone season in Oz. But then we long for the islands, and New Caledonia and Vanuatu are only 800 to 1000 miles away... upwind in the SE trades. Done that trip over 10 times now, and we've blessed our unsuitable, non-traditional yachts on each one of them.

I suppose that this all goes to prove that I'm not a gentleman! But I think that advising wannabe cruisers that windward ability isn't important in a cruising boat does them a big disservice.

Finally, I can't help but mention one undiscussed advantage of a sugarscoop stern in a cruising boat: in the awful event of a MOB, getting an uncooperative body out of the water and onto the scoop is one hell of a lot easier than rigging and then utilizing a Lifesling or whatever to drag it over the topsides amidships. The adverts for these devices never seem to recognize the difficulties introduced by the (now sail-less) boat rolling wildly as the victim bashes against the hull. OW!

I won't stoop to arguing aesthetics 'cause they are personal, but worrying about invaders using the scoop seems silly to me. A conventional transom stern didn't help poor Malcolm on Mr. Bean in Thailand recently... the invaders climbed from the water over the sides on their way to murder him.

OK, enough ranting... cheers to all, no matter what the shape of their bums!

Jim
Old 21-08-2009, 09:56   #34

Boat: a sailing boat
There are very many posts here that would seem to suggest that (almost) all older scoop/transom/overhang designs are not same with a double-ender ... so please have the mental exercise and look from below the boat !!! Yes - the underwater portion of the hull is the same = the hydrodinamics in normal conditions are the same - rolling, acceleration, weather helm.... Now, above the water line the differences are aesthetics but sure in heavy weather running the less displacement in overhangs the less the boat will be tossed about by the breaking waves.

Off course - the new, broad stern sledges ARE different. But they are not really yet established in the cruising world.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote