Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2016, 01:44   #1

Boat: Dehler Varianta 65
Steel Dutch designs under 9m... any info?

Hello everyone,

I am very curious about a few smaller steel designs, found mainly in the Netherlands.
Not wanting to start (yet another) discussion on "Steel boats Vs Fiberglass", I would like to know if someone can point me to more info on these designs regarding their seaworthiness. I know that a few were specifically designed to cruise the inland waterways, but some "look just right" for extended coastal cruising.

Although not particularly "inclined" to get one in particular, I really like the idea of a small tough steel boat, even though admittedly slower than its fiberglass equivalent in light airs. This meaning that if I would find two "similar" boats (Glass and Steel) that had been maintained in great condition, I would probably get the steel one.

So seaworthiness of the design in my question here.

The particular boats are:
Domp (7.7m)
Jakon (7.5m)
Argonaut (7.4m)
Sneekermeer (8m)
Friesland (8m)
Many Other...

Info is scarce and almost exclusively in Dutch, so can anybody please shed a light on this?
Thanks.
messias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 03:52   #2

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Steel Dutch designs under 9m... any info?

Ive got no idea about the specifics of any of those designs, but I have sailed a few smaller steel yachts offshore. The biggest issue is stability, This is not just a light air problem, but effects seaworthiness badly.

One of the boats I sailed from NZ to tonga was a small steel 28 foot double ender. It was beautifully built, but the cabin deck, and rig were way too heavy, and she really suffered at sea due to this. Even my 33 footer suffered from a heavy cabin. She really would have been better with a plywood cabin top.

If you step on the sidedeck and the boat seems to roll excessively be wary. Not to say some small steel boats are not great boats. Ive seen a beautiful virtue type boat out of steel that sailed many miles offshore.
Old 24-03-2016, 04:14   #3

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: Steel Dutch designs under 9m... any info?

Since you're asking a very general question about these boats, with only a very general sailing area idea, I'll give you a very general "nope, not designed for extensive coastal cruising" as an answer

Tags
steel