Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2010, 08:38   #1

Spinnaker Rigging on C&C 27

I purchased a C&C 27 MKIII late last season. Have not sailed it yet.

Came with a D.R.S, which I understand is a Drifter Reaching Spinnaker? or an asymmetrical Spinnaker. Have not hoisted it since I have not as I said sailed the boat yet.

It came with a spinnaker pole. Has a Mast Track as well as a seperate Pad Eye mounted on Mast. There is also a block on the deck about 3 feet back from furling jib.

I'm not sure what the pad eye or block is for or the spinnaker pole since I thought with an asymmetrical a pole is not required.

any comments on how you think all these would be used? link to pics/instructions?
outdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 12:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The block might be for the spinnaker pole downhaul, and the padeye might be used to secure the halyard when not in use.
You might find expert advice at the C&C27 Association
C&C 27 Assoc – Evolution
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C&C27-spin.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	14560  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 12:25   #3

I've tried the C&C 27 Association. And though it has plenty of useful info, it lacks some of the more detailed pics and descriptions. As well at times the forum does not get good response
Old 30-03-2010, 06:00   #4

Boat: Maine Cat 41
The DRS doesn't use the pole at all. You use it like a genoa. The real difference in rigging it v. a genny is the tack. You should have a snatch block that attaches onto the bow in some way so you can run the tack line through the block and back to a winch.

The pole, track etc is for a symmetrical spin. IIRC, the pad eye on the mast is to store the pole on the mast. The block on the deck is for the spin pole downhaul (as Gord said).

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 07:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGAO View Post
The DRS doesn't use the pole at all. You use it like a genoa. The real difference in rigging it v. a genny is the tack. You should have a snatch block that attaches onto the bow in some way so you can run the tack line through the block and back to a winch.

The pole, track etc is for a symmetrical spin. IIRC, the pad eye on the mast is to store the pole on the mast. The block on the deck is for the spin pole downhaul (as Gord said).

Fair Winds,
Mike
But apparently the previous owner used a spinnaker pole with the D.R.S. ? Perhaps for Deep Downwind? As well the pole is mounted on the deck.

Could the Padeye simply be for connecting the Spinnaker Haylard to?

The Block on the deck back from the forestay, would that be used for either the Pole Downhaul if used or to run a line from the tack as you said back to cockpit to adj how far up the furled jib the sail will go( assuming using some type of nylon balls)?

I wish there were more detail pics of various ways to rig. Everything I see for Asymmetrical does not show use of Pole, yet I do read some people do use them. I don't believe previous owner had topping lift etc.. but he did use the pole with Asymmetrical, so perhaps I will have to see once I get it out on the water
Old 30-03-2010, 08:05   #6

Certainly you could use the pole for sailing deeper and projecting the luff of the DRS out from the shadow of the main, but it would then be a real pain to gybe the thing. Thinking about it though, maybe the PO used the pole like a bowsprit with the guy line pulling the pole just off the furled jib.

Yes, the mast padeye could be for the halyard. On our boat, we used it to secure the topping lift when not in use.

The deck block is really only for the pole downhaul. Using it for the tack line is just going to create problems with projecting the DRS luff in front of the jib. Have you looked into the "Tacker" from ATN?

Fair Winds,
Mike
Old 30-03-2010, 08:10   #7

No I have not seen those pics. Thanks. Every bit helps (or confuses) not sure which.
Old 30-03-2010, 08:28   #8

You might also try the C&C Photo Album. There's lots of C&C vets on there. I think there's a picture of a 27 flying a DRS (asymm), but probably not enough detail for you.

Fair Winds,
Mike
Old 30-03-2010, 10:14   #9

It is fairly common to use a pole with an asymetric spinnaker on race boats.

I'll try to describe it here. If you already know how a symetrical spinnaker is rigged, then that will help.

A) asymetrical spinnaker, without a pole, has

1) a tack line attached forward of the forestay.
2) two sheets from the sail's clew to the aft quarters of the boat.

Trim up the sail just like this, then proceed, with caution :-)

B) now to add the pole, so you can run deeper downwind

3) rig a topping lift, use a jib halyard if you don't have a dedicated topper.

4) run guys from blocks on the widest part of the rail to the tack of the spinnaker.

5) your tack line must be adjustable, preferably from the cockpit.
The tack does not ride on the jib/forestay.

6) the guy on the windward side, will go through the spinnaker pole outer jaw.

Now you are ready to transfer the load on the tack line to the guy.

Start by taking up tension in the guy.
Ease ( not release ) the tack line as the load comes on the guy.
This will move the tack of the spin aft and outboard. The guy holds the sail back and the tack line acts as a downhaul and keeps the pole down.

It's actually easier than is sounds and is easier that a conventional spinnaker. The key is that you are transferring the sail's tack between the tack line and the guy. When the guy is slack and all of the load is on the tack line, then is works just like a cruising spinnaker.

To gybe:
1) transfer the load from the guy to the tack line
the guy will end up completer slack.

2) gybe just like a cruising spinnaker, the pole is doing nothing.

3) move the pole to the new windward side, then transfer load onto the new guy.

Easy, right ? Yes, it really needs a diagram.
zydecotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 03:34   #10

The Padeye on my mast is above the spreaders. So I'm really unclear on what it would be used for

zydecotoad thanks for the info, yes a picture would be very useful since Im not sure I understand the guy lines vs the tack lines

The spinnaker pole does not have an attachment for a top lift

Tags
c&c, rigging, spinnaker