Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2008, 11:45   #1

Solo Circumnavigation - Hanse 630 or Hanse 540

Hi Everyone, i am new to this forum.
I intend to undertake a solo circumnavigation around the globe, via the three capes. solo. non-stop and unsupported.

I am looking for a yacht of approx 60 ft in length.
Rigging for easy handling by one person. Other modifications that will need to be done to customise it for the journey include extra watertigh compartments fore and aft, crash boxes etc.

I have been seriously considering the Hanse 54 and the Hanse 63.

(The other options are
Marten 49 - very expensive , about 1.5 million, but an all carbon yacht

Jenneau SunOdessy DS - well built (from what Ive heard), better than the
Beneteau

Swan 60 - heavy yacht, very expensive

What are your thoughts on the suitability of the Hanse 54 or 63 for such a voyage thru the southern ocean.
In terms of
1. build quality
2. handling ease
3. reliability & safety

would appreciate any help on this , thanks
oceanbluesail09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 11:55   #2
cruiser

One question comes to mind before I can comment...

Do you plan to re-sell the boat at the end of the circumnavigation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbluesail09 View Post
I intend to undertake a solo circumnavigation around the globe, via the three capes. solo. non-stop and unsupported.

I am looking for a yacht of approx 60 ft in length.
Rigging for easy handling by one person. Other modifications that will need to be done to customise it for the journey include extra watertigh compartments fore and aft, crash boxes etc.

I have been seriously considering the Hanse 54 and the Hanse 63.

(The other options are
Marten 49 - very expensive , about 1.5 million, but an all carbon yacht

Jenneau SunOdessy DS - well built (from what Ive heard), better than the
Beneteau

Swan 60 - heavy yacht, very expensive

What are your thoughts on the suitability of the Hanse 54 or 63 for such a voyage thru the southern ocean.
In terms of
1. build quality
2. handling ease
3. reliability & safety

would appreciate any help on this , thanks
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 12:00   #3

re: Not sureif it would make it

hi, im not sure what the resale value would be once its been thru a trip like that. I may most probably just give it out to charter once done or sail it my self for leisure.

Im willing to modify it as much as required for safety and extra fuel capacity.
Not concerned with reselling it.
Old 18-07-2008, 22:07   #4

Most of the boats you're considering would easily handle a single solo circumnavigation, and may actually improve in value on your return depending on the press coverage of your voyage. If you can even contemplate a $1 million dollar boat then you should be pretty focused on retaining some or all of that value, whether to keep the boat or to sell it afterward.

My question to look at your choices is: how long do you intend to spend doing this trip? To a considerable degree the amount of time you have to invest in this will also determine your course, and thus to degree the weather you can expect.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 23:57   #5

Hi amagine,
ive budgeted 200 - 250 days to do it solo and non-stop. Time is not the issue as i am committed to this project full time. I wonder that is the wear and tear one would expect over such a 55,000 km journey - ie. stuff that will have to be replaced.

I hve heard some comments that the hanse is not very well built. THe Jenneaus are much better. and forget about a Bavaria!. Is bavaria an option at all?
Old 19-07-2008, 00:33   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Oceanbluesail09 - I started off with the intent of doing a solo circumnavigation (not non-stop and not via the capes) with a Jeanneau 43DS. It terms of space and sailability the boat is great and the only reason that I've put it up for sale is that I don't think it is going to be the right platform for this lengthy journey. And my intent is to use every means possible to avoid inclement weather - in your case that won't be an option as you are sailing the capes and I don't think that the Jeanneau, Hanse, Beneteau and Bavaria lines are built to withstand the kind of punishment you are going to give them for over 200 continuous days. The retrofitting costs for these are going to be significant (e.g. they don't have factory watertight bulkheads). I looked at two Oyster 473s and a newish Oyster 43 (or was it 42?) and the difference in construction to the boats listed above was noticeable - much heavier and more solid materials were used and even there I had planned on numerous reinforcements and replacements for my modest plans.

You haven't stated if speed was a factor. If so, and comfort isn't a major factor, then I recommend you look at the boats specifically designed for this purpose, there are a number of IMOCA open 60s on the market that would then suit your requirements.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 06:16   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
With your budget I would consider having a boat built, and finished sparsley inside. For eliminating weight, and allowing a more convenient boat for working sails, and such.

EXAMPLE
The bow of the boat could be empty, and make a wonderful, and organized sail locker. Not to mention hanging extra line. Later a new owner could finish the boat fulfilling their own desires.

I personally would make the salon, and galley a thing of comfort, and keep the rest of the boat empty, or spartan.

Having the boat built will give you many advatages for strength, weight, equipment, etc. etc....BEST WISHES on succeeding in your goal.

One more though is looking for a used boat built for the same purpose. For your goal I would think speed is essential. Just in wanting to avoid weather..........

Wizard Yachts ltd. Fast is Fun !

These people built Merlin, and she held many records for decades...Bill Lee is the owner..........
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 07:42   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
If I were thinking of doing something like that, I would consider buying a 50-60 foot aluminum used boat, and then refit her. Lots of great ex racing boats out there that would serve the purpose. Get one with a really deep keel, replace the engine, sails, running and standing rigging, and the electronics. You are going to have to buy most of that stuff anyways with a new boat, why not get one that is built "Hell to stout".

Like this:
51' Palmer Johnson Alden 51'
  • Year: 1980
  • Current Price: US$ 279,000
  • Located In Holland, MI
  • Hull Material: Aluminum
  • Engine/Fuel Type: Single Diesel
  • YW# 1863-1918904
OR there is a used Sinek on YW as well, YW# 1984-1741817

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 08:08   #9

<nods>

I'm very glad I asked the question I did then.

Your probable route is the west-about tradewinds route, with some weather concerns in the western pacific as you approach New Zealand/Australia/Torres, and the southern tip of Africa, plus everywhere on the planet which might have tropical cyclones. Your departure must be timed to work with the Asian monsoon season; there are no ifs ands or buts. For this reason, your plan for a non-stop may not be safe; consider being flexible about this.

As for your boat - my opinion is you're looking too large. If this is not flexible, strongly consider purchasing a used vessel - just a couple years old - in the sizes and models you're looking at. Unlike many production items, sailboats are primarily customs. The flaws in any given unit may take several years to show up under normal coastal use.

For the trip you are contemplating, I would suggest a custom-built Ted Brewer Jason 33, with rig adjustments for modern sail designs. I believe for the price you're considering you could have a custom aluminum edition constructed in the Puget Sound area with rig by Brion Toss and sails by Hasse for about $400k.

Old 19-07-2008, 08:35   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
If you like Ted Brewer, and aluminum. Then google Dodge Morgan & American Promise. Good reading book too!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 19:38   #11

Boat: s/v Sildene
I used to ponder visiting the high latitudes myself, and I checked out a 55ft yacht. I came away with the impression that I wasn't going to be able to readily handle the large sails in 40kt plus conditions.
The mast was close to 70ft, and reefing the mainsail in and out in heavy air could sap your muscles and spirit, given that (from all accounts I have read) you do a lot of reefing every day below 50S.

So its probably electric winches or in-mast furling. In-mast furling adds a lot of weight aloft, sacrificing static stability and lowering the AVS. Additionally, if the mechanism gets stuck, you have a problem.

A two-masted boat will ameliorate the above issue, but probably sacrifice upwind ability.

As far as selecting build quality by brand, some brands put out a range of yachts, some only intended for charter work. So to compare apples with apples, you would have to be confident the models you are comparing are built for the same use. I know at 60ft, you expect all to be go-anywhere, but passing below the three capes will be further than most high volume manufacturers imagine anywhere to be.

Aluminum and Steel would have a big advantage should you connect with floating ice.

If you consider a used Open 60 design, you would have to choose carefully since some of them may stay inverted for a while once capsized. Most of the late models will have canting keels with hydraulic rams, adding complexity and risk. The ride will be fast but as bouncy as one can imagine. They are likely to be thoroughly used.

Roughly when are you planning on going and by what route?

Martin
(Good stuff, huge undertaking but hope you persevere)
sildene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 22:05   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbluesail09 View Post

..... for such a voyage thru the southern ocean.
In terms of
1. build quality
2. handling ease
3. reliability & safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgine View Post
...Your probable route is the west-about tradewinds route, with some weather concerns in the western pacific as you approach New Zealand/Australia/Torres, and the southern tip of Africa, plus everywhere on the planet which might have tropical cyclones. .....
I sort of just assumed you were considering the traditional Southern Ocean route with a crossing of the equator somewhere to ensure a "true" circumnavigation.
I can't comment on the boats you have listed as I dont know them nor have I any experience of the Southern Ocean.

As for boat size, I am sure you are aware that a double circumnavigation has been carried out in an SS34 and a triple non stop solo circumnavigation in a 46 footer (2 eastabout and 1 westabout, principally routed through the Southern Ocean). So you shouldn't have any concerns with your selected boats being too small.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2008, 13:02   #13

Hi, thanks for the replies. I intend to leave in November next year. Starting from the dubai or singapore, depending on the sponsors.
I did consider a Marten 49 yacht as well as having custom built by Own Clarke design. Just concerned about the time it would take to build such a yacht and the cost as well.

The Hanse 630 (from what I have researched) is very well built.
I may be have to be flexible on doing it non-stop. I Intend to speak with the manufacturer to see what are the customizations required for the yacht.

I did think of using an Open 60, there are a couple on the market, still an option.

I may go in for one of the Challenge Business Yachts sailed by Dee Caffarey. However, Alu and Steel are extriemly expensive to maintain. The Hanse is much more economical.
Old 20-07-2008, 15:42   #14

Not expensive to maintain for a single trip.

If you're taking the equatorial antipodal route (a "true" circumnavigation), the usual distance is about 30k iirc. That's less than 300 days for most of the boats, even a 10m. A high-latitude south route can clearly be done in less time - I believe the racing description is a course of at least 21,600 nautical miles.

The Hanse yachts are excellent boats. But like any boat of this size, each one is effectively a unique item, and needs to be judged separately. I've known artists who produce more editions of a single painting than most large yacht builders create of any given design. There have been the occasional Hanse owner who has complained bitterly, and iirc one or two design defects which resulted in costly recalls to have work done. You'll probably find this to be true for every builder in these sizes.

Biggest issue is to find a boat you can feel comfortable and safe on, uses the rig and approach to sailing you follow, and suits your way of life when you're alone for a long time. (A friend who soloed a few long passages found he never went forward of the stbd settee in the cabin for 28 days, used none of the supplies/tools stored there, let alone the head.)

Old 27-07-2008, 02:19   #15

Why not a fast multihull like the Outremer 55 Light.
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation