Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2019, 12:59   #91

Boat: Southerly
Re: Southerly 480 - Build Thread?

Glad youre enjoying it.Thanks for reading.

Ask away!
Adrian Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 13:39   #92

The question i was wondering was cost. What does it cost to spec a boat of this quality? Probably too personal of a question, so no worries.

The other burning question is how do you decide which items you'll leave to the manufacturer to complete vs 3rd party vendors post delivery? Does the boat manufacturer get better prices on items vs what you could get directly? Do you just submit a list of upgrades and ask them to price and then go shop on your own? I'm thinking they probably wouldn't like that.

...so many questions around the process. much appreciated!
PSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 15:01   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSea View Post
The question i was wondering was cost. What does it cost to spec a boat of this quality? Probably too personal of a question, so no worries.

The other burning question is how do you decide which items you'll leave to the manufacturer to complete vs 3rd party vendors post delivery? Does the boat manufacturer get better prices on items vs what you could get directly? Do you just submit a list of upgrades and ask them to price and then go shop on your own? I'm thinking they probably wouldn't like that.

...so many questions around the process. much appreciated!
OK well the list price for the "basic" spec is dependant on delivery date, but right now I think thats around £745k, then you would probably spend around 15% on extras/options etc.

As for when/who to install gear I guess you can retro fit most things, and so you can get stuff like breakers, big cables, ducting and skin fittings installed during build, to make retro fit easier. Best to be quite open with the builder about the spec, and discuss, because if the retro fitted items are going to require more batteries, larger gensets etc this should be planned for.

If you're planing on self install, that will save the labour cost but you will likely be paying a similar amount for the kit itself if like for like, although you may have the option to go with different brands at different prices.

I know a few people who have compared quotes for retro fitting gear, like bimini, stainless fabrications, watermakers and were pleased with the cash savings, but it was difficult to compare specs/prices directly with the factory option, but they were entrirely happy with the functionality

I am normally keen to stick with the builders choices, then warranty is clear and simple, and stuff can be designed in rather than needing alterations to be made to the new boat. Previously I have questioned some prices to get a better understanding of why there is a difference and usually there is some reason, or some agreement!

What I have done previously and this time round as well is check the product specs, then prices for the larger items both standard fit and optional items, and then discuss. Sometimes though it's simply not possible to retro fit, for example on non standard timbers, coloured gel coats or changes to the furniture/cabin layout.

We have done some preparation for future fitting on this boat, but because I am unsure about spec rather than cost EG Solar.

Please feel free to raise any question you like.
Old 07-02-2019, 15:41   #94

Boat: Amel 50

Pretty much my experience also.

I found it much easier to deal with the factory (Amel, in my case) for options I wanted, even for options that were not offered. I made quite a few modifications/additions to some stock items (electrical, lights, cabinetry, solar, anchor, VHF, SSB, handholds, etc.) because I wanted something different. The factory accommodated my requests and the installations and parts are under factory warranty. You want factory support if you plan to sail away.

Will you get the same quality and warranty with 3rd party installations? Possibly, but not likely. Can you shop around and get better prices? For sure, but it will take time and the result might not be as good.

Note that spec changes are usually available only from higher end manufacturers. Do not expect the same service from companies like Beneteau, FP, etc.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 16:04   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
Pretty much my experience also.

I found it much easier to deal with the factory (Amel, in my case) for options I wanted, even for options that were not offered. I made quite a few modifications/additions to some stock items (electrical, lights, cabinetry, solar, anchor, VHF, SSB, handholds, etc.) because I wanted something different. The factory accommodated my requests and the installations and parts are under factory warranty. You want factory support if you plan to sail away.

Will you get the same quality and warranty with 3rd party installations? Possibly, but not likely. Can you shop around and get better prices? For sure, but it will take time and the result might not be as good.

Note that spec changes are usually available only from higher end manufacturers. Do not expect the same service from companies like Beneteau, FP, etc.
The point about factory support is a gòod one. Discovery are allways willing to speak to and help their owners. They maintain records for all, Im sure Amel are the same.
Old 07-02-2019, 16:20   #96

Thanks for all the feedback. Great points about getting warranty service from the manufacturer as well as having everything warrantied by one entity. you don't get caught in the middle. always wondered what these beautiful shiny new boats cost. guess i have some work to do!

Now on to a serious question. Are you in the market to adopt a 40-something yr old male? ;-)
PSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 19:50   #97

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Chen View Post
The point about factory support is a gòod one. Discovery are allways willing to speak to and help their owners. They maintain records for all, Im sure Amel are the same.
Amel knows and supports every boat they ever built, no matter who is the owner. For me, that's a big appeal. I would expect all top builders to do the same.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 22:25   #98

Well the boat was launched Monday PM and of course I missed that particular milestone, but should get a few belated pics from one of the Discovery folk in due course. Yesterday installing the mainsheet arch and stepping the mast were the main jobs. I was able to see the arch go on, but missed the mast, but here it is with the last few tweaks being done before it was stepped:

Foot

Head

Discovery fit these halyard tracks which are new to me

There are lots of fittings on the mast, some are thoughtful additions like the folding steps at the top, which I guess are there for convenience when you need to work up there, and spreader lights, but everything looks to be a great standard.

And here's the arch dangling off the crane

Being offered up

Then bolted down

The area around the base will now be made good, and the electrical connections completed for the cockpit lights.

Thats it for now - more to follow when the boat is a bit more accessible.
Old 14-02-2019, 01:43   #99

Popped down to Saxon Wharf yesterday to see the mast going in and get some pics of the launch from one of the guys, so these are out of sequence, but still:

So here she is in the slings ready to go

Gently does it

Splosh

Not as elegant as sliding down a ramp, with a great splash, and cheering crowds, but a great moment for me! (even though I missed it)

Fast forward a bit, and the arch is on and the mast is being stepped

Last few mm

Done!

So afloat! She is high in the water here but will be fine with the full amount of chain, full tanks, sails and so forth. Next the temporary forestays will be replaced with the proper ones including the furlex systems, boom, sails and loads of systems testing, soon be time for the handover...
Old 15-02-2019, 14:57   #100
cruiser

Wow Adrian, what a fabulous project and you have presented it so well here in this thread.. This will excite many I'm sure.
Wish you many happy days cruising ahead.

Cheers OzePete
OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 15:41   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzePete View Post
Wow Adrian, what a fabulous project and you have presented it so well here in this thread.. This will excite many I'm sure.
Wish you many happy days cruising ahead.

Cheers OzePete
Many thanks, glad you're enjoying the thread.
Old 20-02-2019, 01:00   #102

Heres a VR/360 of Southerly 480-003 that just made it to Southampton International Boat Show in 2018. She has some custom cabinetry in the lower saloon area which adds a fridge and loads of stowage. The timber is Oak and she has teak decks. (The Discovery 58 parked next to her is a synthetic deck)

Scroll to the bottom of the page

https://southerlyyachts.com/southerly-480-2/
Old 20-02-2019, 10:43   #103

So today the boat was moved from Saxon Wharf to Hythe Marina (2.8nm) , where the testing/commissioning will be carried out. The canvas and window mesh have been fitted.

I'll be down there later in the week to set up some of the nav systems etc, so just this one pic for now...

Old 21-02-2019, 20:35   #104

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Hi Adrien,

Firstly, she looks the dog's b.......

Regarding the track on your mast, it is an easy way of reducing tension on your sail. Opposite your blue halyard line is an identical fitting allowing a line to be tied to the winch below to release tension on the jamb cleat/lock and adding life to your wardrobe.

Good kit. Enjoy her in good health.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 21:03   #105

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Fabulous boat, looking forward to some more pictures. If I were ever to sell up and buy a serious boat it would be a toss-up whether I'd want your boat or Distant Shores 3.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Discovery 48, Discovery Yachts, Lifting keel, Southerly, Southerly 480, Southerly yachts