Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 06:57   #76
CFR

Re: Some Boats Just Do It.

go ahead if the survey does not find too many problems. My father restored a Vindo 50 ( not feet but sailarea) which was built in 1972 and it looks beautiful , forget all the Hunter Bavadrias Hanse etc if it is for the look. The Vindo had a glasfiber hull and wooden deck but aluminium spar. I only see a problem with the spars, i bought a folkboat just 9 years old and the spar was rotten inside and it broke after 3 months of purchase.. so i had to buy a new one. I was painted in white so i could not see any rotten areas and the rot was inside behind/arround some bolts

Check the wiring and the engine as well any tanks ( if aluminium you might have problems). To renew tanks etc is not a funny job.

I have a aluminium 44 feet and a lot to do but i can sleep well because even if the cosmetic is not perfect the boat is tight and nothing can rot.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:06   #77

Boat: Cal 2-30

Best of luck. I think you could handle this project. You did ask for people to talk you out of it so I think all the comments have been worthwhile. If you do buy her you have to set up a blog of the project. She really is a beauty. I don't think any of us got into boats for any rational reasons.
crashkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:21   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

I suspect that even when you think you are being rational in your choice you wouldn't have to dig to deep to find the kid in the candy store.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:42   #79

Boat: 43' Vista Aft Cabin 'Victoria"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Burgette View Post
Dear Mr. Salty Monkey,

David Old Jersey, Jobi, Zeehag, vjm, swisscraft and others have proffered constructive advice and opinions. You, on the other hand have been somewhat combative. As an example:
Although I will admit to being a romantic and my successful life's experiences have made me somewhat of an egotiist, (I do drive Vette's but I have no white shoes or belts) I don't believe I am a fool. Name calling is not in the best interest of this forum and I would rather not get this thread closed because of someone's problems.

And, BTW what's wrong with Dostoyevsky? Some of his works involve conflicts between the physical body and spiritualism. Nothing wrong with that in my book. I'd rather consider myself a transcendentalist. Walden Pond is some of the best reading I've ever done. Crime and punishment is a classic, I can see why YOU wouldn't like that. You like nothing classical.

And you also said:
As to your point #1 I do have the money. I wish you had more and if necessary, I'll lend you some or at least buy you a few drinks.

Your point #2, well. I'm sure a little cardio while manning the sanding blocks is better that sitting on your butt waiting for a puff to come along and give you something to do.

Point #3........I'm not concerned by the boats value, you are. Do you shave or trim your nails? That's constant cosmetic crap that serves a purpose. In my mind's eye, maintaining my equipment is the same. What else would I do on a leisurely three day run across the Gulf. May as well sand.

Point #4 is just silly. Am I allowed to sand while underway? I wax my cars, I keep myself clean, and I'll shine on the old boat out of respect for her aged beauty. I really enjoy old things made new. It's not a chore, really.

I'm just trying to make the point that we all have different points of view. I know yours so there's no further need to put down these fine folk that feel a labor of love. Please read the CF rules of the road about insulting others that have different views. Most af all, keep your chin up and have a wonderful day.

Your friend ----Bill----
Bravo Bill!
Old 06-04-2011, 09:07   #80

Quote:
I suspect that even when you think you are being rational in your choice you wouldn't have to dig to deep to find the kid in the candy store
That's exactly right and a great analogy. I've worked hard and now I have a few pennies in my pocket. I'm going to a candy store (boat market) and, just like a kid, am not looking at the calorie content (Usefulness). I want what tastes (looks) good to me. Even though I may get a cavity (learn a lesson) that cavity can be filled and life goes on.

You can yell "HOT" every time your child goes near the stove but he doesn't know the meaning of that word until he gets burnt. We've all been burnt at least once in our lives and we learn from our mistakes. Lord knows I've made a slew of those and have learned a lot. Maybe it'll help.

I can't believe we've all had 80 posts and nary an admonishment from the Mods. Great job folks. Thanks. ---Bill---

Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:48   #81

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Be aware that re-varnishing a mast can "generally" NOT be done while anchored out. It requires a helper on a windless, PERFECTLY calm day, in a protected basin, while tied to a dock.

I've climbed masts hundreds of times, and the wake from a dinghy can cause a concussion! If you have a brush in your right hand, and can of varnish in your left, you have none to hang on with, (unless you have a prehensile tail). I learned this the hard way, and have a crushed sternum to live with.

You also can't tape, sand, or varnish underway effectively, as there is too much spray & motion for good work.

When I had a Wharram cat, I beached mine to renew the varnish, as I just couldn't do it anchored out. Perhaps on a monohull in calm enough conditions you could?

Just another consideration...

Mark
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:37   #82
vjm

I also highly support the development of a prehensile tail as the next big innovation for sailors. I have always wanted one, and as a chef for many years it would have been quite a boon.

Get on it West Marine!
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:46   #83
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
I also highly support the development of a prehensile tail as the next big innovation for sailors. I have always wanted one, and as a chef for many years it would have been quite a boon.

Get on it West Marine!
Strange. I have no problem or need one.

SaltyMonkey
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:24   #84
Armchair Bucketeer

Having given this matter further consideration, I think you need.........a bowsprit

Errrrr, I've upped your budget a bit EUR 440k.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:11   #85

Beautiful boat but it would certainly cut into the rum budget, eh? I couldn't afford the extra marina charge for the non-livable extra length. I've already got an overhang. What would you call that sail plan? Is it a cutter with an extra sail? A yankee maybe? I think a yankee sail would limit my options with the ladies. Many of them are Red Sox fans and they just wouldn't understand.

Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:53   #86
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

eyeturning....but gaffs always fall on monkey heads
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 14:59   #87
vjm

Cheoy Lee 32's are also an option. I am currently swooning over them. A different look than your target, but might be worth a look see.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote