Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2015, 13:42   #1

Solid FG Hull Damage

There has been a Hinckley Bermuda 40 on E-BAY since, roughly, June.

Beautiful boat. However, not shown, or otherwise evident in the EBay listing, is a below the waterline puncture.

Besides the obvious project items: patching the hole, fixing/replacing the engine/electronics, rewiring, pumping out the fuel tank, is there anything else to be concerned with?

As opposed to a cored structure, it seems that it would take an enormous amount of force to produce such an "unplanned through hull" Could such an amount of force, necessary to pierce an apx 1" solid FG hull produce other, more serious, initially undetectable, structural damage?
dschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 14:12   #2

Boat: Newport 28
Re: Solid FG Hull Damage

My guess is that it would depend on exactly what was impacted to cause the hole. If it was something very pointed and sharp that made a piercing hole, then it's likely to be localized to that area, which you would be repairing anyway when you fair out the hole to re-glass it. If it was something very blunt however, it may have stressed it farther outward. Or if there was a pinching collision, then who knows. Really probably depends on how it happened, of course there might be no way to know, depending on if the seller knows the full history.
Old 19-10-2015, 14:26   #3
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

The short answer is "yes".

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 14:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschultz View Post
Could such an amount of force, necessary to pierce an apx 1" solid FG hull produce other, more serious, initially undetectable, structural damage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
The short answer is "yes".
In case you do not know, pay close attention to Minaret's opinion. He knows a thing or two or three about FG.

What did the owner say caused the "unplanned through hull?"

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 14:56   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Lots of boats with a lot less damage have been repaired and are back out there sailing. Yes, there can be other problems especially if the breaches were caused by a hull speed collision with a rock. Such an accident puts tremendous loads on the rig often bringing it down. If the boat washed onto a lee shore that abraided the hull, hidden or more extensive damage is less likely. Definitely something that you wouldn't buy sight unseen.

The listing shows the damage though they weren't overly forthcoming in detailing the extent of damage. The starting price definitely wasn't low enough to cover more than just the cosmetic repairs, however.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 15:09   #6

Quote:
I haven't talked to him/them since I looked at the boat, back in July. I'm guessing that it was totaled and they bought it from the insurance company, looking to make a quick profit.

Yes, Minaret's reply is in line with my thinking. Poking such a hole in solid FG without doing more serious damage is a low probability event.
Old 19-10-2015, 15:23   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Even if it was caused by a sharp object, it takes a lot of energy to perforate FG that thick. And cracks/damage tend to spider web out a fair distance from the original point of impact; be they visible to the eye or no.

Also, you have to consider what such an impact did to things like; the laminates in, & bond lines to - any floor grid(s), or keel floors. Ditto on the tabbing on other structural members, whether they be; furniture, bulkheads, liner pans, etc.

And if things like bulkheads are getting pushed on, & or out of place on one side of the boat, odds are they'll be doing some pushing on things in other areas where they meet the hull, as well.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 15:30   #8

Quote:
The listing shows the damage though they weren't overly forthcoming in detailing the extent of damage.
I don't think it shows the through-and-through. It shows some (in places severe) abrasion, and a poorly done patch of some sort.

Quote:
The starting price definitely wasn't low enough to cover more than just the cosmetic repairs, however.
Yes, I believe that he started at $70k.
Then there's the electric and the repower.
Old 19-10-2015, 15:47   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I was involved in the rewiring of a new Catalina punctured and sunk in Katrina.
Contractors cost just for the rewire in 2006 ...... $60k Canadian.
Old 19-10-2015, 15:47   #10

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
There has been a Hinckley Bermuda 40 on E-BAY since, roughly, June.

Beautiful boat. However, not shown, or otherwise evident in the EBay listing, is a below the waterline puncture.

Besides the obvious project items: patching the hole, fixing/replacing the engine/electronics, rewiring, pumping out the fuel tank, is there anything else to be concerned with?

As opposed to a cored structure, it seems that it would take an enormous amount of force to produce such an "unplanned through hull" Could such an amount of force, necessary to pierce an apx 1" solid FG hull produce other, more serious, initially undetectable, structural damage?
Fibreglass hulls are generally infinitely repairable with little to no loss of strength or toughness.

Latent defects such as delamination and osmosis blistering will probably be readily detectable. Detectability of the true damage, other than the hole in the hull, may be harder to fathom up front. Think corrosion of interior components like wiring, core integrity etc.

The question becomes one of cost, time, capability, resale and repair quality. Your risk appetite will likely be different to mine.

Repairs need to be adequate to recover the original utility. If you are prepared to fix it properly you just might end up with a great boat.

Do you have the time, money and skills needed? I doubt you'll save money over buying a good boat and doing some upgrades.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 09:47   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
In case you do not know, pay close attention to Minaret's opinion. He knows a thing or two or three about FG.

Later,
Dan
Yes is the right answer. From what was said about condition don't spend your money on a basket case. It will cost you more in the long run.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 10:00   #12

Is this the one on ebay for $54K? The description says there was water in the cabin and engine, engine does not run, etc. Now maybe its just my ignorance, but $54K for a boat that's been sunk (looks like a big hole on the port side), and whose major systems are nonfunctional seems wishful thinking...
cgilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 11:05   #13

Quote:
Is this the one on ebay for $54K?
That's the one. It started in June at 70. My offer of 25 was immediately rejected.
Old 20-10-2015, 11:09   #14

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

First, I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only one who surfs the boats on ebay looking for that deal of a lifetime.

Next...Beautiful boat. What a shame it got wrecked. I especially love the main cabin layout with pilot berths on both sides...my kids have always wanted that layout. its on some C&C41 as well.

From the look of the rudder damage, and the other scars on the bottom, my guess is the boat went ashore at a rocky place. Plenty of long scars and abrasion at keel and rudder. Based on this, you have to assume the worst, and that nothing works. The price should be much lower...the investment to get that boat working again will be huge. IMHO, you could do much better with that sort of money, and get a boat that is (almost) ready to sail. There are so many old boats for sale, and the prices are low. Remember, the ones we see advertised are the overpriced ones that don't sell. The ones that sell go for prices so low the owners want to cry.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 11:12   #15

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
That's the one. It started in June at 70. My offer of 25 was immediately rejected.
They might be kicking themselves now for turning you down...have you considered re-offering the same (or lower)?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull