Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 05:05   #31

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Solo, Strong, Bluewater Cruiser Choices . . .

Here you go, fully found, offshore ready to go, great price.

SEAFARI - W32
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:21   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Vigor recommends a knotted floating (polypropelyne) line about 150 ft. long with a brightly colored float at the end, to be trailed behind the boat when solo sailing offshore. If you go over, grab the line. (If you use a windvane or autopilot, the line should be rigged so that if you give it a hard yank, the autosteering will disengage and weather helm will cause the boat to head up and stop)......
Good theory - but like so much in our lifestyle/sport/pursuit the practice is somewhat different. Try it - trail the line, while the boat is doing 5 knots and jump in and try and grab it and hold on. Let me know who it goes for you.

The holding on bit is surprisingly hard, but the actually getting to the rope aint all that easy either, if you are doing 5-6 knots you got 15 or so seconds to get the line at 50 metres length
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:30   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Here is the book you seek. He devotes an entire chapter to describing the ideal single handed boat. Heavy 32' cutter....................

Singlehanded Sailing:

The Experiences and Techniques of the Lone Voyagers

Richard Henderson
0 Reviews
McGraw-Hill Professional, 1992 - Sports & Recreation - 352 pages

Singlehanded Sailing offers an account of the experiences and techniques of the lone voyagers, and penetrating insights into the psychology of singlehanders, their vessels, gear, strategies, and techniques, plus vivid accounts of emergency experiences alone against the elements. The information is absorbing in its own right, but also of obvious value to a larger audience of cruising sailors who occasionally find themselves sailing singlehanded or shorthanded. Combined with a wealth of practical information is an overriding sense of the camaraderie of the sea, and Henderson's steadying hand as a master sailor and teacher.

Singlehanded Sailing: The ... - Google Books
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:03   #34

Boat: Helleman, 45' Steel Trawler

whichever boat you buy, it might be an idea to buy and mount some stainless retractable steps on the hull.

i purchased some very inexpensively and will soon mount three on each side of the boat, midship. i was also worried about the high freeboard on my boat and wanted to be able to clamber back aboard easily. the steps i bought are about 4 inches wide and have a neet hinge on them so that when not needed they fold up flat to the hull. if i need them i just reach up and pull them down, and they act as handholds and steps.
Honey Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 14:28   #35

On single handed sailing (not sure if anyone has mentioned this), I think the key is to keep yourself attached to the boat whenever you are on deck, by using a harness and a tether attached so that it will not allow you to go over the side. Everybody has a tendency to get lazy in fair weather, but you just have to be diligent. Trailing a line is a good idea but preventing the situation is what you should strive for.
Brian
amarinesurveyor is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser