Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2008, 01:41   #1

Southerly 46RS & Bruckmann

I was curious if anyone has any experience with the:

Southerly 46RS or Bruckmann 50

Ran across these 2 boats and they look very interesting!! Both for very different purposes but still very impressive!!

I would love to hear anyone who has ever seen one in person or has owned one!! I would love to get their personal input on these yachts!!

Cheers!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 02:29   #2

I can't tell you about the sailing characteristics of either but can tell you about the construction of the Bruckmann. We own a Custom C&C that was built by the then C&C custom builder AKA Bruckmann. The boat is finished very well and is massively built. The stringers are 6" by 18" running 2/3 of the hull, there are substantial ring frames, the forward half of the hull is glass/balsa/glass/balsa/glass to provide panel stiffness, the hull flange is 8", the deck is glassed to the hull then mechanically fastened, the rudder post is a solid 6" SS post,,,,. Although an old design our sisterships are still competitive in IRC, one recently won the Giraglia Rolex Cup.

Bruckmann builds a very tough boat and the details they build too are not available on a production boat. I can't imagine you would be disapointed with the quality of a Bruckmann boat.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 02:33   #3

Thanks Joli!! Not too many shots of the boat, but yah, it does look like a SOLID piece of work!! But, as you know, everything looks great on paper/internet. I just wanted a real personal view and real world aspects.

Cheers!
Old 23-01-2008, 13:24   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
My wife and I went aboard the Bruckmann 50 at the Annapolis show in 06. That was a very nice boat!

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 13:50   #5

Bruckman 50.....ABSOLUTLY a beautiful boat.....However, $$$$$$$.
D.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 17:05   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 49 SO
My neighbour in the marina in the UK has a Southerly 46, I think it's the model that pre dates the one you're looking at, he bought it new about 3 years ago.

He rates it very highly and has spec'd it as his RTW escape boat. It was a VERY considered purchase on his part, he and his wife being among the most experienced yacht people I've met.

This guy is beyond genius, the senior partner of one of the world's leading architectural practices. If he thinks it's a great boat, it almost certainly is.

If it's good enough for him, I'd recommend it without hesitation.
zavier38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 21:38   #7

Thanks everyone for your real world input!! Very much appreciate it!! Please add more if any!! But I do agree from everything that I've researched, these 2 boats are top notch!