Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 16:59   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Sounding-Out Possible Suitors for 'Oh Joy' . . .

I put this here for maximum exposure. It's not an ad as if I have to do this, she will be free to a good home....

As much as I hate the idea of having to walk away, the last 15 months have put me into a corner. I've lost my truck (no biggie) and will lose my home come July 20th. The job market sucks here and I may have to move out of state. I'm not looking for sympathy of any kind but I may have to give up Oh Joy in the process. She's a 1961 Knutson yawl, S&S design # 539, built by the Thomas Knutson yard in Halesite NY as a one off version with Solent Staysail stay and a bowsprit for the charter trade in the Great Lakes. She was originally launched as "Sandstone" and later cruised the Caribbean and points South for 17 years.

Here she is in better times:

and here:

also here:

Many of you have followed her restoration up here. She lies currently in Bellingham on the hard with her decks, house and sticks off. She still need some ribs replaced and the decks put on. I have enough Black Locust to finish the framing and will continue to do so. I also have enough Aquatech to do the bulkhead replacement and about half of the decking and will continue working on that as long as I can.

She's a great boat which has sailed far and wide, through all kinds of weather to bring her crew home safe each and everytime. She surely deserves better than the breaker's saw.....

While this isn't yet set in stone, I thought to try and line up interested and capable suitors before a hard deadline hits. If I am able, I will keep and finish her. I still plan to take her around....
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 20:42   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Well, thanks to some help from fellow sailors, we're in a bit better shape and have a few options that didn't exist before. One of the things that occurred is the restoration of a Kettenburg 40 thanks to a reference from Robert Perry. We will be getting the boat this month via truck. The interesting thing is that it's hull # 1, which hasn't been seen by anyone in over 15 years and isn't even on the Kettenburg registry. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on her.
Old 06-06-2010, 20:45   #3

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Was wondering why it wasn't listed on this forum...completely missed it....looks like everyone else did as well.

As stated elsewhere all the best Charlie

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 20:49   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not a problem.. The folks on SA and elsewhere stepped up nicely, even though I wasn't looking for something like that at all. After some brief thought on the subject, I decided screw the pride cause I ain't ready for the fall. I'm glad I did because so much more than a bit of money came out of it...
Old 06-06-2010, 20:53   #5

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Indeed...

FWIW...I pretty much bailed on SA quit awhile ago...To much testosterone for me...but it was refreshing to see what took place.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 20:57   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, there is plenty of that but it depends on where ya hang out. There's not nearly as much in the Cruising and Fix it sections.