Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2016, 09:57   #1

Boat: Oceanis 40
Squeeky Mast troubleshooting

Hi there,

I have recently started anchoring on a full time basis. As such I have noticed a few squeeks and creeks as the boat rolls at anchor.

One that I am having trouble locating is somewhere on the mast or rigging.

It's a standard aluminium mast with two spreaders and we do NOT have in mast furling.

Any pointers where it might be coming from?

Also what should I use to kill the squeeks? I have PTFE spray and silicone spray and a few other oils and greases.

I have a tiny suspicion it might be the spreaders, where the blades touch the mast. But it's more of a guess than anything.

Cheers

Beneteau Oceanis 40 - 2008
Mallorca
AFKASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 10:02   #2

Re: Squeeky Mast troubleshooting

Oh and I have eliminated it being anything to do with the boom or boom vang or main sheet.

Mallorca
Old 23-06-2016, 10:04   #3

The mast...

Mallorca
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1466701432964.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	126748  
Old 23-06-2016, 10:04   #4

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

keel or deck step??
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 10:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
keel or deck step??
Deck stepped.

Mallorca
Old 23-06-2016, 10:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFKASAP View Post
Deck stepped.

Mallorca
Yep I figurate, could be the blocks at the mainsheet at the boom, try to tight hard the boom or better drop it in the deck, release the toping lift ...
I guess your rigging is tuned properly?
The idea is to isolate everything apart from the mast, I mean anything susceptible to move or shake when the boat roll at anchor.... I suspect the boom...
Old 23-06-2016, 10:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Yep I figurate, could be the blocks at the mainsheet at the boom, try to tight hard the boom or better drop it in the deck, release the toping lift ...
I guess your rigging is tuned properly?
The idea is to isolate everything apart from the mast, I mean anything susceptible to move or shake when the boat roll at anchor.... I suspect the boom...
Hi Neil, I have already isolated the boom from the equation. I have go so far as to remove the mainsheet and I have lubricated the goose neck and moved it back and forth and it is silent.

Mallorca
Old 23-06-2016, 10:25   #8

Boat: Bristol 27

Sounds like loose rigging.

Did you or someone else loosen the rigging for storage and forget to retighten/retune?

Have you added a bit of prebend to keep pressure on the mast?
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 10:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Sounds like loose rigging.

Did you or someone else loosen the rigging for storage and forget to retighten/retune?

Have you added a bit of prebend to keep pressure on the mast?
Hi there, the mast was taken down about a month ago. Before it was taken down the turnbuckles were all marked with tape and retightened to the same position. I guess maybe something was not out back as it was.

Now that you mention it, I don't notice much backward bend in the mast. Also the squeeking seems to be more when the boat rocks front to back rather than side to side....

Mallorca
Old 23-06-2016, 13:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFKASAP View Post
Hi there, the mast was taken down about a month ago. Before it was taken down the turnbuckles were all marked with tape and retightened to the same position. I guess maybe something was not out back as it was.

Now that you mention it, I don't notice much backward bend in the mast. Also the squeeking seems to be more when the boat rocks front to back rather than side to side....

Mallorca
Lowers, guess the lowers are out of tune or need a couple of turns in the screw , since you have backsweep spreaders I guess , the uppers make a prebend , your mast have by nature a light banana form with the rigging tuned , if is more noticeable back and forth then the lowers are loose , expect some mast pumping in the rolls..
Old 23-06-2016, 14:38   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

AFKASAP,

CF member "donradcliffe" circumnavigated in a Beneteau some years back; he, too, is knowledgeable about tuning the mast. You might send him a PM.

Ann
Old 23-06-2016, 14:46   #12

Boat: Able 50

You do need a little tension in the backstay when anchored. It should be just enough to steady the rig. All the halyards should be led forward and tensioned. It might also be the spinnaker pole car. Maybe you can bind it to the mast with some tape.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 00:42   #13

decks are great amplifiers especially when trying to sleep. Sounds more like something to do with returning the mast to previous settings. Sometimes when our boat is rolling, cables slap around inside the mast. Can't do a thing about it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 01:15   #14

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

An "easy" way to locate the problem is by using a parabolic mic/"rifle mic". So that your listening is very directional, as well as greatly amplified. Allowing you to locate the noise's source.
Sometimes, if your mechanic trusts you, you can borrow his for a 6-pack. As some professional wrench turners use them to isolate engine problems in the same way. In addition to ruling out possible causes of an abberant sound, from a pre-made checklist.

As to the source, my first thoughts were also; the boom/gooseneck, vang, mainsheet, backstay, running rigging, sheaves, deck blocks (especially halyards), deck chocks (not in your case), mast step, compression post (top & bottom end).
And it can't hurt things to go up your rig & inspect things. That's just basic regular maintenance, regardless. That, & while you're up there, lube everything, of course.
Or, better; progressively lube things, one after another, until the noise vanishes. That way you'll know what it's source was/is, & can keep an eye on it.

I hate to bring it up, but one other likely candidate, is a bulkhead come adrift, or in the process of doing so. Whether it's tabbed, or bonded. And the "coming adrift" can even be internal, as in, in between the layers in the plywood.
They make Exactly that noise, when lightly loaded, & being cycled at anchor, or similar.

And, not to be flippant, but it's a sailboat, so such noises are pretty much normal. At least as long as nothing's being sujected to accelerated wear, & that that's what's creating the noise. Which is yet another reason to go aloft & inspect everything.
Take your camera with, & snap a few pics of every fitting, from various angles. That way, you can put them on the laptop/big screen later on, & really inspect things... from a more comfortable locale than the bosun's chair. As well as running the pics by someone else, needs be. Be they other sailors, or a rigger or three.

Also, your phone, or a tape recorder is invaluable while inspecting things, as it allows you to "take notes" when you're up there/working on a project. As well as getting you to think aloud, as you denote everything. Which engages a different part of your brain than simply thinking things through in your head does. In the exact manner as does proof reading a speech aloud. So as to better help you to problem solve; on the spot, & later, when at sea level.

BTW, do you tune your rig with; a Loos gauge, by ear, or 'other'? And how tight do you keep things? Plus, have you pulled it & fully stripped it down to inspect everything since you bought her, or recently?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 01:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
An "easy" way to locate the problem is by using a parabolic mic/"rifle mic". So that your listening is very directional, as well as greatly amplified. Allowing you to locate the noise's source.
Sometimes, if your mechanic trusts you, you can borrow his for a 6-pack. As some professional wrench turners use them to isolate engine problems in the same way. In addition to ruling out possible causes of an abberant sound, from a pre-made checklist.

As to the source, my first thoughts were also; the boom/gooseneck, vang, mainsheet, backstay, running rigging, sheaves, deck blocks (especially halyards), deck chocks (not in your case), mast step, compression post (top & bottom end).
And it can't hurt things to go up your rig & inspect things. That's just basic regular maintenance, regardless. That, & while you're up there, lube everything, of course.
Or, better; progressively lube things, one after another, until the noise vanishes. That way you'll know what it's source was/is, & can keep an eye on it.

I hate to bring it up, but one other likely candidate, is a bulkhead come adrift, or in the process of doing so. Whether it's tabbed, or bonded. And the "coming adrift" can even be internal, as in, in between the layers in the plywood.
They make Exactly that noise, when lightly loaded, & being cycled at anchor, or similar.

And, not to be flippant, but it's a sailboat, so such noises are pretty much normal. At least as long as nothing's being sujected to accelerated wear, & that that's what's creating the noise. Which is yet another reason to go aloft & inspect everything.
Take your camera with, & snap a few pics of every fitting, from various angles. That way, you can put them on the laptop/big screen later on, & really inspect things... from a more comfortable locale than the bosun's chair. As well as running the pics by someone else, needs be. Be they other sailors, or a rigger or three.

Also, your phone, or a tape recorder is invaluable while inspecting things, as it allows you to "take notes" when you're up there/working on a project. As well as getting you to think aloud, as you denote everything. Which engages a different part of your brain than simply thinking things through in your head does. In the exact manner as does proof reading a speech aloud. So as to better help you to problem solve; on the spot, & later, when at sea level.

BTW, do you tune your rig with; a Loos gauge, by ear, or 'other'? And how tight do you keep things? Plus, have you pulled it & fully stripped it down to inspect everything since you bought her, or recently?
Hi Uncivilised, I really appreciate the time you took to reply to my post.

So to answer some of your questions, I did not tune the rigging. It is as it was when we purchased her. The mast was down a month ago for transport. I spent 2 full days inspecting and cleaning the mast and rigging before it went back up. (Everything was marked before taking the mast down and put back together on the marks).

I am quite sure the noise is coming from somewhere above the boom. I don't have any squeeks below deck (which is lovely).

I would say my rigging is on the looser side of tight.

I cannot get much work done here in Mallorca, as everyone is fully booked and VERY expensive. Just one night in a marina is about 120 EUR (for mono hull up to 12m). I will have the rigging tuned proffesionaly when I am out of Mallorca next month or so.

I may tighten the back stays a bit as there is almost no rake in the mast.

Mallorca

Tags
mast