Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-10-2014, 17:44   #16

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Re: Starter Sailboat?

After 20+ years chartering, crewing, and co-owning a Catalina 22 (<$5000). I made the move to my 1974 35ft center cockpit HR35 5 years ago. I was fearful 35ft was all I could handle solo, and for a couple years I was right.

So with lots of practice I've learned how my boat handles in different conditions, current, wind etc. I had close calls, minor scrapes and near misses even after years of sailing and motor boating. Dang thing still won't consistently go where I want in reverse I shudder to think what would have happened if I'd jumped straight into a large boat.

I did charter while owning my cheap small camper/day sailer. With each charter, I learned more about what I value.

My current 1974 boat is cheap enough that I can lose a couple bucks when upgrading and it won't break the bank.

__________________ Jim K.
jkindredpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 18:49   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Re: Starter Sailboat?

Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
<snip>What does matter is buying a boat that you can sell onward when you are ready to move up, sell quickly and without a big fiscal crisis. Until you have tried to sell a boat yourself you have no idea how hard it can be, so my advice is to look for a design that is locally popular, in fair supply numbers, and that you can buy at the low end of the price range for the type. <snip>
Great advice
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
<snip>It's a sad fact: recreational boats are not investments, but a pleasure that you pay for. And worth every penny that it costs!!!

Cheers to you both,

I paid equivalent of US$12k for my "starter" boat and have owned it for 8 years.

Running costs have been about $500/mo including maintenance, mooring and insurance.

If I sunk my boat in teh channel I would have gotten every penny of fun and value from it. If I sell it on for anything close to what I paid I am a very happy guy.

There aren't many land based hobies that are this cost effective. Go buy a family's worth of late model production dirt bikes, trailers etc. Operate them every weekend for 8 years and see what the residual value is...

Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

sail, sailboat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: