Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-01-2012, 08:21   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Steel / Alu Pilothouse Boats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flemmingsveen View Post
Well if this boat is in very good condition...... Looks like a nice boat to cruise where i come from (norway)... or ANYWHERE

1995 LANDEDRAG STEEL WORLD CRUISER 45 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
I agree. Note the properly installed Aquadrive!

She's a beauty. I would want to look closely down the inside of every locker and floor, but that's a very good looking steel yacht at a manageable size.

Old 30-01-2012, 08:53   #17
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Its funny that people who dont own boats say they are looking for "aluminum and steel".

No offense to the OP but the fact that these are both metals doesnt make them any more alike than a carvel planked teak double ender and a kevlar hulled carbon masted maxi.

May i humbly suggest that you figure out what you are looking for and what matches your personality first and select a metal than.

As an owner of an aluminum boat i can tell you we have some amazing benefits but also some catestrophic issues and steel does as well but totally and completely different!

There are many threads you can view on this forum on the benefits of the various materials, but it is not that one is better than the lther as much as it is that one "suits" you more than the other based on your personality.

As far as environmental goes... what one doesnt consider with metal is what is called "externialities" which are the costs associated with a product that are not incorporated into the profit model such as environmental etc.

If you factor all impacts metal doesnt look so good and properly regulated plastics industry or sustainably harvested wood looks way better than metal.

Just two aluminum cents from a metal boat owner

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 09:31   #18

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronner View Post
Celestialsailor, I'm not really opposed to them as such. One point is that in a faroff dream, I'd like to cruise colder waters. Hence metal seems a good idea.
Another point is that aluminum, and to some degree steel, is a more environmental friendly material in the very long run.

But really, we might realistically end up with a glassfiber boat. As said, I really drool at the Nauticat 35.
...I truly see your points. I will tell you that I have built 2 steel boats and owned 5 F/G boats. I have seen many steel hulls with problems down the road. Some that had inadequate sand blasting and primer. Others that refused to use proper anti-corrosion protection and even one that had it's diesel heater blower grounded to the hull which caused havoc on the hull. Just speaking personally, I would only own another steel if it had never been in a marina. That seems to be the place most damage occurs. I might get a lot of flack for these statements but I don't care. I just want you to have all the information that you need when spending your life's savings on your dream. There was a gentleman in Halfmoon bay that took his F/G Freya up into the iceberg region of the Arctic without incident.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 09:36   #19

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

"Metal pilothouse" is a hard boat to buy in that size and price range. My wife and I recently completed ~2 years of figuring out how to build or buy one. We never saw more than a handful on the market at a time, and they were all very unique and different from each other.

So, given the rarity, I think it's best to:
- Look everywhere in the world (and be willing to buy there).
- Be flexible in other attributes.
- Consider being happy with fiberglass: there's a lot of very nice fiberglass pilothouse boats in that range (I like the Hans Christian pilothouses...)
- A catamaran is also much easier to find and buy.
Old 30-01-2012, 09:41   #20
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer
"Metal pilothouse" is a hard boat to buy in that size and price range. My wife and I recently completed ~2 years of figuring out how to build or buy one. We never saw more than a handful on the market at a time, and they were all very unique and different from each other.

So, given the rarity, I think it's best to:
- Look everywhere in the world (and be willing to buy there).
- Be flexible in other attributes.
- Consider being happy with fiberglass: there's a lot of very nice fiberglass pilothouse boats in that range (I like the Hans Christian pilothouses...)
- A catamaran is also much easier to find and buy.
Amen!

We spent over two years looking for our "french fantastic" aluminum boat and were considering 5 boats at the end with one in singapore and one in south africa. You need to consider travel costs if you are serious about aluminum.

We bought ours in SA and what a place to refit a boat, but that is another story.

...good place to build an aluminum boat as well...

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 09:57   #21

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
You need to consider travel costs if you are serious about aluminum.
Yes, ours is a third of the world away, and we paid a surveyor to take a few hundred photos of the boat before we flew out to see her.

I really like Cape Town, too-- Boat #1 was on the hard there for so long that it showed up on Google Earth...

