Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-10-2014, 19:04   #31

Boat: Hans Christian 41T
Re: Solid Fiberglass Monohulls, a list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Neely View Post
Our Hans Christian 33 has solid decks. It seems about 50% do, you can tell the ones with solid decks because they have no wood plugs in the teak decks (screwed from below)
Our Hans Christian 41 also has solid decks. Unlike the 33's that have solid decks, the original teak on ours was screwed down from the top in to solid glass stringers every 12"

Old 08-10-2014, 19:26   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You will find that some designs had no core in their very early years... like the 60's maybe early 70's. But were cored later on so it is time dependent. Rawson is one of them. If you walk on an early Rawson, the decks flex just a little on the foredeck. I really don't understand why builders don't just make up a grid pattern for under decks and avoid the cost of hand laying balsa, buying the Balsa, and covering it with another inner "deck".

I know in the late 90's Waquiez was producing boats with a rigid hard foam core ... real thick like 1.5 " or so. You couldn't push a knife into it.. it was very hard. I was considering buying one and was shown a chunk of hull section with the scheme. Looked like a great idea, may have been expensive though. Is Catana doing this now? I think they were related in some way.... I did find this in regards to a '98 forty eight footer, not sure if this is it or not:
"... the Wauquiez hull benefits from "Interlink Duralite" construction; this technique consists of integrating a closed-cell polyurethane foam core that is vacuum formed between two skins of GRP. Compared to the traditional monolithic construction, it is twice as light, eight times more rigid, and offers additional advantages in sound and thermal insulation. Further strengthening of the hull structure is achieved by an oversized network of stringers and ribs. Total cohesion of all structural components of the boat is a major asset. Every bulkhead and every piece of furniture are laminated into the hull and to the deck, which is then totally integrated to the hull by molded overlaps with mechanical fastenings. ....."

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 20:12   #33

[QUOTE=Cheechako;1649101]You will find that some designs had no core in their very early years... like the 60's maybe early 70's. But were cored later on so it is time dependent. Rawson is one of them. If you walk on an early Rawson, the decks flex just a little on the foredeck. I really don't understand why builders don't just make up a grid pattern for under decks and avoid the cost of hand laying balsa, buying the Balsa, and covering it with another inner "deck".

Is this what you mean by grid pattern? This is the underside of the foredeck of a Hinckley Bermuda 40. Foam stringers form a grid laid up over the solid glass.
It makes for a very stiff deck - I notice no flex when walking on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0183.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	89425  
Old 08-10-2014, 20:38   #34

I have a Niagara 35 and it definitely has a wood core (had some repairs done to it last winter).
Old 08-10-2014, 21:30   #35

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yes, but the early Bristol 27's did had solid fiberglass decks and hulls. Mine is a 1974 and has something like 1 1/2" thick balsa decks. I didn't measure it but it is extremely thick in places.

It's a wonder that a 40 year old boat with balsa decks has no soft spots. The cockpit sole on mine is starting to go, but I may get another year or two out of it.
Actually if all the lessons that were learned in the 60s were followed and subsequent owners have not "upgraded" the hardware it is not surprising at all. I have an Aloha 8.2 that is 30yrs old and has zero moisture in the deck, (i checked it thoroughly last fall with my meter) It has benefited from never being upgraded and presumably reasonable construction.
There is nothing wrong with balsa as a core, used correctly it is much better than a solid glass deck, just less forgiving of low quality builders and owners, a properly engineered foam cored deck is of course better than either.

Steve.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:43   #36

Thanks, folks!

Let's try to keep on topic. No need to debate the cored vs solid construction. I'm just trying to compile a list for future reference as the question seems to come up periodically.

Since many posters here are looking for an older boat, that might not have been maintained all that well, solid construction can save a lot of grief and expense related to repairing soggy decks.

I do appreciate the information on the IP "coring" that does not rot even if there are leaks around deck fittings.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:52   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

IP coring, it is sales literature, so of course the stuff is the greatest thing since sliced bread But I've looked and have not been able to find even one instance of failure, but I am not a boat repair professional, nor am I in the boating industry so I've net seen much.
Island Packet Yachts
Old 09-10-2014, 07:42   #38

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by maj75 View Post
Thanks, folks!

Let's try to keep on topic. No need to debate the cored vs solid construction.
What? Stay on topic?

Humm..... That's something to consider. I don't believe it's ever been tried here.

