Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2018, 08:13   #1

South Florida Boat Yard Recommend

I know this has been done and it seems like it is a bit of a holy grail search but does anyone know of a cheap place to store a 30' sailboat in the South Florida area?

I found a few acceptable options on the west coast and down the Okeechobee waterway at Glades Boatyard for a little more than $100 a month. That is pretty tough to beat but it would be nice to stay in South Florida. What do you South Florida people do with your boats for the hurricane season? Thanks
keep sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:49   #2

Re: South Florida Boat Yard Recommend

For in the water storage, the canals in SE Fl, West Palm etc have houses that rent out space. I doubt you can get $100 though, unless you have a shallow draft boat and a homeowner has a hard to rent slip due to depth or other things. These often just have a couple of pilings you tie to, no docks. I had to climb off the boat on the bowsprit! The homeowner was nice though and encouraged me when visiting the boat to use his pool!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:37   #3

Boat: 1978 Bristol 29.9 #113

Glades is a great place to store a boat dry and/or work on the boat but not a very convenient location. I store my 30' sailboat there and it works well, because I am gone all summer and need to work on the boat a while in the fall before launching.
pmagistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:35   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, keep sailing.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:46   #5

We used Indiantown several times over several years. very happy with that.

Bad News - you burn a day heading inland on the St. Lucie Canal.

Good news - you motor through fresh water for 20+ miles, so it really cleans the salt off your hull, thru hulls, and motor cooling system. And, it's inland a ways, so "relatively" protected from hurricane issues.

~markb
bratzcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:07   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep sailing View Post
I know this has been done and it seems like it is a bit of a holy grail search but does anyone know of a cheap place to store a 30' sailboat in the South Florida area?

I found a few acceptable options on the west coast and down the Okeechobee waterway at Glades Boatyard for a little more than $100 a month. That is pretty tough to beat but it would be nice to stay in South Florida. What do you South Florida people do with your boats for the hurricane season? Thanks
I doubt you will find a cheaper price than the Glades or a safer location in south Florida for storage on the hill.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 18:33   #7

Just remember you will have a lot of ash to clean off your boat from the burning of the sugar cane fields.
getyourbone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, florida, men