Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 11:09   #1

Boat: Northwind 47
Steel Hull Van de Stadt 44 Design

Does any one have any comments or advices regards the above? i have an buying opportunity and would welcome comemnts from the steel hull saailors as to the pros and cons of steel hulls as opposed to grp ( that i would normally buy) The boat will be sailed over oceans in north and south hemisheres for a few months a year and used as a weekender in bonny scotland when home

any comments would be much appreciated
utahmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:17   #2

Boat: OVNI 435 - Pelerin
Which one? There's a 44ft Madeira which is a more modern fin and spade rudder design, or an older more ocean going long fin and skeg hung rudder design, sometimes called a Migrant 44 (from memory).

I looked seriously at a UK built version of the latter design some years ago, and it was seriously good boat. Morvoren Seacraft of Penryn in Cornwall built quite a few to a very high standard, and they were really popular for long distances. If you could find a good rust free one from Morvoren or one of the Dutch yards it could be a great buy.
Sharkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 13:25   #3

Hi

Many thanks for the swift reply, this vessel is a madiera and built at the penryn yard, she was an abandoned project that was completed by a consortium of friends to a tune i beleive of £200 plus, and owned/sailed by them ever since. my worries are corrosion below teak deck around the anchor locker as i can find no evidence of rust or decay anywhere else, i can forsee a deck strip and expensive new teak! otherwise im keen to know how they sail! a dog or a great performer?
Old 08-11-2009, 13:50   #4

Boat: OVNI 435 - Pelerin
If it's the boat I'm thinking she was indeed built to a high standard. JT at Morvoren had a good reputation and his round bilge hulls could could give many of the Dutch yards a run for their money. The interior and externals were completed by top local craftsmen.

I've never sailed one, but most Van de Stadts sail well, the only thing might be her quality build could make her heavy and so limit light airs performance. Teak decks on metal boats have never appealed to me for reasons of possible corrosion - if you strip the deck off it might even be better not to renew it and save the weight, cost and the rainforest!
Sharkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 20:02   #5

Boat: Swan 56
The VDS Madeira -great boat!!!. A personal favorite of mine.

With a steel boat you will gain strength, but loose a bit of performance. There is typically more maintenance also.

The maintenance may not be a big issue if you were planning extended cruising (we all like to potter right?). But if it is a weekend boat, it may tie you to the dock more than you would be happy with.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:38   #6

Van de stadt

Many thanks for the interest and advice, i guess your are/were local to the south west of england at one time,

The vessel is in fantastic condition at present, in time if in my onwership the teak will go and become a painted non slip deck or perhaps a cork strip deck or even a fake teak (flexiteak) deck bonded to the hull.

I can live with a loss of light airs performance as a trade of for a great heavy weather boat

many thanks for the advice

ewan
Old 09-11-2009, 03:40   #7

Thanks for teh advice, i handy with a blaster and spray gun as well as a welder so in the long term the boat and i would be well suited.

many thanks
Old 09-11-2009, 05:32   #8

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Was away sailing my 30 year old Van de Stadt steel ketch this weekend so couldn't reply, however I reiterate Sharkman and bewitched comments. As long as the initial paint system inside was up to mark then you will be fine. You do lose some light wind peformance, but more than make for it when it blows.

I hope it works out for you and if you buy it (after survey) then post a few photos and you shall feel the envy.
Best Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:51   #9

van de stadt 44

Hi alan

many thanks, im getting a warm and confident feel for this boat thanks to the positives received re the yacht in general.

i have a good few pics taken at the weekend and am scheduled to go sailing in a few weekends time.

do you have a email that i can send you a piccy or two? they are high res and not suitble for this email i think.

most probabaly will be over the pond if all goes well next season

Best regards Ewan
Old 09-11-2009, 06:17   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
An Utah-Monty in Scotland ;-) I sailed a steel vd Stad for 17 years (in Holland). These boats are good but won't take the prices in the club race, which is okay. Your intended use is much like what I did in those 17 years and I would advise to find a berth on fresh water, like up a river (which might be difficult in Scotland depending on where in Scotland you live). That will make a huge difference in rust control.

The deck: after years of doubt we went the Treadmaster route and after more than 10 years it was still like new when we sold the boat. But don't count on that performance in the tropics. Also, in the tropics you tend to be bare footed and that's not very nice either on Treadmaster. We used light gray with even lighter gray paint around it (navy blue hull) and that looks very good on a steel hull and much better than just painted decks which is what we had before.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:29   #11

van de stadt 44

Thanks nick

i reckon my wife will insist i replace teak with teak but we will see!!

last in the race is fine with me as when you do better it makes the fast boat crews look bad!

All the best ewan
Old 09-11-2009, 09:40   #12

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
I sent you a PM with my email address. Saw your photo....Which one are you?

Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 13:32   #13

Boat: a sailing boat
Van de Stadt, Koopman, Zaal ....

Just gimme the cash and one is mine!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steel hull