Tom
Old 09-10-2014, 20:28   #39

The early Morgans prior to purchase by Catalina were solid hull with some plywood or balsa used in certain sections of decks. I only know the layups on the 24/25's and 34's were very solid. My 24/5 is a '68 and the decks are dry and solid. boat does not flex or oil can etc. feels like a larger boat in a sea.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:43   #40

Boat: 1968 Alberg 30

The Alberg 30's and alberg 37's - close to a thousand boats made by Whitby in Canada from 1966 thru the '80's are solid fiberglass hulls, but with cored decks - Masonite (wonderful non absorpion material BTW) in the early boats, then balsa.

Not sure why anyone would want to own an all glass boat, as coring is integral to improving rigidity and strength of FG. FG gains it's strength from the thickness of the cross section, hence coring is a quick and cost effective way to create cross section, without adding an immense amount of labor, resin and mat/roving. Builders laid up super thick all glass structure (hull and deck) as a way to achieve appropriate cross section to gain needed strength- not because all glass hulls had some superior physical characteristic.

My alberg 30 is 46 years old this year and has 1/2" balsa cored decks with great strength, no need for complicated under deck support structure and virtually no core problems.

Actually, where I looking for another boat, the list of all glass boats would be valuable to me as a way to initially eliminate the boats I probably wouldn't want to buy! Oil canning and flexing decks and hulls means a weakness in construction, and would be super worrisome.

Nevertheless, it is fascinating to read the various construction techniques builders have used over the years.
Old 10-10-2014, 20:18   #41
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

I did not post to this thread earlier as my boat's hull and deck are not 100% solid glass, maybe 99% solid glass. But I thought my experience might be helpful for others. I would like to apologize for the thread drift.

Our Compass 47 has a solid glass hull and nearly the entire deck is non cored. There is a small section on the foredeck (3x3 foot section) and the aft half of the cockpit is cored (2x3 foot section). The rest is solid glass with stringers. We had to replace the core in the cockpit, it was about as much fun as the other times I have had to replace core.

This is my first boat that is nearly core-less and I have to say I would not change it in a million years. I Have had more than a few boats (5) that had core problems and it is nice to know that I don't have to worry about it ever again. The deck is stiff and the boat is not a heavy. I feel done right it is a great way to build a deck.
Old 10-10-2014, 20:52   #42

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa View Post
I did not post to this thread earlier as my boat's hull and deck are not 100% solid glass, maybe 99% solid glass. But I thought my experience might be helpful for others. I would like to apologize for the thread drift.

Our Compass 47 has a solid glass hull and nearly the entire deck is non cored. There is a small section on the foredeck (3x3 foot section) and the aft half of the cockpit is cored (2x3 foot section). The rest is solid glass with stringers. We had to replace the core in the cockpit, it was about as much fun as the other times I have had to replace core.

This is my first boat that is nearly core-less and I have to say I would not change it in a million years. I Have had more than a few boats (5) that had core problems and it is nice to know that I don't have to worry about it ever again. The deck is stiff and the boat is not a heavy. I feel done right it is a great way to build a deck.
Sounds like you got a good boat, where was it built? It is quite uncommon to find uncored decks but I would have to agree that well done it could be an excellent option, it is however always going to be considerably heavier than a cored deck so not practical for many boats. I would guess it would be springier, which may bother some of the people who expect a boat deck to be as solid as a concrete sidewalk.

Steve.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:07   #43
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Sounds like you got a good boat, where was it built? It is quite uncommon to find uncored decks but I would have to agree that well done it could be an excellent option, it is however always going to be considerably heavier than a cored deck so not practical for many boats. I would guess it would be springier, which may bother some of the people who expect a boat deck to be as solid as a concrete sidewalk.

Steve.
She was built in Cape Town.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:18   #44

We have a Roberts Mauritius 43, also built in Cape Town in 1991, the boat is solid glass, the hull is over an inch thick... when I first bought her, we were drilling through to put a new depth sounder in and almost burnt the drill out! The deck is solid.
The story goes, it was built by Roberts... now I dont know if this is true, but we love this girl and plan to hang onto her for a while!
Old 11-10-2014, 07:28   #45
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

Most of the Swansons that are not timber are solid glass I believe. Certainly our old Swanson 42 is solid glass (35mm at the turn of the keel) with 2 layers of half inch ply glassed over to make the deck. All pretty simple and robust.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
fiberglass, hull, monohull

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: