Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 11:57   #46

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Re: Some Boats Just Do It.

Always loved the look of (someone else's) Choy Lee. Very pretty boats, lots of upkeep.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:04   #47
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

My fave boats have very little wood - used tastefully as accents.

Known typically as traditional Herreshoff interiors:

For example:

SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:13   #48

Thanks folks, lots of good points. I'm waiting on the current owners to get in touch with me. They're currently sailing the west coast of Florida. Since they are living aboard hopefully most of the systems will be functional. I've decided to get it surveyed. I'm pretty sure that unless it is catastrophic condition it won't affect my decision to purchase. It might not help but it's cheap and it sure can't hurt.

Who in the world posted the picture of that Hunter? I'm a romantic and although it may be a better deal,IMHO, it's ugly. The Hunter would be anonymous in a marina but this grand old girl would turn the heads.

I restored my 1962 and my 1969 Corvette. I'm currently finishing my 1995 Vette convertible so I have some knowledge of fiberglass work. This boat can almost be compared to me going to a car show in the '62 Vette and parking beside a brand new Z06 Vette. Although the new car is better in every respect than my old car, no one cares. All eyes are on the classic. The new car can drive a quarter million miles with just oil changes. I have to diddle with the points, condenser adjust valves and do a basic tune-up every year it seems. The rewards far, far outweigh the labor of love involved.

I may be a bit naive but I do feel that once the maintenance is brought up to par that the continuing work will not be overwhelming. I intend to do a lot of cruising and rather than just sit in a marina and drink beer, I can be sanding, varnishing, gluing and enjoying myself. I just recently made a French Provincial table using draw planes and sanding blocks. I really find relaxation in molding wood to suit my purposes.

I guess I just like classic objects and a boat is no different. Hell, I'm a classic, what's not to like?

Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:31   #49

soon I will start working on my teak deck...to just about everyone its a hard job...to me its a few days of fun enjoying the sun...my deck will then be good for at least a decade, by then il probably be your age and still able to redo it myself...eventualy my son will do it for me.

as for all the wood work...varnishing or oiling is easy work and takes away bordome...the results make one feel good...it is not that much time consuming and leaves plenty time for sailing...the good thing about these jewels is that they are slow enough for modern plastics to catch up and be shamed by there beauty and elegance

iv tryed to rationalise my desision to optain my 41ft...I questioned every aspect from construction composites to size and practicalities...compared it to my almost perfect H28...in the end I am still madly in love with her lines and woodwork...yes I will cover her with love and it will coast me...less then my ex wife

oh mine has a broken missen mast...I was going to build an other...its simple enough...but I fund a free aluminium mast from a 30ft sailboat...why bother??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0331.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	25887   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0364.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	25888  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0440.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	25889  
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:39   #50
cruiser

Sure, if you want to spend time reading Dostoyevsky novels and playing russian roulette with 6 chambers full in your dark wooden interior, and vomiting your vodka into a bucket because of all that dark wet gloss, good luck.

There's nothing more depressing than the romantic egotistical fool who mistakes trying to impress themselves and others with their craftwork vs humbly seeking adventure and travel in a quiet state of mind.

btw there's nothing modern about a "traditional" Herreshoff interior.
Old 05-04-2011, 13:30   #51

Dear Mr. Salty Monkey,

David Old Jersey, Jobi, Zeehag, vjm, swisscraft and others have proffered constructive advice and opinions. You, on the other hand have been somewhat combative. As an example:
Quote:
Sure, if you want to spend time reading Dostoyevsky novels and playing russian roulette with 6 chambers full in your dark wooden interior, and vomiting your vodka into a bucket because of all that dark wet gloss, good luck.

There's nothing more depressing than the romantic egotistical fool who mistakes trying to impress themselves and others with their craftwork vs humbly seeking adventure and travel in a quiet state of mind.
Although I will admit to being a romantic and my successful life's experiences have made me somewhat of an egotiist, (I do drive Vette's but I have no white shoes or belts) I don't believe I am a fool. Name calling is not in the best interest of this forum and I would rather not get this thread closed because of someone's problems.

And, BTW what's wrong with Dostoyevsky? Some of his works involve conflicts between the physical body and spiritualism. Nothing wrong with that in my book. I'd rather consider myself a transcendentalist. Walden Pond is some of the best reading I've ever done. Crime and punishment is a classic, I can see why YOU wouldn't like that. You like nothing classical.

And you also said:
Quote:
1) We don't have the $$$$$$$$$$$$

2) We don't have the calories or fantasy that maintaining boat increases ones health.

3) We don't have the obligation anchor of having to keep a boats value by the constant cosmetic crap demanded by a wooden boat.

4) We don't have the time because we are out sailing, instead of being delusional that sailing and seamanship has anything to do with the "build" mentality stuck in a yard or on the dock with varnish, oil, or a sander.
As to your point #1 I do have the money. I wish you had more and if necessary, I'll lend you some or at least buy you a few drinks.

Your point #2, well. I'm sure a little cardio while manning the sanding blocks is better that sitting on your butt waiting for a puff to come along and give you something to do.

Point #3........I'm not concerned by the boats value, you are. Do you shave or trim your nails? That's constant cosmetic crap that serves a purpose. In my mind's eye, maintaining my equipment is the same. What else would I do on a leisurely three day run across the Gulf. May as well sand.

Point #4 is just silly. Am I allowed to sand while underway? I wax my cars, I keep myself clean, and I'll shine on the old boat out of respect for her aged beauty. I really enjoy old things made new. It's not a chore, really.

I'm just trying to make the point that we all have different points of view. I know yours so there's no further need to put down these fine folk that feel a labor of love. Please read the CF rules of the road about insulting others that have different views. Most af all, keep your chin up and have a wonderful day.

Your friend ----Bill----

Old 05-04-2011, 13:50   #52

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Bill,

If you can do like you say then go for it.

When I was in my early 20s I was lucky enough to do all the maintenance on a Cheoy Lee Offshore 33 (??? I think) owned by a doctor, in exchange for use of it if he was not. Such a deal. Sailing a 100k boat while making minimum wage! I liked doing things with my hands and was pretty good with a brush or a wrench.

I could do that then but for sure not now.

Those boats sure are lookers. Though more modern designs are more "cruiser friendly" I can tell that is only part of what you want to spend your time/money on.

Good for you and I hope it works out for you.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 13:51   #53
cruiser

Bill is rather sensitive about things - did I ever say YOU were the FOOL in my description. No, I did not. I said

"There's nothing more depressing than THE romantic egotistical fool..."

We certainly gave you constructive criticism in your endeavour, only you blindly were looking for only NODS of encouragement.

"Do you shave or trim your nails?" - no, I actually do not. And, btw I am a monkey.

I highly suggest you either get a modern boat, a semi classical one with a Herreshoff interior, or pull your pants all the way down and go for a full wooden boat with a gaff rig. At least with the last you will fulfill your wood hobbies in complete and learn everything about wooden boats.
Old 05-04-2011, 13:54   #54
cruiser

Thoreau was a liar, stole food from his neighbors, and gave up after a certain amount of time. He was, in short order, a fake.

Dostoy was a modern novelist/
Old 05-04-2011, 14:09   #55

Boat: Westsail 32

Hey Bill,

First boat I ever sailed on as a kid way back in the 60's was a Choy Lee just like the one in your picture. I was instantly infected and the disease has gotten worse ever sense. If the boat is in as great shape as she appears in the picture and the price is right, and you like to work on boats or have very deep pockets sounds like a good plan. Type of vessel that takes your breath away. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 14:18   #56
cruiser

Why not do it right, if you are looking in FL? Check out these - click on details.

1972 Rosborough Rosborough Privateer Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=77647&url=

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1930&url=

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=38308&url=

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=38308&url=
Old 05-04-2011, 14:24   #57

Boat: Westsail 32

The Choy Lee Owners Association might be a source of information for you:

Cheoy Lee Sailboat Association
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 14:37   #58

Boat: Beneteau 41S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Burgette View Post
Dear Mr. Salty Monkey,

David Old Jersey, Jobi, Zeehag, vjm, swisscraft and others have proffered constructive advice and opinions. You, on the other hand have been somewhat combative. As an example:
Although I will admit to being a romantic and my successful life's experiences have made me somewhat of an egotiist, (I do drive Vette's but I have no white shoes or belts) I don't believe I am a fool. Name calling is not in the best interest of this forum and I would rather not get this thread closed because of someone's problems.

And, BTW what's wrong with Dostoyevsky? Some of his works involve conflicts between the physical body and spiritualism. Nothing wrong with that in my book. I'd rather consider myself a transcendentalist. Walden Pond is some of the best reading I've ever done. Crime and punishment is a classic, I can see why YOU wouldn't like that. You like nothing classical.

And you also said:
As to your point #1 I do have the money. I wish you had more and if necessary, I'll lend you some or at least buy you a few drinks.

Your point #2, well. I'm sure a little cardio while manning the sanding blocks is better that sitting on your butt waiting for a puff to come along and give you something to do.

Point #3........I'm not concerned by the boats value, you are. Do you shave or trim your nails? That's constant cosmetic crap that serves a purpose. In my mind's eye, maintaining my equipment is the same. What else would I do on a leisurely three day run across the Gulf. May as well sand.

Point #4 is just silly. Am I allowed to sand while underway? I wax my cars, I keep myself clean, and I'll shine on the old boat out of respect for her aged beauty. I really enjoy old things made new. It's not a chore, really.

I'm just trying to make the point that we all have different points of view. I know yours so there's no further need to put down these fine folk that feel a labor of love. Please read the CF rules of the road about insulting others that have different views. Most af all, keep your chin up and have a wonderful day.

Your friend ----Bill----
Bill - You were pretty nice to an un-named, bitter primate. Very sporting of you. Get what obviously pumps the blood, if you don't like it, you can always move on.
Cheers~
97fxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 14:50   #59

Thanks, SaltyMonkey, those are certainly handsome boats but a little above my price range. Since this is my first cruising boat I've set my price at $50,000. I'd like to find a boat in the 25-30K range and then make it pretty. It seems that most folk on this forum seem to think that 50% of the price should be set aside for a refit I thought I'd go as high as 100% of the purchase price. If I find out that this is not the life I dreamed it would be then I'm only out the cost of my labor. The boat will sell.

I've sailed my whole life.....well, at least since 1969, and have always enjoyed it. I've hoped to do this since I first tugged a mainsheet. I started on a Hobie 16 and got me a NACRA 5.8 in 1984. I still sail and race this boat all summer. I've taught my son, my grandson and many others over the years. Although I have less than 100 hours on monohulls I have a pretty good feel for the wind.

My cousin has about an acre of land in Loma Partida, Panama and she has built a 40' dock for me to tie up whenever I visit. I could even give her clients boat rides as part of her package deal. In return for that she'd build me my own house. If I get tired of sanding she has about 8 Indians that work for $1.50 per hour that would love to help. They've built her homes, her rental houses/huts, cleared the land and made it a paradise. Heck, they even took a tree and whittled her out a cayuga (canoe). Pretty talented folk.

Since I'm now retired, I have a destination, I have help it seems that all I need is a boat. If you're ever in the Bocas del Toro area give my cuz a hug for me. Here's a link to my destination:

Bocas del Toro, Panama vacation rental house, hotel or resort alternative - Casa Coco Loco

This is not an endorsement or advertising, I just wanted y'all to know that I know where to go, I have the time and all I need is a boat. A modern styled boat would look pretty funny and not fit in with the island nature of Michelle's home.

Old 05-04-2011, 14:51   #60

Beautiful boat Bill. Sounds like you know your way around wood and are pretty handy in gerneral - go for it! Even if you come to regret it (and I don't think you will) most of us have wasted far more money on crappy cars or have sunk tons of money on "good investments" like houses.
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote