Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2011, 11:07   #1

Boat: Santana 2023 23.4
Standard vs Tall Rig

New to your site. Thanks for having me! I am fairly new to the boat ownership gig but have crewed for several years. Just bought my first boat in April of this year. It is a Santana 2023C water ballast boat. We mostly sail smaller lakes here in Idaho, but plan on trailering the boat here and there. I also belong to a local sailing association and we have 8-10 regattas per year. Nothing to serious, but I would like to have my boat perform well. So far I have added a traveler, boom vang, and I am getting ready to add an adjustable backstay. It is a fractional rig with a 27 foot mast, 9 foot boom. The boat came with an optional 30 foot mast and the racing version of this boat, the 2023r came stock with a 32 foot mast. My question is...is a taller mast going to give me any appreciable change in performance. Had the boat out this weekend in 15 mph winds with the main and 100% storm jib and still had some weather helm. I was about to make the big plunge and update to a taller mast, but is it worth the money?......Any thoughts out there?
idahoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 11:12   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Standard vs Tall Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoboater View Post
Had the boat out this weekend in 15 mph winds with the main and 100% storm jib and still had some weather helm. I was about to make the big plunge and update to a taller mast, but is it worth the money?......Any thoughts out there?
Hi and welcome to CF.

That is an odd combination in 15 mph winds. I would have thought full genoa and main touching on a first reef. So is it a 100% or storm jib, they are different.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 11:51   #3

Yeah, it's a 100%. It's the only front sail I have except for a genniker. I have been holding off until I determine whether I increase the mast size. Thanks for the correction.
Old 18-07-2011, 12:01   #4

I'd always opt for the taller mast. One can reef a tall rig...short rigs are always reefed. Pretty mountain lakes generally have light winds. If you are racing with other Santana 2023C's I'd go with what is common because that's more fun. That's a cool boat for lake camping.

What does 'some weather helm' mean? The tiller should be a few inches up to weather. Flatten sails, jib lead back and sheeted hard, lower traveler, ease the vang, slight luff in main, reduce heeling, ...etc. Transom hung rudders often don't balance well so it's more the tiller position than the force.

A 100% genoa doesn't sound like a storm jib? It wouldn't be uncommon to need a reef going to weather in 15kts.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 12:05   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day IB,

Only you can decide if it is worth the money! Yes, it will improve your sailing performance, especially in lighter winds... but you will be forced to reef earlier in stronger winds. It is a tradeoff that is influenced by the frequency of rapid changes in wind strength in your sailing area. If you get lots of ups and downs, the ground lost while reefing/unreefing will likely exceed that gained by better boat speed.

Another factor is the handicap system that you are racing under. Your rating may well change when you increase the mast height, and leave you in the same relative position fleetwise.

As for me, I have always favored a big rig. One can always reef down a big sail, but you can't un-reef up a small one!

Cheers,

Jim

Edit: looks like Daddle beat be to it!
Old 18-07-2011, 13:07   #6

I am leaning toward increasing the size of the mast. It would be nice if I could borrow one for a couple of weeks . Now is the time to do it since I need to replace my sails. At least I am dealing with a 30 ft mast and not a 60 ft mast. Should get out of it for under 2k.
Old 18-07-2011, 13:09   #7

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II

welcome to the Santana family! i have one as well, 2023c. apparently those boats dont make it to far from Cali because when people ask what boat it is they say seriously a Schock on the east coast?? its a great boat and im sure you will enjoy it! we keep ours wet for about 7 months out of the year. as far as the mast is concerned if you are only cruising i wouldnt worry too much about it . we have the standard mast and it gets plenty windy here in NJ so that is never a cause for concern. some modifications you might consider are doing away with the roller boom for one and there is a bunch of others i have done that ill be happy to respond too, just too much to list here. that being said about the reefing, since it was set to roll, there is no attachtment points for reefing lines on the boom, you will have to add cleats or cams, im sure reefing the way i did led to the demise of my old main. feel free to send a message my way ! ps, heres the old and new sail. also, there was some cracking around non structural points in the cabin that i adressed Schock about that apparently has only happened to me, looking to just be the white speckle spray on the interior, but something too watch out for.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photomain.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	29722

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=photo.jpg Views: 252 Size: 46.1 KB ID: 29723" style="margin: 2px" />
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 13:42   #8

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum

Taller rig has better upwind performance
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote