Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2010, 18:36   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Well, alot of people have good things to say about them, even the Southerly salespeople LOL. But I'd love a 110 owner to answer some specific questions. Are the components top of the line? What about an emergency rudder with those twin rudders? What kinds of hull throughs and seacocks are used? What about sailing characteristics?

Reach out to Paul & Sheryl Shard. They are onto their second Southerly and I believe they are very happy with it. They respond to emails, so I suspect if you pose questions, you'll get answers. Their website is: Distant Shores
danielgoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 18:44   #17

Boat: Bristol 38.8
I've viewed their videos on the web. Their Southerly 42RST is for sale in MD. They did not own a 110.

I regard them as an extension of the Southerly sales force.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 19:02   #18

Quote:
I regard them as an extension of the Southerly sales force.
Huh??? They are just owners who are very pleased. What's your basis for concluding that they are not sincere in their views?
Old 25-03-2010, 19:05   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
Huh??? They are just owners who are very pleased. What's your basis for concluding that they are not sincere in their views?
Well, their videos are plastered all over the Southerly website. Who knows?

I guess I'd like a second opinion (and a third). We're talking about a $300K investment (in the 110).
Old 25-03-2010, 19:15   #20

Quote:
Well, their videos are plastered all over the Southerly website. Who knows?

I guess I'd like a second opinion (and a third). We're talking about a $300K investment (in the 110).
I think it just happens to be that they are famous, well-regarded, and professional movie makers. Accordingly, Southerly is taking the most advantage of the situation. I wouldn't make the leap that the Shards are in cahoots with Southerly in any way. Like I said, email them (you can do so from their site) and they'll respond with their thoughts on Southerlys. You are right that they don't have a 110, but they probably have some good insights into the company that you can extrapolate.
Old 25-03-2010, 20:33   #21

I'll take your word for it that the Shards are objective. The fact remains that I've listened to what they have to say about their particular Southerly, and I'd still like an unbiased second opinion (and third etc.). I'd also like some specific feedback on the 110.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:53   #22

Boat: Southerly 110 36'
Re: Southerly Yachts

We have recently purchased a 2006 S110, and first impressions are very positive. Everything seems to better screwed together than a 'production' yatch, and condidering that she doesn't have a very big rig, she can certainly put on a fair turn of speed ( not a round the cans racer though ). The Spectra pennant that connects the keel to the hydraulics should be replaced every 5 years according to Northshore - we had ours replaced for peace of mind before delivery - this is a 'serious' piece of string. The boat is very stiff, and holds up to her sail extremely well, she also has a nice easy motion. I will report back on progress over the next year, as we will hopefully be putting quite a few miles under her keel on a round UK circumnavigation.
rob_heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:17   #23

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
I'll take your word for it that the Shards are objective. The fact remains that I've listened to what they have to say about their particular Southerly, and I'd still like an unbiased second opinion (and third etc.). I'd also like some specific feedback on the 110.
We looked into the Southerly's after seeing one of the yachts at the boat show">Miami Boat Show a few years ago. Their is a Southerly Owners Association and the folks I corresponded with were very candid, despite the fact that Southerly was/is reasonably involved with the group. You might check that out.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:50   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, rob_heath.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:07   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by migot1 View Post
I am 72, My wife went through an eye operation...it was not successful...she begged me to sell the boat, and be at her side,,,we have been married for 50 years...I said OK. she was always on my side when I needed her...
It doesn't get any better than this....I am so impressed with your selflessness migot!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 19:14   #26
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

I had a ride on a Southerly. smooth with the keel all the way down. I hope for good things for the brand now that Discovery will handle the business and sales end.
Old 26-06-2017, 01:47   #27

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
Like I said, email them (you can do so from their site) and they'll respond with their thoughts on Southerlys.
The Shards will be at the Annapolis Boat Show this year. They are speaking at the Sail Magazine seminars, I believe about the Bahamas. They are very approachable and I'm sure would be happy to share their perspective on the 110 if you plan to be in Annapolis.

Oops. You're in Australia. That probably won't help.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote