Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2019, 13:26   #1

Boat: Tartan 40
Staysail on a 1988 Tartan 40

I have a 1988 Tartan 40. It has an inner forestay that connects to one of two padeyes on the foredeck. Questions: has anyone rigged a staysail to that inner forestay? What size sail should be used (e.g., 100%, 130%)? I do not have running backstays - do I need them? And what structural reinforcement should there be? Many thanks.
ob44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 14:14   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Staysail on a 1988 Tartan 40

Are you talking about the babystay which is a design feature or do you have a modified rig.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 14:45   #3

Not the baby stay. It is an inner forestry that connects to a padeye using a lever-activated connecting turnbuckle.
Old 20-03-2019, 08:43   #4

Does the staysail/inner forestay go to about 1/2 way between the spreaders and the masthead, or is the rig a double spreader? Actually the easiest thing to do is call the Tartan factory. That is one of the joys of owning a boat that the builder is still in business. Unless you are planning on a lot of passage making, you will probably not use a staysail much, but they are a good thing to have available. If you have a roller headsail, they are the perfect storm sail location and you dont have to be right at the bow to set it. The Tartan factory should be able to tell you if you need runners. Good luck with a nice boat. Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 04:49   #5

Thanks, Grant. It’s a double spreader rig and the inner forestay goes about 4/5 up the mast. I have a large (150) Genoa that gets overpowered. Rather than partially furl it, which brings the center of effort forward, I thought I could use a staysail. Most likely will use hanks. Good idea to call Tartan. I tried emailing but will try calling.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:02   #6

I realize this is a few months old. Did you ever get your answer from Tartan? I have T40 number 63 and I have the inner headstay as well. Mine is backed up in the v-berth with a cable and turnbuckle down to the stringers. I have a storm jib with hanks that I have never used. The previous owner told me he used it a couple of times, once in about 60 kts. off Cape Hatteras. I have runners, but I'm not sure where they should be rigged on deck. On big racing boats I've been on the runners were lead well aft and outboard to the toe rail or a padeye. I'm thinking with these the aft end of the Genoa track would be sufficient.

Mark DeDionisio
Tartan 40 Sister Moon
Oriental, NC
izzyforreal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail