Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2016, 09:42   #1

Speed Seal. How to order?

Hi, everybody!!

Can anybody tell me something about Speed Seal?

Welcome to Speedseal

I'm thinking to install it on my Volvo Penta D1-30 (b), but I've got some doubts, because I'm not sure that it fits perfectly on my sea water pump and it generates leaks. Does anyone have experience about this gadget?

In case I finally order one of this gadgets...¿What information the seller needs in order to deliver me the right piece? There is a reference number on the cover of the pump that I've got at present. Is it enough to give the engine model to the seller? Do they need this reference number?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Regards
Old 23-03-2016, 10:52   #2

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: Speed Seal. How to order?

I had one on my Ford Lehman. Many engines use "standard" water pumps from Jabsco, Sherwood, etc. You should check to see if it is one of those. My speed seal fit perfectly. I was doubtful when I got it because the o-ring gasket was so skinny (small diameter) but it worked great for the 8-9 years I had it on the boat before selling it. I did hav a spare o-ring but never needed it. I did keep it lightly lubed with silicone grease like I did most o-rings on the boat.

It came in handy all the time when servicing the pump but especially so if the impeller failed while underway and I was in a hurry. I also had a couple spare thumb screws for it too, in case I lost one in the bilge. But you don't have to remove all the screws to get the top plate off and no tools required for that.

I am going to get one for my current engine as well.

I did have a scary passage between Vanuatu in a horrible ten day passage with high winds on the nose and bad seas. I had to change the impeller early on the passage. I was getting seasick in the engine room so was not at my best. I did not seat the gasket right, I think by not cleaning the housing and plate surfaces before I put it on. I had a small leak for three days that I didn't know was from the pump. And the primary bilge pump died. The big backup bilge pump only had a manual switch, not a float switch and enough water was coming in that I had to run the pump for a few minutes every 15 minutes so whoever was on watch had a timer to do that as the high water alarm was nasty loud. I thought that a new 1" thru-hull I had replaced before was leaking. In the lumpy seas and my seasickness I couldn't tell. It was wet around the t-hull from the lurching of the boat. I was sick to my stomach thinking we were in big trouble if I couldn't fix that. Finally I figured it out. I cleaned the plate, o-ring, and housing and it didn't leak after that. Very important to clean it well as the thin o-ring would not compensate for a bad surface.

I recommend the Speed Seal. Get the x-ref for your pump and I bet it is a standard model that you will be able to get the right one. Double check with the vendor in England too. I know that many Volvo motors have these pumps, i.e. they are not some model that only fits your motor.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 10:54   #3

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Select either Speedseal Life or Speedseal then follow the bouncing ball... :-)

The SpeedSeal Life has been on my last 2 boats. Works well.

GL and welcome here.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 10:58   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

The reference number from the pump cover is good for them.
Drop them an email with the ref number, and ask them to check compatibility.
If available, go for the Speedseal life.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 14:11   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

another happy user here... but order some spare o-rings! I have not been able to source replacements here in Oz.

Jim
Old 23-03-2016, 20:50   #6

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I have the Speedseal life on my Yanmar 3GM30F and my 5 KW Northern Lights. I am very pleased after 5 years of use. My impellers are lasting longer and less wear. Easy to access the impellers and the Life model has a disc that spins with the impeller against the outside cover.

Thy claim they will run dry for 10 minutes and they are correct! I changed my impeller on the generator once and forgot to reopen the thru hull. Ran 10 minutes, then quit. Easiest impeller I ever removed since blades were dust! Smelled like burnt rubber for a while though!

Call,their number in England and speak to them. You can call on skype for pennies.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 21:26   #7

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Another satisfied user.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 23:20   #8

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

Jim

if you contact Marine Energy Systems - Home - Company history & activities they have speed seal parts. They are located in Brisbane and Gold Coast
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 01:51   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
Jim

if you contact Marine Energy Systems - Home - Company history & activities they have speed seal parts. They are located in Brisbane and Gold Coast
Thanks very much for that! I had no idea that there was any presence in Oz. I'll get onto them.

Jim
Old 24-03-2016, 08:35   #10

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Welcome to Speedseal Contact us
Old 24-03-2016, 11:07   #11

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill24 View Post
Hi, everybody!!

Can anybody tell me something about Speed Seal?

Welcome to Speedseal

I'm thinking to install it on my Volvo Penta D1-30 (b), but I've got some doubts, because I'm not sure that it fits perfectly on my sea water pump and it generates leaks. Does anyone have experience about this gadget?

In case I finally order one of this gadgets...¿What information the seller needs in order to deliver me the right piece? There is a reference number on the cover of the pump that I've got at present. Is it enough to give the engine model to the seller? Do they need this reference number?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Regards
The old model Speedseal works very well. But like other impellor pumps, there is some wear at the cover.

Now they have a new model with thin teflon sheets at both sides to reduces friction and wear. You can replace these sheets.

And don't forget to take some spare o-rings with the set. I also have some spare bolts, because of my deep bilge.

Recommended.

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 15:06   #12

Boat: 1951 Alan Payne 28ft sloop

Speed seal can also be purchased in Oz from A Better Way To Go who are in Richmond in Melbourne. WATERLESS COMPOST TOILETS - A Better Way To Go.
Mossy Man
Mossy Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 01:16   #13

Thank you to everybody!!

I'll go for it. And, although the model "life" is a bit more expensive than the basic model, I think it's worth it

Last summer I had a failure in the the cooling system, while motor sailing. One of the blade of the impeller had broken. And replacing it on the sea was "like a toothache" . From then, I've got on my mind to find something like this gadget, or similar.

Cheers!!
Old 25-03-2016, 02:09   #14

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

I have had the Speedseal "teflon disk" model in service on my VP2003 for 6 seasons-approximately 300 engine hrs.
It is disassembled/reassembled each Spring & Fall-winterizing & back in service. It probably has been disass. / reass. another dozen times during service for various reasons-none caused by the Speedseal.
It has been run dry 6-8 times for 30seconds to 2 minutes due to various reasons-none caused by Speedseal.
It has performed flawlessly & I don't think I have had to change impeller. (maybe once-due to impeller itself cracking,or my OCD) Nothing to do with Speedseal.

Spares-I purchased all 3 items-Teflon disk,O-rings & spare Knurled nuts.
So far-I don't recall using any of these spares,BUT
My RW pump is very accessible, so dropping a nut,disk or even O-ring is easily retrievable & I haven't had to do an impeller change at sea.
What I'm recommending is that you purchase all three spares "kits"'mainly due to "dropsy" under poor conditions or inaccessible pump rather than fear of a component wearing out.

Hope this helps
Cheers/ Len
Old 06-07-2018, 12:38   #15

Boat: Allures 44

This seemed an appropriate thread to post this although a bit old.
I've noticed that Speedseal have closed the business (due to continued illness). This is a great shame as a fantastic product is no longer available. Not sure why they didn't sell the business and also not sure if they have any patents etc. that would stop someone else from making a similar product.

Does anyone perhaps know more on this and/or know if there is another option for these products? Or perhaps suppliers with stock. My one is for the Volvo D2-55.

My specific problem is that my existing Speedseal life cover has started wearing at the inner pin and the metal wear plate, causing wear on the recessed area of the plate, going a bit of an oblong shape. It's still working fine but might ultimately be a problem. Anyone else had similar issues? Despite this issue I still love the product and have had 4 years of good use out of it. I would happily spend the money to replace with exactly the same if I could source it.
savagebee is offline   Reply With Quote