Did you do the big interior refit in your photos there?
Old 30-01-2012, 10:12   #22

Have a look at Jongert, they have some nice models from the 1980's you may like.
Also, there is a Skarpsno 44 on yachtworld. It's priced higher than your range
but with todays market who knows.
Old 30-01-2012, 10:30   #23
abh

What advantage does aluminum have over fiberglass in colder waters? I understand steel in ice, but still can't see any yacht in the role of icebreakers. I would say go for this FG boat you like so much.
Old 30-01-2012, 12:33   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by abh
What advantage does aluminum have over fiberglass in colder waters? I understand steel in ice, but still can't see any yacht in the role of icebreakers. I would say go for this FG boat you like so much.
Sure. And don't forget that a lot of plastic boats are made of Kevlar or Twaron - should be similar to metal in impact resistance.
Old 30-01-2012, 17:51   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Waterline Yachts, in Sidney B.C. But I don't know if you will find one in your price range.
http://www.waterline-yachts.com/
Old 30-01-2012, 18:57   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Sure. And don't forget that a lot of plastic boats are made of Kevlar or Twaron - should be similar to metal in impact resistance.
Not a lot. And quite many of them are then 'kevlar energized' blah. I think more resistance but not nearly as good as metal.

b.
Old 31-01-2012, 07:34   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by abh View Post
Well, aluminium have a weakness for pointy ends. But generally, on impact, I have the impression that alu boats will bend, not crack (like fiberglass). But in terms of toughness, I guess steel is the "best".
Old 31-01-2012, 07:48   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Its funny that people who dont own boats say they are looking for "aluminum and steel".

No offense to the OP but the fact that these are both metals doesnt make them any more alike than a carvel planked teak double ender and a kevlar hulled carbon masted maxi.

May i humbly suggest that you figure out what you are looking for and what matches your personality first and select a metal than.

As an owner of an aluminum boat i can tell you we have some amazing benefits but also some catestrophic issues and steel does as well but totally and completely different!

There are many threads you can view on this forum on the benefits of the various materials, but it is not that one is better than the lther as much as it is that one "suits" you more than the other based on your personality.

As far as environmental goes... what one doesnt consider with metal is what is called "externialities" which are the costs associated with a product that are not incorporated into the profit model such as environmental etc.

If you factor all impacts metal doesnt look so good and properly regulated plastics industry or sustainably harvested wood looks way better than metal.

Just two aluminum cents from a metal boat owner
I'm aware that alu and steel isn't exactly two peas in a pod.

In terms of the boat we're starting to have some good idea of what we want. But that choice between alu/steel/grp is after all a pretty big deal, and the material will also be influential in the overall fit with indeed, our personalities (:

The enviromental thing is this: aluminium can be recycled. Forever. This is obviously in that very far off future when the boat is no longer worth repairing. I know that there are severe environmental damages associated with the making of aluminium (toxic waste etc.). However, without having researched this, I'm pretty sure that glassfiberproduction isn't necessary pretty either. And it's useless for anything after the boats life is over - some peope call glassfibre the asbestos of our time. But, do correct me if I'm wrong; I haven't done any serious research on this.

Oh. We like wood, but is seems like too much of an endless hassle.
Old 31-01-2012, 07:53   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
...I truly see your points. I will tell you that I have built 2 steel boats and owned 5 F/G boats. I have seen many steel hulls with problems down the road. Some that had inadequate sand blasting and primer. Others that refused to use proper anti-corrosion protection and even one that had it's diesel heater blower grounded to the hull which caused havoc on the hull. Just speaking personally, I would only own another steel if it had never been in a marina. That seems to be the place most damage occurs. I might get a lot of flack for these statements but I don't care. I just want you to have all the information that you need when spending your life's savings on your dream. There was a gentleman in Halfmoon bay that took his F/G Freya up into the iceberg region of the Arctic without incident.
I know. I'm a little nervous about this... And yeah, there's plenty of people in grp boats who even sail the antarctic. I work partime in a marine chandlery, and got to talk to a guy who have his nauticat 35 in svalbard. I think they have sturdy hulls...
Old 31-01-2012, 14:09   #30
abh

Fiberglass has low thermal conductivity, which is obviously quite an advantage in cold waters over aluminum. Pound for pound, the fiberglass is stronger than aluminum. In case of a serious collision with ice, event titanic didn't survive anyway.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: