Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 15:31   #451

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
Hello All. This is my first post here.
I am a total newby to boating, but I took the plunge and bought a Bruce Roberts steel hull. Its just the hull, lead ballast and a prop and shaft. Its a 45 (14ft beam) footer with almost no rust. She has a few rusty welds inside but almost no pitting on the plates. No rust outside. Even the bilge its not to bad. I plan to grind out what rust there is and coat it with west system epoxy. Is this a reasonable thing to do?

Matt
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 15:59   #452

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Get a hold of Carboline and order some of their marine epoxys. I have Espina painted with it, same stuff they use on seafreight containers. Great stuff, she was done 5 years ago and no rust anywhere.

Then sandblast the hull areas and paint it with the carboline paints.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 15:59   #453
cruiser

Is she primed, or just bare steel? What kind of primer? Was the mill scale blasted off?
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 21:24   #454

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
Which model Roberts do you have? How much of the interior is accessible? Steel boats tend to rust from the inside out, so it's important to know what lies behind the joinery. There is some good information on this link, but it's long. You may also want to try the metalboatsociety.org. They have a forum devoted exclusively to metal boats.

Regards,

Thomas
Old 12-07-2010, 22:34   #455
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Wet or dry?

The best paint may depend on where in the boat it's to be applied.

I was a total ignoramus (maybe still am) when I started. The paint companies technical support led me down a few dead ends and I wasted a few hundred dollars on buying the wrong paint.

Before doing anything else I believe it is essential to make sure that all internal water drains freely to the bilge and that all possible sources of internal water are minimised. Good hatches/portholes, no deck leaks, insulation to minimise condensation, keeping the boat ventilated-That sort of thing.

So where possible drill the largest possible drain holes through frames and stringers. Do not drill through the hull! Do not weaken the frames or stringers. Small holes tend to block up so may be a waste of time. I have used generic epoxy resin to fill any small hollows that I could not get to drain after cleaning them out as much as possible and treating them with tannic or phosphoric acid.

The key factor in deciding on which paint and how many coats is whether the area will get wet, and if it might be salt water.

Inside the boat I have used single pack enamel paint advertised as suitable for painting light rust in areas like the underside of the deck. In other areas my system now is to prime one or more times with Penetrol CIP. This is advertised as a penetrating primer, but only seems to be available in Australia. I topcoat with International Primocon which seems to be OK so far.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 00:56   #456

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Hi Matt, Grinding off rust is not a good idea as you will take too much metal with it. Also, the resultant surface is too shiny for the paint to key onto.
Take off any heavy rust with a needlegun or a wire brush on an angle grinder. Follow up with a handheld gritblaster (one that sucks from a bucket) and then prime.
Wear safety gear. It is all much easier than it sounds and steel is a great material if you avoid the temptation to take shortcuts.
Regards, Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 21:34   #457

Go steel and don't look back. I've owned everything but aluminum. Chineless, rolled Core-ten, 40+ years old, super strong and very fast. Just keep the bilge clean and dry and stay on top of anything that surfaces - easy. Bottom line though Supermonkey - get a boat and go sailing - don't spend your life on the forums dreaming of perfection......

Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 03:03   #458
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Thanks evanOR. SaltyMonkey hasn't given up on perfection though. He needs something that won't clash in colour or style with his new SSB / HAM radio.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 07:30   #459

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
Thanks for all the Ideas.
The boat is nothing but the steel hull and lead filled keel. It was buillt in 1989. It has been completly gutted, bead blasted and primed. The epoxy on the out side is very good in most places. But its been sitting on dry ground for several years. The hull was stacked full of lumber and trash (In New Hampshire). I cleaned it up, washed it out and put it next to my shop. (In Tennessee)
I have the origional drawings from Mr. Roberts. By email he has offered his help with the refit.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 08:45   #460

Not sure why my photo did not post early, but here she is.

Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 08:53   #461

Boat: a sailing boat
rust never sleeps

I have seen boats blasted then epoxied then going rusty when sailing. Bet the right route is to blast, then zinc it, then prime with epoxy. I think the zinc, if applied properly, is the way to go - just look at our anchors - and no epoxy on them, huh?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 09:10   #462

Boat: Roberts 38 steel
So SaltyMonkey .. what creek and what time frame were you in annapolis?

Miller
millstb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 09:46   #463
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
millstb - i was almost directly across US Naval academy and Annapolis - between chart house and the bay Mid 90's
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 10:06   #464

Boat: Freedom, Mull 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
Thanks for all the Ideas.
The boat is nothing but the steel hull and lead filled keel. It was buillt in 1989. It has been completly gutted, bead blasted and primed. The epoxy on the out side is very good in most places. But its been sitting on dry ground for several years. The hull was stacked full of lumber and trash (In New Hampshire). I cleaned it up, washed it out and put it next to my shop. (In Tennessee)
I have the origional drawings from Mr. Roberts. By email he has offered his help with the refit.
Where in East Tennessee are you? I am located in Huntsville, AL.
toodleoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 10:16   #465

Boat: Freedom, Mull 30
I used Carbomastic 15 (Carboline paint co.) 10 years ago as a topside primer and interior finish and it is holding up very well.
toodleoo is offline   Reply With Quote