Hi from germany
, here in Germany
and Netherland we ahve a lot of metal boats and i just purchased a 44 feet aluminium one form 1985. Some thoughts:
1) building a boat might need 4-6 years work
2) the hull
is only 15-20 % of the investment and the work
3) most people go for aluminium below 50 feet because of the weight and easier maintenance
4) rethink resale value for a complete DIY boat
5) my boat has a professional built hull
but DIY internal which i would say it a better quality than many yards can deliver. cost in 1985 250.000 usd for material and 6000 working hours.
6) in the end you spent a lot of money
and you will make a lot of faults which is normal if you built your first boat, house or car........
I strongly suggest you look in europe
for a proven designed boat like van de stadt and you buy a used boat
or a unfinish project
, there are several.
I had the opportunity to get a van de stad 40 carribean in Alu , built partly in poland
, 90% finished for 100.000 usd...... the boat was only 3 years old but i was too slow and somebody else bought the boat within a week.