Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2014, 09:26   #1

Southern Cross 31 or Bayfield 29

Okay super sorry to be asking a question that is covered constantly but I'm going to anyways...

First post been trolling. I sailed when I was younger and enjoyed it but never sunk my teeth and went all out. That was my teenage years now I'm 26 and moving. Currently have a house in Baton Rouge but took a job out in Texas close to the Kemah area. Originally planned on renting then saw the many sailboats that had me wanting to get one and the excuse to get one.

What I want it for: I plan on living on it for the next 8-18 months or longer depending on how I enjoy it. Space really isn't a concern I lived in a 1 bedroom shack that wasn't but 90 square foot for years. I'm looking for something to keep for a long time which is why I'm looking at something of their caliber. I want something that could take me anywhere and as safely as possible yet retain value as well possibly adding equity.

The SailBoats: the reason I'm saying these two is because they're both the same price and in about the same shape for what I've found.

What I'm asking: which is better? Better all around? Which would you choose of the two and why? Which would retain the value better?
FlynMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 12:11   #2

Boat: Norsea 27
Re: Southern Cross 31 or Bayfield 29

Just my preference but I like the Southern Cross. I've always thought it to be stout cruiser you'd want for going anywhere. Full keel is not the speediest but comfy. Compare the ports, I'm not sure about the boats you are considering but of the ones I recall the Southern were heavy bronze. I'm also thinking it should retain it's value better.
rocksculpter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 12:16   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Southern Cross 31 or Bayfield 29

Another vote for the SC..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 12:45   #4

Bayfield is a decent boat for local cruising and has been taken offshore from time to time but they are pretty light duty compared to a Southern Cross if you want to do some bluewater sailing.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 13:15   #5

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

If they truly are both in similar condition and price, definitely the Southern Cross. Either the SC is cheap or the Bayfield is overpriced. I have a Bayfield 32, and although it's a nice comfortable boat for local / coastal cruising, it's not the boat the SC is. That said, depending on what your plans are, you *might* be more comfortable on the Bayfield. The Bayfield *feels* big below because there is no v-berth. But at the same price, I'd choose the SC
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 13:25   #6

Okay more information, the SC's Engine is currently out of the boat with its replacement sitting beside it while the Bayfield is a turn key. Now me personally from the search I've done I prefer the SC and actually thought the debate wouldn't be as one sided so far as it has been.
Old 24-04-2014, 13:29   #7

If the price includes the new engine installed (and running), what's the question?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 13:33   #8

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Is the replacement engine the same exact make and model and thus a straight forward repower? If so, that's a not too big a job. Is the replacement engine new? If it's different, plan on a pretty big job for the repower. Having done a repower (on the Bayfield), it's amazing how much grief the smallest details can cause.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 13:34   #9

Lol I wish it was installed.. The price includes the engine but I would have to install which isn't necessarily the issue honestly as me and my father could do that.
Old 24-04-2014, 17:19   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Another vote for the SC. We know a lady who circumnavigated one, singlehanded. Says a lot for ease of handling, durability of boat, and she's a gutsy woman, too.

Ann
Old 24-04-2014, 18:05   #11

Boat: Stevens 47

Hi Flynmoto:

I own a 1985 Bayfield cutter rig....I have not ever been on a SC31.

I can tell you this about the Bayfield...you aren't going to win any races, but when the going gets rough, she loves it. A huge head forward, with a nice sized wet locker behind the chain locker but ahead of the head. A comfy double berth starboard, single to port, and a quarter berth each side. A very workable galley, ours has an icebox and two burner stove, nothing fancy, small sink. A beefy gal, she weighs in at 8500 lbs. The 2 cyl. yanmar 2GM does a decent job, and is very frugal, sipping fuel. I have sailed her only on the Great Lakes, not on the salt. She is bouncy at anchor, and the cockpit is on the small side.

But, for all she lacks, she is a real goer. Judging from all the comments above, it appears the SC31 is a hands down winner...but do not be too quick to judge the Bayfield 29. I have kept full cloth up in +25 knot, and gusting winds...a handful for sure, but she just kept running(I was chasing my buddy boat, a tartan 34C...no hope catching that)

So, I cannot really cast a vote, as I have not sailed the SC31...but she sure looks sweet!

Good luck in your decision! That is the fun part.

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 05:34   #12

I had to ask or throw another into the mix but how how do you guys feel on the Seawind II Sloop?
Old 25-04-2014, 05:50   #13

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlynMoto View Post
I had to ask or throw another into the mix but how how do you guys feel on the Seawind II Sloop?

Seeing as I own the ketch version (I am biased) I think it's a great boat. I've never sailed the cutter version, but it must sail to weather better than the ketch. As far as livability it's a whole lot roomier than either of the prior boats.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 07:07   #14

Another point..Bayfields were always measured long, the 25 was actually a 23 and the 32 actually a 30 so it is smaller by quite a bit.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 18:16   #15

Boat: CD25

I admire your 3 choices
If your main interest is living on board and just day sailing I would go for the one with the most upgrades.
All are sweet boats if they pass a survey.
Looking forward on your choice
Pf
Peter1949 is offline   Reply With Quote