Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2008, 23:53   #1

Boat: Endurance 35 ADDICTION
Southerly Yachts

Hi we are considering purchasing a Southerly 101
does anyone have any experience with these yachts The Good The Bad and The Ugly? on performance and maintenance as well as cruising In
ozboatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 01:22   #2

Nope, but I started a similar thread a while back. Been doing tons of research on them and I love their entire line of yachts!! Very well made and laid out!! They are definitely on my very short list of yachts to get..
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 02:32   #3

Boat: Southerly UK 37ft
we had a Southerly 115 for 20 years. sold her last month. Good points are- we could enter shalow fishing harbours, rivers, and ols ports along any coast. we loved the boat. Bad points are , slow when under sail, and every 8 years we had to drop the keel..not easy.

if you want more info
feel free migot1@012.net.il

Mike
migot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 04:08   #4

When you say drop the keel, you mean a total separation for servicing?? And what kind of servicing was needed?? And what was the average cost of this service?? Also, any other bad points?? I still love their line of yachts.
Old 29-09-2008, 05:29   #5

youhave to drop the keel, sandblast it, epoxy paint it, put new plastic spacers and special new cevlar pennants....it cost us 3200 us dollars each time- including lifting out and back. it took us 6 days...and it is hard work. the lifting crain had to come over 4 times-as the boat has to be totally lifted to leave the keel on the hard, and back again.

she is a slow boat, but when the wind pickes up above 20 kn she is full of life, the accomodation is excellent, engine is too small for this boat- we had a larger 40 hp Yanmar 3JH3E fixed on board-made a whole difference. running down the wind she goes sideways 20 deg...swaying.

we loved the boat. we made a 4000 mile trip from England to Israel... visited 79 ports on the way, took 5 months...we got into shalow old ports, rivers and lagoons. all in all she is a special boat
Mike
Old 29-09-2008, 05:36   #6

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
Sounds like you loved the boat. Dropping the keel sounds like an extreme sort of maitenance to me. Are all their boats set up to require this servicing?
Fair winds
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 05:45   #7

all these boats must go through this treatment every 8 years, the keel is made of cast iron , and no paint will hold on for so long . the keel will begine to move and bang sideways...not a nice feeling, and the cevlar-pannents held on just so long. there is a SOUTHERLY OWNERS ASSOCIATION in ENGLAND-they have a lot of stuf regarding this maintenance. also JOHN WHARN at NORTHSHORE UK allways helped us with kind advice, and fast delivery of spare parts...bless him! you can reach him via internet-try NORTHSORE UK.
MIKE

Southerly Owners Association:
http://www.soa-online.org.uk/
Old 29-09-2008, 07:46   #8

Why did you sell this boat, if I may ask?? Sounds great and too bad you just sold it as we were in the market to get a southerly. Did you upgrade to another boat or just went back on land?? Just curious. Thanks again for sharing!!
Old 29-09-2008, 07:52   #9

I am 72, My wife went through an eye operation...it was not successful...she begged me to sell the boat, and be at her side,,,we have been married for 50 years...I said OK. she was always on my side when I needed her...
Old 29-09-2008, 08:04   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Mike:
I’m very sorry to learn of your wife’s unsuccessful eye surgery.
I’m glad to know you got the chance to sail England to Israel (& more over 20 years), prior to selling your boat.
Best regards,
Gord

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 02:59   #11

Boat: Endurance 35 ADDICTION
Thanks a lot guys
we have brought an endurance 35
ozboatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 07:07   #12

Boat: Bristol 38.8
I am also very interested in a Southerly-- specifically the 110 designed by Ron Holland. Any comments about the 110 would be appreciated. I'm aware of the periodic maintenance needed on the swing keel and keelbox. But what about overall build quality? Are the hull throughs bronze or marelon? What about the other components?

I'm told by the Southerly sales people that the boat points extremely well with the keel down. Is this true?

What will happen if one or both rudders are disabled? Can it accomodate an emergency rudder?

Lastly, why does Southerly recommend a bow thruster on a 35 ft boat? I've read about the lack of propwash with the twin rudders, but what does that mean as a practical matter? If you are backing up, wont the stern go in the direction in which the rudders are pointed?

I've asked the salespeople for answers to these and other questions, but have not yet received a reply.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 18:34   #13

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
snip

Lastly, why does Southerly recommend a bow thruster on a 35 ft boat? I've read about the lack of prop-wash with the twin rudders, but what does that mean as a practical matter? If you are backing up, wont the stern go in the direction in which the rudders are pointed?

I've asked the salespeople for answers to these and other questions, but have not yet received a reply.
Think about the way you maneuver your boat at slow speed. If you don't have prop wash on the rudders, you can't turn the boat in any manner without forward or reverse motion through the water. Most boat don't handle well in reverse, and if you can't give a little burst of forward engine thrust against a rudder to turn, bow thruster is the easy fix. BTW a bow thruster is great to have.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 14:40   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27
Our local boatbuilder/boatyard bought one a couple of years ago, he is a really experienced guy and builds boats for a living, I don't think you could get a better endorsement? He likes the lift keel for the french canals and other shoal areas.
Old 25-03-2010, 16:12   #15

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Well, alot of people have good things to say about them, even the Southerly salespeople LOL. But I'd love a 110 owner to answer some specific questions. Are the components top of the line? What about an emergency rudder with those twin rudders? What kinds of hull throughs and seacocks are used? What about sailing characteristics?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote